Just listened to some of my Kiss vinyls...

Talk about anything KISS related here.
BadBoy House
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Just listened to some of my Kiss vinyls...

Postby BadBoy House » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 pm

they sounded amazing. haven't had a record player for years but got the chance earlier to listen to some of my kiss vinyl lps. They sounded amazing!

Do you any of you guys still listen to kiss on vinyl?? i might go out and pick up a record player now...
Check out my Kiss collection on Flickr

Acebwfc66
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Re: Just listened to some of my Kiss vinyls...

Postby Acebwfc66 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm

I have started listening to my vinyl again even though my computer is full of music and shed loads of cd's. I like the smell, the age etc. I just bought a shedload of vinyl at 5p a pop. So not ever one is with us.

w00dy

Postby w00dy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Got my old midi system from out of the loft a few weeks ago and dusted off the old records.
I'd forgoten i'd got some of them.

Creeping Death 12" blue vinyl and a load of other rarities :D

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 am

Got to admit I used to get more pleasure out of buying vinyl than I do cds. As Acebwf says, I love the smell of vinyl records...especially imports!!! (don't ask!!... :oops: ) I just don't get much joy out of owning CD's. Strange really.

I haven't played my vinyl in something like 15 years, since me record player was stolen. Got rid of most of my non KISS vinyl a while back...some of the KISS vinyl is prorbably gonna go soon too...

The one thing I don't like about vinyl, compared to cds, is they weigh so much, when put together! Makes rearranging your room or moving a pain the ass!!... :roll:
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

Roger H
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Postby Roger H » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:46 am

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:32 pm

I am a self confessed Vinyl Junkie .....

RFFB, you are right - about a 100 lps do weigh a tone - my vinyls are stored on warehouse shelfing units and the shelves still buckle! :shock:

My 2,000 lps, 300 12"s and about 500 7"s are my cherished possession. Each item tells a story - where, when, how!

CDs are so much different.

Mp3's and the I-tunes format .... ok i'm olde skool - but that feeling of possession, the feeling of collection, day of release, getting signed by the band - that is ALL lost.

HC - yep I love the smell of vinyl too ..... "let's GET HIGH"!!!!!

Dwight Fry
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby Dwight Fry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:31 pm

I bought my first 'new' vinyl on the weekend for the first time since, ooh, Alive IV. Super Furry Animals found a batch of white vinyl 'Mwng' albums recently and gave them to Spillers Records in Cardiff. I bought one of them. £20. It's pure art. The owner said "It's beautiful, but I no longer own a record player." "Neither do I" I said cheerily as I walked out the shop whistling ‘Mawrth Oer Ar Y Blaned Neifion’

I see a lot of talk about 'original' CDs. I miss the point.

I still collect KISS vinyl from time to time, but money constraints tends to mean that I rarely, if ever, go for the 'mint' versions. I wish. My collection has a warm, lived in feeling. 'Pre loved', I think the Aussies call it. I have more than a few 2nd hand vinyls that still have the original hand drawn artwork of KISS fans from down the years. Some of it pretty good. Some of it mine. You can't beat stuff like that. I like to see stuff that has been appreciated. I don't like stuff in boxes. Give 'em some air. Give the records a spin.

After this experience of buying 'Mwng' this weekend, I feel a new record player being sought out in the near future. If only to play that German 7" version of Calling Dr Love which has the best mix on it EVER. Keep your CDs and downloads. What about the version of 'Hard Times' with the 'surprise' ending? Don't get that on CD.

PyroMessiah86

Postby PyroMessiah86 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:25 pm

One of the very cool things Maiden still does...practically every new album is put out on vinyl also 8)

Collecting vinyl is awesome fun.

darkblue
Destroyer (1976)

Postby darkblue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:23 pm

I'm sitting here listening to a Lone Star LP that I bought for £1 this morning!!

I couldn't be without my record deck in fact when I treated myself to a new sound system a few years back I spent more on the record deck than the CD player. I have around 2000 LPs and various assorted 12"s and 7"s and play records on a daily basis.

As for Kiss stuff, all my collection is mainly o vinyl. I think record companies have and still are squeezing us dry by selling product we already have but repackaged and "re-mixed" and I try hard not to spend my cash on stuff I already have. I bought a couple of Kiss compilations on CD to play in the car but still listen to the real albums on vinyl and you can't beat it. I was sad enough to line up Hard Luck Woman simultaneously on CD and vinyl for my CD loving mate and even he agreed the vinyl had a certain "something" lacking from the CD.

CDs I have because I want the music, records I have because I want the music and because they "feel" good in a way CD never will and only stuff that is unobtainable gets downloaded, youngsters today don't have the same "relationship" with music and bands as before and I blame CD and the internet for that.
These are my people. This is my crowd.

BadBoy House
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby BadBoy House » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:44 pm

great comments chaps!!

yeah there's something about vinyls that make them so much better than cd's - not just the sound but the sleeve/artwork as well - it's more of a package - something to have and display.

good stuff!!
Check out my Kiss collection on Flickr

Frehley75

Postby Frehley75 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:17 pm

I do when I can, which means if I'm the only person in the house, got to move the record player upstairs...

This is what I've got hold of in the last six months since deciding to recollect whatever versions of the seventies albums I could get hold of, if I can't listen to them then just staring at the spines is sometimes enough... :D

"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)

Postby kingjames1970 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Jeeeeesh, what a bunch of luddites! :wink:

*Everyday I can listen to a variety of music on my iPhone wherever I am.
*I can stream music throughout my house if I choose.
*I can create random playlists which often through up tracks I haven't heard in ages.
*I can create my own Kiss Greatest Hits which are the ones I prefer, not the record company.
*Within minutes create a new compilation CD for the car or stream from my iPod using my iTrip to the car radio.
*Use Apple Genius to discover new music based on tracks I like.
*Get new songs in seconds (from a choice of millions) off iTunes rather than trudge to the record shop (of which there are hardly any left and have a poor choice).
*You don't need to change sides
*Vinyl is extremely over-priced, heavy, wears out, crackles and hisses.

The only thing I miss is the covers and I wont deny the closer relationship I had to music when I was younger and bought LPs. But that's maybe cause I could only afford a record every now and then and listened to them to death. And there was nothing like waiting for the release date of the latest Kiss or Maiden record.

I'm not enough of an audiophile to argue about the merits of the sound quality but I strongly suspect people want that to be true rather than it being a conclusive fact. I've heard about this 'warm' quality of vinyl so I suppose that could be the reduced frequency range of CDs – but I'm too old and listened to too much loud metal for years to be able to detect it!

Cool if people prefer it or like it because it's more collectable but it seems like the dark ages to me.

Frehley75

Postby Frehley75 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Oh, I do all those things too, I just like vinyl as well. (Apart from buy something from itunes, that would be madness... :wink: )
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"

AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby AxeBass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:16 pm

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)

Postby kingjames1970 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Return to “General KISS Chat”