Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Talk about anything KISS related here.
User avatar
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)
Posts: 2689
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: Lurking somewhere in the back of my mind...

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm

metalbearuk wrote:Cannot get into it at all, where are all the hooks and big choruses? I hope this isn't the last Kiss album as they would be going out with a whimper rather than a bang. Didn't I read somewhere this was going to be a cross between 'Destroyer' and 'Revenge'. There is absolutely no trace of 'Destroyer' on this album. Totally disappointed.

They always say the new album is a cross between Destroyer & Revenge tho!

But totally agree when you say no big choruses, I think there's a few hooks but nothin that makes you want to punch the air and go nuts!

3rd & 4th play now and the 'skip' button has come into use! Namely on HoH/Devil Is Me & All For The...

Strangely the TT tune is becoming the one that is grabbing me the most. Cheesy as it is, it's the only tune that has any KISS 'feel' to it and a sing-a-long chorus. Who'd have thought!
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

Image

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:09 pm
Location: James, London

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby kingjames1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm

I've only listened to it a couple of times so far. I love Hell or Hallelujah and Shout Mercy. The rest of it, is a little too forgettable to me so far. Although most of the albums I love the most grew on me over time, so I really hope that is the case this time because I'd hate to be a bit meh over a KISS album. I had a better initial reaction to Sonic Boom in all honesty.

Gene's singing is top notch though as is the drumming.

I also like the idea of them not using outside help but for gawd's sake hire a lyricist! I found myself cringing at all the cliches and wouldn't it be fab if Tommy's song wasn't about being a spaceman?!

User avatar
nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"
Contact:

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Tommy could cover 'the great pretender'.. :)
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

User avatar
AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)
Posts: 2232
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby AxeBass » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 pm

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:
metalbearuk wrote:Cannot get into it at all, where are all the hooks and big choruses? I hope this isn't the last Kiss album as they would be going out with a whimper rather than a bang. Didn't I read somewhere this was going to be a cross between 'Destroyer' and 'Revenge'. There is absolutely no trace of 'Destroyer' on this album. Totally disappointed.

They always say the new album is a cross between Destroyer & Revenge tho!

But totally agree when you say no big choruses, I think there's a few hooks but nothin that makes you want to punch the air and go nuts!

3rd & 4th play now and the 'skip' button has come into use! Namely on HoH/Devil Is Me & All For The...

Strangely the TT tune is becoming the one that is grabbing me the most. Cheesy as it is, it's the only tune that has any KISS 'feel' to it and a sing-a-long chorus. Who'd have thought!


I hope you downloaded it, then you can bin the skip button and hit delete .....

My 4th listen and it keeps getting better... Classic Kiss. :D

Pete
Moderator
Posts: 17096
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:01 pm
Location: Lost in Limbo...

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 am

AxeBass wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:
metalbearuk wrote:Cannot get into it at all, where are all the hooks and big choruses? I hope this isn't the last Kiss album as they would be going out with a whimper rather than a bang. Didn't I read somewhere this was going to be a cross between 'Destroyer' and 'Revenge'. There is absolutely no trace of 'Destroyer' on this album. Totally disappointed.

They always say the new album is a cross between Destroyer & Revenge tho!

But totally agree when you say no big choruses, I think there's a few hooks but nothin that makes you want to punch the air and go nuts!

3rd & 4th play now and the 'skip' button has come into use! Namely on HoH/Devil Is Me & All For The...

Strangely the TT tune is becoming the one that is grabbing me the most. Cheesy as it is, it's the only tune that has any KISS 'feel' to it and a sing-a-long chorus. Who'd have thought!


I hope you downloaded it, then you can bin the skip button and hit delete .....

My 4th listen and it keeps getting better... Classic Kiss. :D



Each to their own...
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Image

User avatar
grunge
Peter Criss (1978)
Posts: 2015
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:05 am
Location: Walsall, West Of The Midlands! Official KISS ARMY Member #1010 XBox Live: Oh4Q

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby grunge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm

I only listened to it once - I'm ashamed to say.

