For all the newbies...

Talk about anything KISS related here.
spaceace77
KISS (1974)

Re: For all the newbies...

Postby spaceace77 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Hello you lot, been a visitor on the site for a couple of years now but don't post much.
Well here goes.
How did i get in to the band?
I was 11 in 1978 and everyone was into different music at school ala lizzy,dc,zep. Think around that time i was into Rainbow and loved the artwork of album covers (rainbow rising is still one of my faves)!It was last day of term and a girl brought into school the destroyer album and i was hooked by that album cover. That christmas i got Alive 2 from my mum and when i opened the gatefold, i was completely sold! I always remember my mum saying 'i wonder what it was like to have been there' and me replying 'i'll never know'. I was a fan up until the make-up came off and the 'ballads' came in, then ashamedly went 'disco dancing' for a few years :roll: ! Then when the hair metal glam scene went, i started to go to the rigger in newcastle-under-lyme and got back into rock and metal. It was around this time the tribute bands were on the scene and went to see deuce (remember them?) at the stage in hanley, and that was that. Sold again! Ever since then everyone calls me Kelv the KISS fan!

What is your fave record/dvd/member?
I have to say it has to be Alive 2. When i here God of Thunder, my hairs stand on the back of my neck like they did the first time i heard it but now i've mellowed a bit by old age, i enjoy the albums that i missed out on like lick it up and animalize (i now adore heavens on fire)! Have'nt really got a fave dvd but when i saw unplugged i nearly cried like a girl when ace and pete came out! Fave member is THE spaceace, always has been, always will be. Went to see him in sheffield last year and had a special airbrushed 'creatures' shirt made by nick smith to commemorate. I was absolutely awestruck to see him 5 feet away from where i was standing and when he pointed at my shirt i nearly fainted!
Shock me, make me feel better!

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

spaceace77
KISS (1974)

Postby spaceace77 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Continued,
How many times have I seen the band?
Not enough!
Stafford Bingley Hall '83', Donington '96' (another time i nearly cried like a girl)! N.E.C '96', Finsbury Park '97', Wembley Arena '99' Donington '08' Just got my tickets for M.E.N. next year but hopefully going to fulfill a lifetime ambition and drive one of the trucks on the tour with Trans-Am trucking. If that comes off i can die a happy man!

What does KISS mean to me?
EVERYTHING!

Have i ever met a current member/ ex member?
No. I used to drive for the rock and pop bands from 99 to 2005 and hoped they would be playin a festival in europe around that time but no such luck. I've worked on slipknot tours and they said they were really cool when they've met them, and the lead guitarist from travis (don't laugh) is an uber fan! Hopefully if everything comes off with me driving a truck on the upcoming tour all that will change!
Shock me, make me feel better!

Laupeneg
KISS (1974)

Postby Laupeneg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi,
great site. Hope to be perusing it on a regular basis.
I've been into Kiss since 1978. I found Gene's solo album ensconsed in a collection of disco L.P.'s in
a local newsagents. Ironically, Diana Ross was lying in front of it, not literally I hasten to add. I took the album
home and the opening raptures of Radioactive automatically appealed to the horror enthusiast in me. I think I still have the scars of the goosepimples
down the bony ridges of my spine.
Anyhow, to cut a long and possibly very boring story short, I began my new calling: worshipping the new religion that was Kiss.
I've seen them quite a small number of times, the first in Leeds in 1983. A band called Helix was one of the
support acts. It was dark, it was misty (dry ice) and the sound was deafening. I had to lip read for about a month afterwards.
Then twice in '84 and a couple of other occasions on their irritatingly rare UK forays.
The last time I saw them was in '96 at the Manchester NYNEX supported by a Simmons' scouted band, Vervepipe.
I spent the duration of their set in the bar surrounded by the painted faces of, what seemed like hundreds, of rabid Kiss enthusiasts.
Anyhow, I'm waffling on...
I fell out of love for quite a while, standards seemed to have slipped and I really felt the impetus had disappeared for good. No new recordings did anything
to convince me otherwise...then along came Sonic Boom in all its bombastic glory and now, as certain band members are heading for their septuagenarian years, I
feel I've been awoken from a long sleep. The buzz is back and I'm lamenting over the time I feel I've lost in the redundant years.
But, eh, that's the past and now I'm looking forward to the Manchester gig... and it feels like I've never been away.
Thanks for keeping the torch burning. Cliched but true.

Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Postby Downy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:48 am

crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Postby crad » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:57 am

Welcome to the best forum for anything kiss :D
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD

MikeyFazz
KISS (1974)

Postby MikeyFazz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi guys!
I'm new here on this forum and it's great that I can talk to other people who like Kiss as much as I do! None of my friends like them really.

