crowds

Talk about anything KISS related here.
lrostoke
KISS (1974)

crowds

Postby lrostoke » Fri May 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Don't get me wrong on this I know some of you guys live breath and shit kiss, but I notice on some of the gig reviews people complaining about other fans acting like knobs ?? there was plenty of noise and singing but not much movement.

I went Manchester and yes loved it, didn't actually realise at the time it was my 5th time seeing them, 3 without makeup 2 with.
But when I compare this crowd which I also was in (left of stage at front) same at KISS actually in front of Gene. I just think there wasn't as much movement, you watch the vid when a crowd goes like that it is totally amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHI-F4x-ghs

Bobby
KISS (1974)

Re: crowds

Postby Bobby » Fri May 14, 2010 9:55 pm

To be fair, from the video's I've watched KISS never seem to be the bouncy, movey type of people you expect of them.. For me, i actually prefer this, as a regular Gig attendee, it's a pleasant surprise to be able to stand and really observe it,rather than get distracted, but hey thats me :)

lrostoke
KISS (1974)

Postby lrostoke » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm

ha ha I know we are all different I love just being in the thick of it, getting carried along with the crowd. I'm not talking mosh pits just that going with the bounce.
Funny thing is I only compared the two gigs cause I was looking at the KISS wembley photos and thinking that looks small, then realised its the arena not stadium ha ha :)

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Fri May 14, 2010 10:50 pm

The thing is - a lot of us remember the tragic events of Donington 1988 .....

I love a really good MOSH (that is the behaviour - you refer to? ) as the next guy. But I would think that the majority of the crowd want to see the show and "not be the show". Also this year - the amount of children under 13's in the standing area - a full blown MOSH akin to PanterA or SepulturA or Deicide - would have had some major consequences.

Tongue in cheek here - think about this, if the crowd was fluid in motion - think about all the crap pictures we as fans would get .... :roll: :wink:

lrostoke
KISS (1974)

Postby lrostoke » Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Being nearly 45 I also remember 1988, shit happens. Like I said in my 2nd reply I'm not talking MOSH pits, moshing is slamming into each other pushing around, I'm talking a bit of jumping and going with it. It did happen at Manchester but only briefly :)
Guess its just how the gigs I've been always used to seem :) Donnington used to always be the dogs danglies down at the front, come out of there having lost a few stone :)

Bay
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Postby Bay » Fri May 14, 2010 11:45 pm

ImageImageImage

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Sat May 15, 2010 12:40 am

I actually agree with you here. On the whole the crowds were flat...noisy, but flat. Walked down the front with ease at the shows and still had space around me even being just behind the barrier. The only gig which was a bit like the old days was the last night at Wembley and even then only in the first 5-6 rows...any further back and you had space galore. Didn't really make for a good, sweaty RnR gig...

BUT! Having said that at 45 I'm not sure I can be fussed with scrapping to get to the front and I'm just too old to be jumpin around throughout a gig but it had to be done for SAY YEAH, Deuce and a couple of others! Even if it did seem like it was only me & my mates! And as Dan said, it does make takin photos easier!!!... :lol:
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

Glammy Dave
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby Glammy Dave » Sat May 15, 2010 6:51 am

"Glams Not Dead,I`m Still Alive"

Hutchie
Alive! (1975)

Postby Hutchie » Sat May 15, 2010 7:49 am

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with quite a lot of the crowds, both standing and seated. With the exception of Glasgow which had a great atmosphere throughtout, most of the people at the other shows looked at you in disgust if you jumped up and down at a song or two. A girl at Wembley 2nd night even pyshically attacked a mate of mine because he had the audacity to brush her arm!! I like a happy medium and yes I got some great pics which I may not have got with a fully bouncing crowd, but I still felt a lot of the shows lacked atmosphere. But what the hell, I had a ball and all those that I went with, so Im Happy!!

Roll on next time (heres hoping).

