November a good and awful Kiss month

Talk about anything KISS related here.
acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

November a good and awful Kiss month

Postby acesmiddlefinger » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:12 am

23-24th November a couple of dates relating to KISS that bring back some wonderful memories and a painful one.

Nov 23rd 1982
Virgin Megastore(30 years ago yesterday) just an unbelievable day,Creatures Promo in London. A friend and i travelled down to London and had a fantastic day.First time we met our heroes, the whole band were amazing with us,especially Eric Carr( where the f**k is that photo).Unforgettable!!!

Nov 23rd 1998
Travelled on my own to see KISS play MSG and met up with a group of felllow KISS fans some who still frequent this forum.Twas a great trip and im happy to say that the people off that trip still remain great friends today.In fact many many more KISS/music related events have been enjoyed since that trip.To all those friends many thanks for your friendship over the years,hopefully there are more good times to come.

Nov24th 1991
The darkest day in my time as a KISS fan,the passing of Eric Carr. Due to Freddie Mercury dying and the absence of the internet,i didnt find out about his passing until a few days after. I was upset,some would ask why because i didnt know him but having met him a few times he had always seemed a genuine guy who treated KISS fans with respect. He came along at a time when KISS needed a real shot in the arm and i think his enthusiasm coupled with his drumming ability quickly endeared him to the KISS army. He is sadly missed,he left us way too soon.RIP Eric.
As already mentioned Freddie died on the same day as Eric,while not a major Queen fan my sister was.She didnt speak for a week,she was so upset.We always had friendly discussions about who was better and one time she was off to Brum NEC to see Queen.One of her friends dropped out and she offered me a ticket,being so KISS proud i refused.Every time she returned from seeing Queen she was in a daze,pretty much like me with KISS. One of the biggest regrets i have in my life is turning down that ticket,i just couldnt catch Queen anywhere after that due to other commitments. RIP Freddie sadly missed.
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'

skinnymartin

Re: November a good and awful Kiss month

Postby skinnymartin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 am

This is a great post.

You're right about Eric, he put something extra into the band at a time when they desperately needed it.

and whatever your feelings about Queen (and I am a fan, but delt with that same Queen/Kiss thing as a teenager)- Freddie was an amazing showman and I feel privileged to have seen that Knebworth show.

R.I.P.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes

crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Postby crad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:11 am

Good memories for me also ... Took my nephew to his first Kiss concert at Brum NEC on the 20th 1996 ...
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD

Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Postby Father Jack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:17 am

RIP Eric. 21 years, where has that time gone ??

kissengland
The Originals (1976)

Postby kissengland » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Still miss that Fox
Give Me Measures Of Pleasure And Pain, Boiling The Blood In My Veins

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:34 pm

acesmiddlefinger wrote:23-24th November a couple of dates relating to KISS that bring back some wonderful memories and a painful one.

Nov 23rd 1982
Virgin Megastore(30 years ago yesterday) just an unbelievable day,Creatures Promo in London. A friend and i travelled down to London and had a fantastic day.First time we met our heroes, the whole band were amazing with us,especially Eric Carr( where the f**k is that photo).Unforgettable!!!

Nov 23rd 1998
Travelled on my own to see KISS play MSG and met up with a group of felllow KISS fans some who still frequent this forum.Twas a great trip and im happy to say that the people off that trip still remain great friends today.In fact many many more KISS/music related events have been enjoyed since that trip.To all those friends many thanks for your friendship over the years,hopefully there are more good times to come.

Nov24th 1991
The darkest day in my time as a KISS fan,the passing of Eric Carr. Due to Freddie Mercury dying and the absence of the internet,i didnt find out about his passing until a few days after. I was upset,some would ask why because i didnt know him but having met him a few times he had always seemed a genuine guy who treated KISS fans with respect. He came along at a time when KISS needed a real shot in the arm and i think his enthusiasm coupled with his drumming ability quickly endeared him to the KISS army. He is sadly missed,he left us way too soon.RIP Eric.
As already mentioned Freddie died on the same day as Eric,while not a major Queen fan my sister was.She didnt speak for a week,she was so upset.We always had friendly discussions about who was better and one time she was off to Brum NEC to see Queen.One of her friends dropped out and she offered me a ticket,being so KISS proud i refused.Every time she returned from seeing Queen she was in a daze,pretty much like me with KISS. One of the biggest regrets i have in my life is turning down that ticket,i just couldnt catch Queen anywhere after that due to other commitments. RIP Freddie sadly missed.

Hey AMF.

Wasn't at Virgin Megastore. :( :-(

But did see Freddie and Queen at Manc's Main Road and Knebworth 1986

Was with you at Meadowlands and The Garden. Still proud to call you, your lovely lady and that rebelious daughter of yours :wink: Great friends. Others on the trip too ... brill times.

24/25 Nov - I won't state it as drastically as that my world cave in. Loosing Eric and Freddie, like you AMF it was late, late on the 25th I heard and for a few years I thought both had died on the same day (not withstanding the time difference)
Been lucky in being able to visit Eric's resting place over the years

and leaving notes and flowers in his memory.

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Well here we are again..21 years since we lost Freddie and Eric..their Flame still burns as strongly..

I was living in Stoke in 1991 as I was student at (North) Staffordshire University (polytechnic then).

I had just got into my student house when Sue (one of the girls I shared the house with) said "oh, the drummer from Kiss has died!" I said "Peter Criss??!!" Thinking drug overdose.., she said "No, that didn't sound like the name"(she wasn't a rock fan). I said "NOT Eric Carr??" and she said, "yes that was it I think!".

I remember that feeling of disbelief hoping that she'd got it wrong and that it was some other drummer from some other band, y'know - one I didn't like and therefore didn't matter-selfish I know- shock makes your brain do weird things..but we put the radio on and eventually it was announced again.I felt that horrible sinking feeling, that mix of helplessness and the pain of loss.

If you remember there was that announcement, the day before Freddie Mercury announcing to the world that he was gay..I remember thinking 'why now?' and then he died less that 24 hours later. Freddie's death did overshadow Eric's in this country,but to the masses he was far less known. Also to be honest the British press at that time always seemed to disparage all rock music anyway.

I was gutted..I remember being in school when it was announced John Lennon had been shot and understood that palpable sense of loss you feel, although it's not a friend or family member it someone whose body of work you have come to admire and love and whose passing you will miss for many reasons. :cry:
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:56 pm

feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

madmark
Double Platinum (1978)

Postby madmark » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm

I met Eric after the Virgin Megastore thing at The Hilton where the band were staying and I still treasure that evening because he was one of the most genuine and down-to-earth people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting , I have a photo of him and me and it is one of my most treasured possessions..
Where ever you are Eric I really hope you enjoying yourself ,because you made a whole lot of people very very happy... :cry:
Ziggy played guitar...or was it Ronson?

Hutchie
Alive! (1975)

Postby Hutchie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:43 pm

I found out on my birthday (25th) , turned it into a proper shit day. Never met him, but everyone speaks so highly of him that have. gone too soon for sure.

MrBlackwell
Alive II (1977)

Postby MrBlackwell » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:38 pm

acesmiddlefinger wrote:23-24th November a couple of dates relating to KISS that bring back some wonderful memories and a painful one.

Nov 23rd 1982

Nov 23rd 1998

Nov24th 1991

I've still got all my photos from the COTN Virgin Megastore M&G...what a fantastic day!

I was working away from home when Eric passed away. My Dad phoned me up after it had been on the news that day (mentioned VERY briefly after a long segment about Freddy Mercury).
High Priest of Kisstianity.

MrBlackwell
Alive II (1977)

Postby MrBlackwell » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

acesmiddlefinger wrote:
Nov 23rd 1982

Here's mine of him from that day...

This is what I got signed...though I wish now that I'd got them to sign COTN.

High Priest of Kisstianity.

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:35 pm

The New York/New Jersey shows in November 1998 were great . The whole trip was fantastic , with some great tales to tell (going from New Jersey into NYC to go back to Jersey for a start!) & I met some marvellous & very friendly like minded people.

Very proud to have gotten to know a few of those folk very well & consider them as friends.

Just a shame that November will always be tinged with the sadness of losing both Eric & Freddie.
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Return to “General KISS Chat”