Again, Gene's bass tone is what stands out for me (as it did on SB) - it just hold everything together and his playing is at its best - love that. He must have seen my quote that Thayer08 has as his sig! ;)

I'm crap with song titles but, one had the MC5's Kick out the Jams riff (Back to the Stone Age?) and the song after ES plays homage to EC and slaps the COTN intro in as a drum fill - thats pretty cool! I think Eric loves that tbh - He played it at the Islington sound check IIRC?

It didn't grab me 1st time round as much as SB but, I'm not complaining - KISS have a new album out! :D
Danger You, Danger Me, Danger Mouse!
Shock Me - Put on your black SWEATER!


ImageImageImage ImageImage

User avatar
Spooky_Von_Glitter
Dynasty (1979)
Posts: 2708
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby Spooky_Von_Glitter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Mine just arrived!
No time to listen to it though. May have to make an excuse for a drive somewhere soI can listen to it uninterrupted!
Image
Derp de derp de diddly derp!

User avatar
Starscreamsrevenge
Destroyer (1976)
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby Starscreamsrevenge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm

I've had a few listens to it now. I think its a very solid album, much heavier than Sonic Boom that's for sure. I think Tommy's song is one of the best of the album (so hope it gets an airing live). I think Eric's song is different, but it isn't nessecerily a bad song. I think if it had been a bit more heavier it would 'gel' more with the rest of the album.

So now a few of us have had a few listens, I'll start a new poll asking which should be played live. Maybe if enough vote, we might get more than the average 3 new songs from a new album!!
ACE RULES!!!! (But Tommy isn't doing too bad) ACE-) ACE-) ACE-) ACE-)

User avatar
Frehley75
Moderator
Posts: 2533
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 am
Location: Kettering

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby Frehley75 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 pm

grunge wrote: MC5's Kick out the Jams riff (Back to the Stone Age?) and the song after ES plays homage to EC and slaps the COTN intro in as a drum fill - thats pretty cool! I think Eric loves that tbh - He played it at the Islington sound check IIRC?

That's "Shout Mercy", still the best thing on it for me, I noticed the drums yesterday and rewound it a few times just to make sure, it' is "Creatures". Great to hear! Haven't noticed a "KOTJ" riff but will be listening out next time it gets played.
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"

User avatar
nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"
Contact:

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby nicksmithworld » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm

feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

User avatar
AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)
Posts: 2232
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby AxeBass » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:03 pm

nicksmithworld wrote:Bruce's review:

http://www.kulick.net/message.shtml


Bruce's comparison to his own back catalogue!

User avatar
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)
Posts: 2689
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: Lurking somewhere in the back of my mind...

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 pm

AxeBass wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:They always say the new album is a cross between Destroyer & Revenge tho!

But totally agree when you say no big choruses, I think there's a few hooks but nothin that makes you want to punch the air and go nuts!

3rd & 4th play now and the 'skip' button has come into use! Namely on HoH/Devil Is Me & All For The...

Strangely the TT tune is becoming the one that is grabbing me the most. Cheesy as it is, it's the only tune that has any KISS 'feel' to it and a sing-a-long chorus. Who'd have thought!


I hope you downloaded it, then you can bin the skip button and hit delete .....


My 4th listen and it keeps getting better... Classic Kiss. :D

Wash your keyboard! I'm a 'hold the product in your hand' type! None of this 'downloading' for me.
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

Image

User avatar
AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)
Posts: 2232
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby AxeBass » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 pm

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Wash your keyboard! I'm a 'hold the product in your hand' type! None of this 'downloading' for me.


Keyboard? Keyboard? I'll wipe my screen for you if that is what you mean! ..... And you said the sound on the album is dated :lol:

by*agrmt
Alive II (1977)
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby by*agrmt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm

This is definitely 'the only album to put on your revolver'!

Fave track; Lonely Is The Hunter.

kissengland
The Originals (1976)
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:58 pm
Location: near Birmingham, Nokisstourland (formely England)

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby kissengland » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 pm

It's grown on me
:lol:
You can all sleep easy now
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Give Me Measures Of Pleasure And Pain, Boiling The Blood In My Veins


Return to “General KISS Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests