Has Gene Simmons lost the demon character?

Talk about anything KISS related here.
TONYSOUTH
Alive II (1977)

Has Gene Simmons lost the demon character?

Postby TONYSOUTH » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Did Gene Simmons lose the demon character?

Late night I watched the latest podcast, the subject was has Gene lost the demon character, I don’t agree with everything these guys say, but it got me thinking have the KISS Army lost their edge? Is it now to diverse? I know KISS have been around for 40 years so the fan base as changed over this time, when you go to concerts you see young kids, families, teenagers and old farts like me.

Thinking back to the Sonic Boom tour, Sheffield was nowhere near full, but the atmosphere was excellent, Paul even made comment about it and the demographic was mainly adults and hard core kiss fans, I was about standing about three rows back and everyone was really in to it. At Birmingham I told the wife and daughter and we sat because of this, when I stood up when KISS came on, someone behind told me to sit down as they could not see, I looked around and it was a family of four, with the oldest being around 5 years old, I did as asked but I could not believe I was at a KISS show and people were sitting down, at London the last night of the tour, I arrived at 10:00 in the morning joined the queue and we talked all day about KISS and when we got in, we were right at the front and unlike Sheffield it was full but the atmosphere to me was flat, there was no buzz or real feeling of the magic of a KISS show. But the Kentish Town Forum show was mind-blowing; I think it was because it was a small gig with real hard core KISS fans.

Going back to my first concert at Stafford when I was 19, there was a real feeling of a hard rock gig, there was a fight in the queue between two groups and security had to break it up, I don’t condone this type of behaviour, but when KISS came on stage the place was like a zoo and we all had a great time!

I remember going to a Disturbed (I know must KISS fans will not like them) gig at Rock city in Nottingham and it was the scariest gig I have ever been too, but after I was buzzing and all the way home, my friends and I couldn’t stop speaking about the night and the real natural high.

So is it me just being an old grumpy fart or is it just the way it is for a group that has been going for 40 years :?: Also has Gene lost the demon character :?:
This is only my opinion… it is neither right nor wrong (but my lovely wife tells me I'm always wrong)!

starchildmark
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Re: Has Gene Simmons lose the demon character?

Postby starchildmark » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Kiss are all things to all people, I understand where you are coming from, but i think times and people change
I for one have changed over the 34 years i have loved the band, i have bought all the albums, and everything i could get with kiss one it.
Now at the tender age of 45 all i want to do is listen to the songs that filled my life with joy and got me through the bad and good times.
The make up doesnt interest me like it did, I am not that fussed if i never see them again live, been there done it, I gave away my Kiss collection to someone who couldnt afford any stuff, and i knew he would look after it.
I am not the biggest fan of the new album.
But Kiss are in my blood and my soul and i will always listen to them as long as i live.
so has Gene lost the demon. he lost it with me years ago, he is just the bass player and singer in my fav band
that is how i see Kiss now, I am sure others would have a different take. what every it is, i wish you well

TONYSOUTH
Alive II (1977)

Re: Has Gene Simmons lose the demon character?

Postby TONYSOUTH » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

starchildmark wrote:Kiss are all things to all people, I understand where you are coming from, but i think times and people change
I for one have changed over the 34 years i have loved the band, i have bought all the albums, and everything i could get with kiss one it.
Now at the tender age of 45 all i want to do is listen to the songs that filled my life with joy and got me through the bad and good times.
The make up doesnt interest me like it did, I am not that fussed if i never see them again live, been there done it, I gave away my Kiss collection to someone who couldnt afford any stuff, and i knew he would look after it.
I am not the biggest fan of the new album.
But Kiss are in my blood and my soul and i will always listen to them as long as i live.
so has Gene lost the demon. he lost it with me years ago, he is just the bass player and singer in my fav band
that is how i see Kiss now, I am sure others would have a different take. what every it is, i wish you well

Cheers for the feedback, I know that everyone as their own personal way of being a kiss fan and it's good to hear yours :wink: Tony
This is only my opinion… it is neither right nor wrong (but my lovely wife tells me I'm always wrong)!

frontier(s)
Alive II (1977)

Re: Has Gene Simmons lost the demon character?

Postby frontier(s) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Assuming any of the four really believed in their Kiss personas at any time, my guess would be that it was lost as soon as the band became massively commercially successful. In many ways, the personas only existed because they hadn't gained any level of success or widespread fame at that point. History also tends to suggest that the more widely known they became, the more they wanted to be known for who they really were.

I do believe that each of the original members did some genuine soul searching in order to originate the personas, and certainly Gene and Ace's seemed to correspond to their real life personalities and characters, but I think it was mainly done in order to create a marketable image and presentation for the band. And it certainly worked.

The Starchild and The Cat personas never really felt very genuine to me.

With the greatest respect, I feel it's fair to say that the quick transition from The Hawk to The Fox indicates that Eric Carr's Kiss persona wasn't particularly serious and the less said about The Ankh Warrior charade the better.

So, has Gene Simmons lost the demon character? Yes, since about 1978, I'd say. His current incarnation reminds me more of Lordi than the darker, leaner, punkier and more edgy version of the early/mid-70s.

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Gene's new persona is called the 'stockbroker' - an avaricious, night beast who steals all of the money out of your pockets..well he scares the shit out of me.. :wink:
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

madmark
Double Platinum (1978)

Postby madmark » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

nicksmithworld wrote:Gene's new persona is called the 'stockbroker' - an avaricious, night beast who steals all of the money out of your pockets..well he scares the shit out of me.. :wink:

Ah , Nick ,how we have missed all the positiveness eminating from your very pores.... :D
Ziggy played guitar...or was it Ronson?

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, this thread was just made for me to mouth off and spout out my feelings on this.

