The all encompassing Islington thread.

Talk about anything KISS related here.
jaymze
Destroyer (1976)

O2 Academy, Islington, 02.03.10 - who, where, how, why, when

Postby jaymze » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 pm

I thought I would start a tread to discuss the details of how peoples are getting to the gig, from where, with who, when are they getting there......etc.

Who
Well I'm traveling alone to the gig. I had considered trying to get more than one ticket and giving it to friends / family etc but then thought that ordering 2 tickets might mean less chance of availability at 12 today so ended up getting one ticket.
I hope to meet a load of the kissinuk folk at the gig or in the pub before it!
I posted a message on facebook today looking for ideas on how to get to London *economically* at this late stage. A mate from Glasgow advised he has a spare bed for the night (not knowing that the gig is in Islington), turns out he lives about 12 minutes on foot from the actual venue so that's me sorted!
So I hope to be around the venue or near by pub from after 4.00 - 4.30.

Where
I'm getting a train from Glasgow Central station at 6.50am on Tuesday morning. That'll mean getting up at about 5am to be in for plenty of time and allow for any transport issues etc but it'll be worth it.

When
Getting into Kings Cross before 1pm on Tuesday. Was looking at all the different ways to get there, overnight megabus, overnight sleeper train, flying down....ended up with the train as its comfortable and hassle free. At £102 return it better be! But the free accommodation is easing the pain a bit.

Why
Stupid question! Its KISS live!!!! I've been a fan since 1989 and have only seen them once in 1999 (lived in the west of Ireland until 2005), so the chance of such a special gig couldn't be ignored.

How
With a lot of effort to get all this sorted! I am seeing the band twice in May in Ireland and Scotland so my boss at work had advised a few months ago that she wouldn't give me any more annual leave to see KISS this year -she thinks that twice is enough and I don't earn enough to follow them around the UK (she's right with the last point!). Thus I had to order the tickets and then have a meeting with her this afternoon. It was funny as I had to do some major buttering her up before telling her, had to advise her not to say a word until I had said my piece, she advised that a little more grovelling was needed (and was done by me!), and she was happy to give me the time at short notice (we work in the HR team of a very busy company, its hard to get time off a week in advance!). Then I spent the evening telling my family about it. They are all mega excited for me!

So that's how its working out for me. For such a short timeframe to get everything organized and from such a long way away I'm happy that everything is coming together.

How about other folks?
KISS Wembley Arena 1999
KISS Islington Academy 2010
KISS Dublin O2 Arena 2010
KISS Glasgow SECC 2010

kiss-76
The Originals (1976)

Re: O2 Academy, Islington, 02.03.10 - who, where, how, why, when

Postby kiss-76 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Who: I will be going to the gig with my little brother (14) who has always heard about the legend of KISS and never had the chance to experience it! He was excited to wait for May to come but little did we know we would end up with this gig so soon! I am really happy to be taking him so he can see what it's all about. You just can't explain it fully through a dvd or a live cd it needs to be seen to know what all the fuss is about.

Where/How: We will be getting a lift with our lovely mother (who also managed to get the tickets despite me trying on too faster more modern laptops) from Evesham in the West Midlands so it should take us around two hours to arrive. Plenty of time to listen to some KISS to get in the mood :D

Why: Because I'd be kicking myself if I missed it. KISS means a lot to me and this is an experience that I wasn't prepared to miss out on no matter what. I wasn't around in 88' so I missed out the Marquee show. I was very lucky to get tickets and I hope that anybody else desperate for them and not so lucky finds a reasonable way round sorting a ticket!!!

When:We will be leaving at around 10 o'clock and as my brother can't drink we will probably get in line as pretty much as soon as we arrive to try and get near the front.
Let’s come to London, strip it down, turn it up and blow the roof off The O2 Academy.