The Hendon Kiss Army
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby The Hendon Kiss Army » Sat May 15, 2010 8:14 am

I know I do like a bounce but try to be concious of the fans around me and try and find enough space just behind the first 7 rows to go nutz with me guitar and mates. Wembley 2nd night was the most fun I've had at a gig for ages. I used to love the old style mosh pit type gigs at The Marquee and have to say twisted Sister atThe Astoria was very "bouncy" and absolutely brilliant. Certainly thought 1st night at Wembley was fairly quite

tallfruit
Alive II (1977)

Postby tallfruit » Sat May 15, 2010 8:54 am

the thing is a lot of the crowd where 30+ and a lot had their kids with them so its a diff type of crowd to what a band like slipknot would get where the avaerage age is more like 18.

nice to know there where others here that where in donnington in 88 , dont know about you guys but i didnt even know there was a problem until the next day

The Hendon Kiss Army
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby The Hendon Kiss Army » Sat May 15, 2010 9:03 am

nice to know there where others here that where in donnington in 88 , dont know about you guys but i didnt even know there was a problem until the next day[/quote]
I didn't either. I think that was the worst Kiss experience though, just didn't enjoy it all.

Acebwfc66
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Postby Acebwfc66 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:10 am

I agree, the last KISS related 'bouncy-mad' crowd reaction I saw was at Islington, then Ace at the academy and before then the Astoria. Small congregations of the kissarmy, plus a few hangerson hahaha

I have said before, but to get KISS to come over to these shores we the 'KISSARMY' have to accept that Civvies join the ranks and the atmosphere will suffer for it, but some with join our ranks. I have taken my kids when they were younger and this past we week me and 'mr stokie' took our neices.....but we didnt take em to the front rows like some did. No....the front standing should be for those who want to get the 'party started'....Just like I witnessed in Glasgow. I agree not as bad as the tragic donny during gnr but people can be carefull and lose themselves...do it at the front.

It is fantastic to see kiddies at the show, you know in the 70's I was a kiddie too and loved the band, isnt it great that our kiddies like the same thing!! As Ste has said before on here Doc Mcgee came out of the meet and greets with a spare signed program and some picks and gave them to her......he made a 13 year olds night. Fantastic.

I have seen KISS 6 times this year and now I am deflated concerned that I might not see em again.....but I thought that after the circus tour and then after download/paris.

Civvies cant believe me when I say im seeing the same band over and over again.

Islington - Awsome and saw Paul in the Hilton.......avoided him.....never meet your heroes.
Sheffield - 1st night. Went on Pauls barrier, good atmsophere great view of the flyover
Liverpool - great day out, less atmosphere but on front row Genes side
Birmingham - More family went with us so better atmosphere for us, I drank :) genes side 3 people back.....suffered a few misery guts who dont like people standing and moving, jumping.
Glasgow - smaller venue...more atmosphere, more noise, great show.....back on Pauls barrier watching the Glasgow crowd go nuts
Manchester - more family, Hard rock cafe (KISSSTYLE), font Genes side........had everything. Awsome and the end of a fantastic few weeks.

Its 'never enough' and I want more.....and I want it soon.

BDJ87
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby BDJ87 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:43 am

Birmingham left a sour taste in my mouth, as I'm sure a couple of people were fighting :shock: during the show, I got pushed, turned around some guy was looking pissed off at one guy, and that one guy was crying :lol: fanny :lol: So I lost my spot cos of those trouble makers :mad:

Manchester crowd was alot more buzzing, way better atmosphere IMO, didn't see any troublemakers, although did hear one guy giving someone an earful for something "F off you prick" something along those lines!

I had no bones with the crowd being 'flat', I suppose with a show like KISS you gotta watch it, seeing as so much time, effort and money has gone into the production, I wouldnt wanna miss a thing!

You get good and bad everywhere, still the minority didnt stop me and thousands of other people having a great time :D

minikiss
KISS (1974)

Postby minikiss » Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 am

im sorry just my opinion but if you stand at the front of the stage with all the "animals" as paul calls them.Dont start moaning if people around you want to jump up and down.I cant just stand still watching when Deuce comes on its impossible.And im not talking about mosh pits they are just daft.I was donington 88 and nobody wants that again.But a bit of mad jumping around never hurt anyone.They spoilt football by making everyone sit down.God help us if rock music is going the same way!!

Return to “General KISS Chat”