But you know what? I just don't care anymore. Which pretty much sums it all up.

And you pretty much said it all anyway!
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

TONYSOUTH
Alive II (1977)

Postby TONYSOUTH » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 am

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Well, this thread was just made for me to mouth off and spout out my feelings on this.

You must care or you wouldn't have made the post, it was my intention to provoke debate, if you agree with my comments or you think I'm talking shit, i just like to hear people's views and counter views it's what life is all about too me :wink:

kissinuk
Administrator

Postby kissinuk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

These podcasts are actually pretty good, one of the guys is Mike who used to run KISS Online.

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 pm

TONYSOUTH wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Well, this thread was just made for me to mouth off and spout out my feelings on this.

You must care or you wouldn't have made the post, it was my intention to provoke debate, if you agree with my comments or you think I'm talking shit, i just like to hear people's views and counter views it's what life is all about too me :wink:

Well as you asked!

I completely agree about the crowd thing. It used to be seriously dangerous down the front! Stafford 80 was a war zone!! Leeds 83 was frantic. Any of the standing shows were mental! There was PASSION in the crowd. These days I'd guess that 50% of the crowd is just there to 'see the clowns' where as before they were there because it was FUCKIN KISS!!!!! I guess that's what happens when a band has been around so long to attract a new breed of fans. Which I guess is a good thing, but, and I think this sums up my feelings better than anything, KISS these days are the guest who has stayed too long at a party and just didn't know it was time to leave.

When you go to a RnR show you get asked to sit down, something is wrong! On the SB tour I got into Manchester aout 20mins before KISS came on. Back in the day you'd have had no chance of getting down the front without a real struggle. It took me 5minutes. I just walked down and ended up right up against the barrier. Me n me mates even commented on it at the show cos we were stunned it was so easy. In Urecht 97, I got in late and it took me the whole show to get down the front! But it was worth it cos I came away with Pauls guitar!!

For me that's why I'd rather see KISS in an Apollo, or Odeon, venue cos you get the fans who really WANT to be there, not a crowd of 50%+ who are just 'there' & there to hear one song! And while it was spectacular to see all those peeps singing along to 'that song', all that went through my head was 'Why didn't Let Me Go RnR', 'Deuce' or 'Black Diamond' get the same responce? It was the same on the ALIVE 35 tour, the crowds were dead during most of the main set until the encores came around.

I've believed this since the Farewell Tour but KISS don't attract hard core rabid fans anymore (see ALIVE II inner sleeves), they attract fans who just want a night out and probably have a 'Greatest Hits' album and that's all they know.
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

TONYSOUTH
Alive II (1977)

Postby TONYSOUTH » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 am

RippingFleshFromTheBone

Cheers mate, hope it helped getting off your chest, if the only uk show this year is at a festival, I believe it will be the same, because most fans there will not be hard core :( I hope not :?: so any more comments let keep is going and have your say, do you agree or are am I living in the past :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: also watch the podcasts they do get you thinking about KISS and your life following them good or bad :o

Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Postby Father Jack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am

Lets be honest here, its not just kiss fans that are to blame. Today's breed of "rock fan" is a flimsy, pathetic shadow of what rock fans were in the 70's / 80's and early 90's. If you even dare move, jump around, fart or do anything that involves knocking them whilst they're filming on their mobile phones then you're a nasty man and shouldn't be there in the first place. How very dare you even consider paying money to have a good time ??
There are also a lot of biddies at shows now who are trying desperately to recapture an aspect of their lives now long gone, but still can't help themselves have a moan at the youngun's for daring to stand up and partially block their pefect line of sight.
Times have changed since the 80's when as Adam states, it was luck of the draw if you got your ribs broken at a concert. The advent of the internet, youtripe & multiple live band dvd's has lost a lot of what concert going should be about. People now expect a generic replica of a show the same as they would sat at home in their comfy chair watching it on their tv.
Still, as long as we have the likes of Adam (and Bay) ploughing their way to the front at kiss shows, those concerts will at least have an element of danger......well, they will for those poor shits in the way. :lol:

TONYSOUTH
Alive II (1977)

Postby TONYSOUTH » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am

Father Jack wrote:Lets be honest here, its not just kiss fans that are to blame. Today's breed of "rock fan" is a flimsy, pathetic shadow of what rock fans were in the 70's / 80's and early 90's. If you even dare move, jump around, fart or do anything that involves knocking them whilst they're filming on their mobile phones then you're a nasty man and shouldn't be there in the first place. How very dare you even consider paying money to have a good time ??
There are also a lot of biddies at shows now who are trying desperately to recapture an aspect of their lives now long gone, but still can't help themselves have a moan at the youngun's for daring to stand up and partially block their pefect line of sight.
Times have changed since the 80's when as Adam states, it was luck of the draw if you got your ribs broken at a concert. The advent of the internet, youtripe & multiple live band dvd's has lost a lot of what concert going should be about. People now expect a generic replica of a show the same as they would sat at home in their comfy chair watching it on their tv.
Still, as long as we have the likes of Adam (and Bay) ploughing their way to the front at kiss shows, those concerts will at least have an element of danger......well, they will for those poor shits in the way. :lol:

I hate to blow smoke up your arse, but you are spot on along with RFFTB comments, long live the rant that is FJ, love in over from another miz old git

Ma
Gene Simmons (1978)

Postby Ma » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 am

I guess im the only person that likes to sit down at concerts then lol :lol:

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:05 am

Ma wrote:I guess im the only person that likes to sit down at concerts then lol :lol:

Wonder why that is? :wink:

Sitting at a concert is fine if it's Erasure or Kylie Minogue. Sitting at a rock concert...well just doesn't sit right with me. As long as my (getting ever) old(er) bones can take it I'll stand.
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Return to “General KISS Chat”