Goat666
Destroyer (1976)

Postby Goat666 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Flight from Belfast to Luton 8.40am tuesday - still to figure out where to stay - any advice on hotels and cheapest option for transport from Luton to London. Get to london - record shops hit and have a bit of hoke round camden then meet up with anyone interested 4ish!

skinnymartin

Postby skinnymartin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 pm

Not got tickets. But as I'm in London anyway, I might pop over to Islington and say Hi so you can all gloat at me.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)

Postby kingjames1970 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 am

kingjames1970
The Originals II (1978)

Postby kingjames1970 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 am

skinnymartin

Postby skinnymartin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 am

Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes

The Hendon Kiss Army
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby The Hendon Kiss Army » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:27 am

Quick answer as I'm at work.

Going with Mad Mark who some of you know, and he was born in Islington!

As he stilllives in Hendon and I am not far away in Ruislip we are so lucky its almost on our door steps compared with others.

Look forward to meeting up late afternoon....

PhoeniX PhiL
The Originals (1976)

Tout Advice for Islington

Postby PhoeniX PhiL » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am

OK... i tried to sleep on it... and get over not getting a ticket but i cant... i'm really tempted to go down the tout route on ebay.

I have a few questions though....

1) Has anyone ever done the whole "printout / cancelled credit card" method before? It sounds a bit ropey to me... i mean how can i know that the print out is genuine... and will the venue have a list of cancelled credit cards.

2) Is the "printout / cancelled credit card" method legal? I wouldnt have my ticket whipped away if the seller was reported would I?

3) If it is a con, would i be able to get my money back... I mean 250 quid is a huge gamble.

wrecsamfan
Alive! (1975)

Postby wrecsamfan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 am

I am getting into Marylebone at 3.15. Will be on my own so can someone post a decent pub near the venue to meet in (pref one that serves food).Not that I would know a single one of you,so please don't be offended if I start a conversation with you !!

andykiss4ever
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Postby andykiss4ever » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 am

I didn't get a ticket but even so reading these posts I'm STILL getting excited! Its so cool that KISS are taking the UK seriously again. This gig will be classic. Please try to get as many vids/photos as possible and let us share some of the excitement with you (and thanks again to Jaymze who already agreed to try).

Pete

Re: Tout Advice for Islington

Postby Pete » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:03 am

Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

andykiss4ever

Postby andykiss4ever » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 am

Rules & Regulations:

No tickets will be sent out in advance, you have to pick them up from the box office on the night, on entering the venue. You won't be allowed to pick them up and return later.

There is a strict ticket limit of 2 (two) tickets per person for this event. Any multiple bookings will be cancelled without notice.
These tickets cannot be resold or transferred. Any booking that has been resold will be cancelled. Please do not buy these tickets if you are not planning to attend the event
The tickets will be available for collection as you enter the venue after doors open. The Original credit/debit card must be presented at box office and no readmission will be allowed. Letters of authorisation will not be accepted at this event. Please arrive early and account for a waiting time collecting your tickets

Its a gamble but they'll probably only want to see the card to compare with the original transaction. I doubt they'll have time to check the actual validity of everyone's card. There won't be time and as the card has been charged they already have the money so it shouldn't matter that its cancelled, unless its registered as a stolen card.

You won't get your money back off the tout, they just want your cash. Remember, by selling you the ticket they have broken the terms of the original sale contract with the primary seller (see Rules and Regulations above).

BUT if I had a spare £200.00 I could afford to lose (as its such a special event) I'd probably take the chance and gamble.

Hutchie
Alive! (1975)

Postby Hutchie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 am

To be honest, I doubt you would have any problems if you took the printout and cancelled card route. The only thing I think would be a problem is meeting to collect tickets especially if theyve sold both as you have to collect as you enter, not just collect from the box office.

andykiss4ever

Postby andykiss4ever » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Also...
Technically speaking, using someone else's credit card as proof of identity (which is what its being used for here to finalize the ticketing contract) is fraud and you could be prosecuted by the credit card company (or even the vendor), though I think its more likely, if discovered the vendor would just cancel the ticket.

Like I said its a gamble (and a legal grey area).

Return to “General KISS Chat”