Origins - Some thoughts

Talk about anything KISS related here.
benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Origins - Some thoughts

Postby benambro » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:02 pm

I think the album is pretty solid, some great tunes and Ace's playing is just top notch. I don't like the way everything seems so distorted, I get it with Ace's vocals but it sounds over produced and over done. Some of Ace's notes are flat, and even though he isn't a lead singer I wish he'd re-do some of them. When I first read that Ace was doing 'Cold Gin' I was very disappointed, that song has been done to death by Kiss, and I just feel like it drags. However, Ace with Mike McCready give it a new, exciting tone which I really enjoy and his singing is not too bad either. Loving Fire and Water, Paul sounds really good and I hope this little venture will push Kiss in doing another album, or at least himself. Other songs I really like are White Room, Parasite and Wild Thing. Some of the songs are probably going to need a bit more of a listen to work out if I like them or not and for me you need a break from Ace's vocal on this album.

Overall, I'd give the album 7/10, better than Space Invader in my opinion!

AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Re: Origins - Some thoughts

Postby AxeBass » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:26 am

I just feel the same as most Ace Solo efforts .. Guitars 9/10, vocals 5/10 ... At least the songwriting this time scores high, Anomaly & Space invader would have only made a good EP between them. Ace's creative juices must be dry if covers is his game but he didn't make a bad job of it overall.

b.monkey4
Destroyer (1976)

Postby b.monkey4 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 pm

I used to love Ace. His solo's were an integral part of all the early material. They were melodic...you can sing em for christsakes!
Like Paul said...he just stopped blossoming. The album is mediocre at best...apart from Parasite and Cold Gin, they sound pretty solid, but even then he has to mess around with the arrangements...and not in a good way.
Thank god he wasn't still around for the Creatures sessions. If his version of Rock n Roll Hell is anything to go by we would never have ended up with such a cool sounding album if he had participated.
Apart from the fact that he may finally sing some of his early Kiss compositions, the prospect of Origins 2 doesn't bode well.
READ MY NAME.

benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby benambro » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:10 am

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:39 am

I really like it.

The only downers for me are the additional solo in Cold Gin, totally uncalled for, Wild thing & Emerald.

4/5 for me.
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby benambro » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Ray The Tongue
Alive II (1977)

Postby Ray The Tongue » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Wish he had a go at Talk to Me or Dark Light, rather than Parasite and Cold Gin. I like the album but it's guest singers he needs not guitarists! Rock n Roll Hell, Fire and Water and Magic Carpet Ride work for me.... Think he should release a double live album and DVD.

benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby benambro » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Return to “General KISS Chat”