Just listened to some of my Kiss vinyls...

Talk about anything KISS related here.
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Re: Just listened to some of my Kiss vinyls...

Postby Sour Mash » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 am

Ive been thinking of getting a deck and buying some vinyl too...my daughters are fascinated by it and have never actually listened to a record.... :(
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..

Dwight Fry
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby Dwight Fry » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:55 pm

kingjames1970 wrote:Thought of another reason against - not environmentally friendly! :D

No, no, vinyl is much better for the environment - most KISS albums have been recycled many hundreds of times from the 70s.

At least, mine look as if they have... :?

Acebwfc66
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Postby Acebwfc66 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 pm

kingjames1970 wrote:Jeeeeesh, what a bunch of luddites! :wink:

*Everyday I can listen to a variety of music on my iPhone wherever I am.
*I can stream music throughout my house if I choose.
*I can create random playlists which often through up tracks I haven't heard in ages.
*I can create my own Kiss Greatest Hits which are the ones I prefer, not the record company.
*Within minutes create a new compilation CD for the car or stream from my iPod using my iTrip to the car radio.
*Use Apple Genius to discover new music based on tracks I like.
*Get new songs in seconds (from a choice of millions) off iTunes rather than trudge to the record shop (of which there are hardly any left and have a poor choice).
*You don't need to change sides
*Vinyl is extremely over-priced, heavy, wears out, crackles and hisses.

The only thing I miss is the covers and I wont deny the closer relationship I had to music when I was younger and bought LPs. But that's maybe cause I could only afford a record every now and then and listened to them to death. And there was nothing like waiting for the release date of the latest Kiss or Maiden record.

I'm not enough of an audiophile to argue about the merits of the sound quality but I strongly suspect people want that to be true rather than it being a conclusive fact. I've heard about this 'warm' quality of vinyl so I suppose that could be the reduced frequency range of CDs – but I'm too old and listened to too much loud metal for years to be able to detect it!

Cool if people prefer it or like it because it's more collectable but it seems like the dark ages to me.

I aint a luddite, I have my i-pod and computer full of mp3's.......but when I pick up my copy of alive2 and open the gate fold Im 11 again and picture myself believing that Gene was a demon and Ace was from space (he is isnt he :? ) so I have set up my deck again and Im listening to all sorts of stuff that I wouldnt otherwise. Today was Maiden Piece of mind & Quireboys little bit of what you fancy (with a stratchy side 2).

Ive lost my lick it up disc, which I am puzzled about, I think I was pi$$ed last time I played it and dont know what ive done with it.

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)

Postby kingjames1970 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Ironically I have two copies of Lick It Up on vinyl! Unfortunately they're at my parents house in Glasgow or I'd post you one.

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 am

KJ1970,

I'm not against the new technology, I just don't understand it and slighty in awe of it.

Friends have their I-pods, Nano's, mp3 players etc - which is great - but with my varied musical taste - if I ever pressed RANDOM f**k knows what the playlist would be ..... death metal, then Dido, then KISS, then Bob Dylan then Helen Love, then Enrique Iglesias then Fear Factory then Cat Stevens then Wombles then ...... I think you get my drift.

Also I can't be bothered uploading it all and then me - either (in my naivety) wiping it all or I would bust the ear phone socket (hands up how many sony walkmans were busted like this? Both my hands are up) - my sonic equipment are bashed around, hammered etc Of the ipods I have seen - they would last about two months with me.

I'm considering putting a mp3 player in the car - so I can do a gig journey 4-5 hours round trip - without changing a cd.

Sourmash - the tide is turning - the new generation are seeing what they are missing .....
Shall I send you the WASP Animal (1st edition) PIG picture disc or the TigertailZ - Bezerk lp pic disc or the Nuclear Assault - Game Over or Survive lp pic discs?

KJ1970 - don't you miss the album artwork and reading the "thank you" list - to see which rock celebrity have kissed arse to be mentioned on the album sleeve! :lol:

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)

Postby kingjames1970 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:15 am

Dan bach wrote:KJ1970 - don't you miss the album artwork and reading the "thank you" list - to see which rock celebrity have kissed arse to be mentioned on the album sleeve! :lol:

Totally forgot about that - yes, I used to love looking at them and sometimes trying to guess who they were! And I always thought it was cool that some rocks stars seemed to know each other.

At a big risk of opening up a bigger debate than vinyl v online/MP3s - I'm a big Apple fan and find all the stuff you're talking about so much easier and intuitive on a Mac rather than a PC. I'm not suggested you go out and buy a Mac but maybe in the future you could consider one if you decide to go a bit more digital?