How did you get into the band?
I got into the band through wrestling actually, when the KISS Demon was wrestling for WCW and he had God of Thunder as his entrance music. After a bit of research of who the band were, I got my 1st album, which was Double Platinum and i've been hooked ever since.

What's your fave record/member/DVD etc?
I have too many favourite records, I couldnt put a finger on which one I listen to the most. I like albums from different eras, Love Gun. RARO, Unmasked, Dynasty, Hot in the Shade, Revenge and Sonic Boom. My fave member is $-) he is just soo cool! Fave DVD- Rock the Nation live!

How many times have you seen the band? Have you seen them abroad?
I've never seen the band in concert, however this will change next year as I am going the Manchester show next May!!

What does Kiss mean to you?
Kiss means a lot to me, i've heard Kiss fans say "Once a fan, always a fan" and it's very true. Kiss to me are more than just a band, it's a lot more. I've talked to many strangers about the band in bars etc just because we had Kiss shirts on. it's something special to be a fan. They helped me through dark times, I know this sounds cliched, listening to them through my parents divorce helped me a lot. And you've always gotta put them on very loud when you're getting ready to go on a night out! :lol:

Have you ever met a current or ex member of Kiss?
I've never had the pleasure of meeting any members of Kiss. I dont have £905 either to go and meet them! :(

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 am

Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Danny Parker
KISS (1974)

Postby Danny Parker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am

Hello everyone - another newbie here.

My Dad bought me the Exposed video for Christmas in 1986.

For years my favourite member was paul, but nowadays it's Gene. Favourite record is Alive and DVD is Kissology II.

I've seen Kiss 4 times. Donington 1988, Sheffield 1992, Manchester 1997 (or was it 96?) and Wembley 1999. Never seen them abroad.

Music is pretty much my life and Kiss are a huge part of that.

Bruce Kulick at the UK Kiss convention in 2004.

That's it.

theantigaz
KISS (1974)

Postby theantigaz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Listening to Crazy Crazy Nights when I was a kid then just working my way through their earlier, contemporary, later stuff etc. as a natural progression as I grew into rock music as a teenager then adult.

Favourite record is probably the self titles debut. Great catchy glam rock n roll, you can't beat it. DVd is of course, exposed.

Favourite member used to be Ace when I was a teenager as I was learning to play the guitar and I wanted to copy his moves! However as the reunion years progressed and he fell back into his 'ways' I now am more geared towards Paul as the often unsung mainstay of keepin the band going for the music and the passion of rock n roll.

Seen them just once. Finsbury park, '97. It's criminal I haven;t seen them more time really.

Kiss are my favourite band to work out to at the gym. Kiss are my favourite band to pick me up when I am down. Kiss might not be the 'best' band in the world (I said might), but they are the flagbearers of what rock n roll should always be about: the kids are right (and the kid in us), adults are wrong, party hard and have a good time all of the time!

Have you ever met a current or ex member of Kiss

No.

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:12 am

Excellent that more members join the forum.
I apologise if I miss any out - new members.

Mr-KISS-UK, DCJ, Kieran1980, SpaceAce1977, Laupeneg, MikeyFazz, Danny Parker & TheAntiGaz

Welcome to the forum ladies and gentlemen. Hope you have a great experience on the forum.

Merry Rockin' Crimbo to you too.

Karl
Gene Simmons (1978)

Postby Karl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:01 pm

I thought I had done this already

Back at primary school, one of the older kids had brought a bootleg album in, soon as I saw it I was hooked.
Shortly afterwards, Destroyer was released, and that was my addiction started.

Don't really have a favourite album, I just have a playlist of the songs I like the most.
Fave member is *-) He's the most talented member of the band, and has always been there, keeping it going whilst other members went off doing other things.

13 so far, with another 4 booked for 2010. Twice in Australia, twice in America, once in Holland and France. One of the shows the shows next year will be in Madrid. One of my ambitions is to see them on every continent they have/will play. Only Asia & South America to go now (unless they decide to do Africa) Also seen *-) live on his '06 Live to Win tour in New York, and Frehley twice in London.

More than life itself :!:

Ace, Paul, Gene, Tommy & Eric S. Gene was the nicest of them all.

Do I listen to any other bands, no, not really with the same passion, but how can anyone else compare???
Official Kiss Army member #1960

eddie_71
KISS (1974)

Postby eddie_71 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey up everyone,been a reader but not a poster for a while,so thought i'd like to get involved!!

So here goes,

How did i get into the band?
When i was about 9,my uncle gave me the Ace and Peter solo albums,loved Ace's thought Peter's was shite.His mate also gave me copy of Alive II on an old BASF tape,just hearing the intro was enough,since then been hooked.

What's my favorite record?
Alive II

How many times Have you seen the band?
Donington 88
Bradford St.George's Hall 88
Sheffield 92
Birmingham NEC 96
Finsbury park 97
Download 08
Ace Sheffield 08

What does KISS mean to me?
My equal favorite band with Queen,been in to them both for about 30years,so they're life long friends.

Have i ever met any members of the band?
Unfortunately no,maybe i'll get my chance when they come over next year.One this is for certain though,is i won't be paying £900 for a meet and greet!

Thanks for being patient!
IF IT'S TOO LOUD,YOU'RE TOO OLD!!

Poulous
KISS (1974)

Postby Poulous » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey Guys,well i'm what would be considered a 'newbie' ha ha!,i wouldn't have thought there would be a 'them and us' feeling amongst KISS fans,as we are a devout bunch,one big happy family i like to think,so i would say to anyone who thinks this may exist to,be happy and just lighten up and do your bit,ie as the guy who suggested it said,write your experiences.Like i've not saw the band since 88 tour,but sure am going this year,yep can finally say 'this year',sounds good dunnit?.Best KISS gig i've been to,well has to be Glasgow Apollo 27/10/83,this year will,after a long wait for me,be my 7th gig,this is my first to see the guys in full regalia,just a 'little' pity that Ace and Peter won't be there for me to complete the package,but the tour should be one to remember.75 bucks i've paid for my ticket,but just thankfull i'm going,still wanting to get a couple more tickets right enough,as i always went to two per tour that i went to,as in 83/84/88,so 2010 is a pretty large gap since my last foray into KISS hairy mayhem,and to be sure,the guys ain't getting any younger,so maybe one of my last chances to try and get my gig's up to double figures,yeah would love that.Well that's all i have to say for now,so i'm a lookin forward to reading more KISS stories from all you guys,just glad i found this group,you seem a well informed bunch,keep up the good work who-ever is in charge,and see you all soon.Best Wishes for 2010.Happy KISS Gig to you ALL...Paul.

Eisenpower
KISS (1974)

Postby Eisenpower » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Hello Kiss forum people.
This is my first posting as a member, having been a frequent lurker for some 18 months.

I’ve been a fan since ’75. During one lunch time, a workmate took me to his nearby home, presented me with the first Kiss album cover, and played a few tracks. I was intrigued by the make-up, and liked the music immediately.

Song is COALM/album is COTN/ *-) not surprisingly given my Username/DVD is RTN (with *-) OLK a close second).

I was in the first four rows of stalls for the Birmingham Odeon show in ’76 (Music paper tour announcement headline was, as I recall, “Three gigs by the US Destroyers”). Some lasting memories of that night are; being stunned by the sheer energy of their arrival on stage, $-) self-igniting candelabra, marvelling at *-) acrobatics in those boots, and, finally, having to jump on our local mail train, then legging it home at 4 a.m. trying not to crease my poster.
Bingley Hall in ’80, ’83 & ’84. From all the Stafford dates I was (& will always be) totally awed by the skill and power of the late great Eric Carr, RIP.
All shows @ B’ham NEC in future years, including finally, or so I thought at the time, the reunion show. My godson was 10 at the time, and he wore PS make up to the gig.
Never seen them abroad, but have always fancied a trip to MSG when the time finally comes for a real ‘Kiss goodbye’.

The greatest RnR entertainers I will ever see and music which has kept me smiling for more than 30 years (sad that it’s done little for my hairline, however. :lol: )

No, but no prizes for guessing which one I would prefer, given the chance.

And finally...
If I’m honest, I really didn’t expect to get a chance to enjoy Kiss again on these fair shores. I don’t do outdoor shows (not since a ‘plastic bottle experience’ at Donnington in ’84, actually) so Kiss @ Download was a no-go. In the last couple of years I have ‘fed my Kiss appetite’ by attending many DTK gigs at my local venues, with my now equally Kiss-addicted godson – and I’ve enjoyed every minute, gentlemen (especially Music Live last November). Roll on your 20th Anniversary dates.

And now there’s SB in May! I am counting the days, and trying (rather unsuccessfully) to contain my excitement at seeing my ultimate rock heroes again.

A Happy New Year to all. RnRAN,PED.
"This is the album that you put on, when you wanna turn your mind to jelly..." - PS, talking about COTN.

Return to “General KISS Chat”