Incidentally most MP3 players now are flashed based and can take quite a hammering!

Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Postby Mr.Spireite » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:02 am

I must admit I used to be crazy about collecting vinyl and I do agree it does sound better, just a little warmer but I personally now just don't have the room for the vinyl and also the passion for it.

I find the computer is my friend when it comes to music just because I don't have to get off my fat ass and change the lp :lol:

Artwork though is something that has been lost and that's a big shame.

darkblue
Destroyer (1976)

Postby darkblue » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 pm

kingjames1970 wrote:Jeeeeesh, what a bunch of luddites! :wink:

*Everyday I can listen to a variety of music on my iPhone wherever I am.
*I can stream music throughout my house if I choose.
*I can create random playlists which often through up tracks I haven't heard in ages.
*I can create my own Kiss Greatest Hits which are the ones I prefer, not the record company.
*Within minutes create a new compilation CD for the car or stream from my iPod using my iTrip to the car radio.
*Use Apple Genius to discover new music based on tracks I like.
*Get new songs in seconds (from a choice of millions) off iTunes rather than trudge to the record shop (of which there are hardly any left and have a poor choice).
*You don't need to change sides
*Vinyl is extremely over-priced, heavy, wears out, crackles and hisses.

The only thing I miss is the covers and I wont deny the closer relationship I had to music when I was younger and bought LPs. But that's maybe cause I could only afford a record every now and then and listened to them to death. And there was nothing like waiting for the release date of the latest Kiss or Maiden record.

I'm not enough of an audiophile to argue about the merits of the sound quality but I strongly suspect people want that to be true rather than it being a conclusive fact. I've heard about this 'warm' quality of vinyl so I suppose that could be the reduced frequency range of CDs – but I'm too old and listened to too much loud metal for years to be able to detect it!

Cool if people prefer it or like it because it's more collectable but it seems like the dark ages to me.

You have a point with each and every one of the points above and I think this is one of those times where no one's right or wrong, it's just that different things float our boats.

I am in complete agreement that there's 40 billion tracks out there to be downloaded, legally or otherwise, however I just find the whole exercise very sterile and soulless. Yes it's to do with being old fashioned and in fact I happily admit that, my friends think I am mad buying CDs and vinyl these days and storage has at times become an issue, however I am blessed with a very understanding partner who merely shakes her head at the packages that arrive at the house.

As for having to lug my undoubtedly flabby ass to a record store I can genuinely think of no better way of spending my time. I was in a second hand record/CD store for an hour this week and had to tear myself away to go back to work. Much more exciting than typing a name in a browser or checking my recommendations.

My listening habits are quite individual in the sense that I haven't felt the need to make a compilation or hit a shuffle button for many a year. I like to listen to an album in it's entirety in the order that the band and producer spent days deciding on.

PC based music is obviously the way we are headed, even if the music media like to trot out that vinyl is on the way back. Physical product's days are numbered however as a fan of the most visual band in history I will mourn it's passing and spin the record deck one more time.

Anyway, if we are all rockin' out I suppose it's all the same really, just not to a willing Luddite like myself!! :D
These are my people. This is my crowd.

Acebwfc66
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Postby Acebwfc66 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 pm

I got into the habit of creating playlist of my favourite songs then editing them down, etc etc. You end up with your own greatest hits. Its refreshing to put an lp on and listen to the record as the artist wanted you to hear it in the right order and amazing how after years of not hearing a 'filler' lp track that you sing along thinking this is great.

Lps, MP3s, cd....they are all good its just that Im on a vinyl phase at the moment.

BadBoy House
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby BadBoy House » Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 pm

i like the fact that listening on vinyl is how it was originally meant to be (apart from 8 track). i got into Kiss very late on (2002 would you believe) when everything was already on cd and easy to get hold of.

i picked up one of these to listen to all the kiss vinyl i've been buying off ebay recently: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LUXVZU/sr=8-1/qid=1240861579/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1240861579&sr=8-1&seller=

the sound is surprisingly good from the build it speakers and you can hook it up to a stereo system.
Check out my Kiss collection on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8758858@N03/

darkblue
Destroyer (1976)

Postby darkblue » Fri May 01, 2009 6:44 pm

It looks a bit like a George Foreman lean mean grilling machinen :shock: .

However if it's sound is OK then that's all that matters.
These are my people. This is my crowd.

BadBoy House
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby BadBoy House » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm

lol yeah it does a bit.
Check out my Kiss collection on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8758858@N03/

Return to “General KISS Chat”