Leaving DTK - sad but true :o(

Talk about anything KISS related here.
The Dant
Love Gun (1977)

Leaving DTK - sad but true :o(

Postby The Dant » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 am

And so it goes. Come the 4th December, I will extrapolate myself from my Peter Criss wig one last time, scrape the white, black, green, silver & red from my fizzog and prepare to hand over the DRESSED TO KILL drumstool to another poor undeserving sap.

Do I want to leave DTK? No, absolutely NOT - it's devastating to have to leave such a great band! Since I joined in 2005, I have played my favourite songs from my favourite band to some of my favourite people – the UK KISS Army…and beyond! However, sometimes in life you have to stop doing things you love no matter how much you want to continue.

To be fair, I’ve done rather well to have lasted half a decade delicately balancing both a career and a band that demand your presence on a Saturday. If the band just played Fridays, then I’d still be clinging onto that drum stool for dear life, but the Fri/Sat gig routine is what the band needs to do in order to keep costs from getting way out of hand, and my work needs me more and more on Saturdays, so the decision has been made for me in effect.

The last 5 years have given me the best times I have ever spent in any band, whether it’s a covers/tribute act or originals. I’ve played as far afield as Spain, Norway & the Orkneys, and drummed my way through countless KISS Klassics – the band is THAT talented that adding obscurities to the set list has never ever been a problem…like adding ‘I’ve Had Enough’ to the set at the Diamond recently after one stellar run through at sound-check.

And that’s just some of the good stuff. The people I’ve met through being in DTK have been some of the friendliest and loyal folk I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing – not just the band members, of course, but also the crew members we have along for the ride, and the audiences that always always come to see us and have such a great time.

To list all the people who’ve made this band such a pleasure to be in would take me hours and hours – I could list drummer after drummer who’s helped out or just been a brilliant bloke to get on with at gigs; I could name countless guys & gals who travel ages to see us and keep on doing it; and I could tell you loads about promoters, venue bosses and kebab shop owners who deserve oodles of credit for what they do for DTK. You know who you are in that list.

But mainly, it’s been Ash, Gary and Danny (& Trevor who was ‘Ace’ before Danny ) who’ve been amazing to be around. Of course, the lads will claim I’ve jumped before I was pushed…or at least Danny will LOL!! But in all seriousness, I will be as jealous as hell when DTK go out on the road in 2011 and know that I can’t be part of it. To say I’m leaving on great terms with the boys would be something of an understatement – I never thought I’d get the chance to be in such a great, great band AND get to play KISS songs too, but that is exactly how it’s been for me –as well as to be in the company of 3 truly great friends in Ash, Gary & Danny. I salute you gents – it’s been emotional.

So I have just 4 opportunities left to suit up and rock out before I leave – Witney, Swindon, Cardiff & Norwich are the venues concerned. In fact there’s a bit of irony in the whole Norwich thing. Back in early 2000, my work schedule meant I had to leave New Jersey, the Bon Jovi tribute I’d been with for a few years, and my last show with them was in Norwich at the Oval on Dereham Road (don’t look for it, it’s not there anymore), so it’s back to Norfolk to sign off from another band on Saturday 4th December at the Brickmakers. It'd be nice to see folks from the forums at these gigs and say thanks and ta-ra personally

Of course, you should never say ‘never’ about a DTK comeback, as I rejoined New Jersey 2 years later when circumstances changed at work! So…this might be more ‘au revoir’ than goodbye – I’ll wash the costume & the wig just in case :D

Peace & Love

Ian
3-)
(Pete in DTK...until Dec 4th anyway)
http://www.iandanter.co.uk

We are now the knights who say...ekky ekky ekky f'tang woop longerlmmmmmmmn...........ni

Pete

Re: Leaving DTK - sad but true :o(

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 am

Sorry to hear this Ian. You've always been very friendly and personable (unlike the member you portray) and you'll be missed by many (and obviously by Danny, Ash & Gary). Good luck in future ventures... :D 3-)

So does this mean Rich is taking the drum stool again or are the guys recruiting a new drummer 'willing to do anything to make it'... :?
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

almack
Double Platinum (1978)

Postby almack » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 am

A sad day for all of us DTK Fans!!

As I said on facebook, this will spark long discussions on 'which was the best DTK line up/era... etc, etc!!' Lol!

Ian, I have enjoyed the times I have watched you as Mr Criss in DTK, you truly are a fantastic drummer and will be sadly missed... a little magic will be lost once you leave the DTK family!

Maybe we should got a KISSinUK sendoff arranged for your last gig... when and where?

All the best,

Alex
They try to tell us we don't belong, but that's alright, were millions strong......

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 am

feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

dtkdemongene
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Postby dtkdemongene » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 am

Live the KISS experience with the World's longest running/Europe's #1 KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill'.
http://www.dressedtokill.org.uk
http://www.myspace.com/kisstributeuk
The PERSONAL choice of Gene Simmons - "Accept NO substitutes!"

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:51 am

Have a sit down Gary, the thought of opening yer wallet has made you light-headed :lol: :lol: :lol:
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

Roger H
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Postby Roger H » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:37 pm

:cry: What a shame !! Sorry to hear that you're off but I wish you all the best for the future. This makes it even more important that I make it up to Swindon. :D
WALLY !!! I need a lift !!! Come and get me mate !!! PRETTY PLEASE !!! :D

Spooky_Von_Glitter
Dynasty (1979)

Postby Spooky_Von_Glitter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Aw sorry to hear this, but... you have been grrrreat!
Will you be playing the 4th dec gig? It'll be good to see ya play for the last time :)

grunge
Peter Criss (1978)
Location: Walsall, West Of The Midlands! Official KISS ARMY Member #1010 XBox Live: Oh4Q

Postby grunge » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:49 pm

As I said on Facebook - sad news indeed.
The next DTK drummer has a hard act to follow.

I think DTK should get an Eric Carr next!! :wink:
Danger You, Danger Me, Danger Mouse!
Shock Me - Put on your black SWEATER!

ImageImageImage ImageImage

dtkdemongene
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Postby dtkdemongene » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Live the KISS experience with the World's longest running/Europe's #1 KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill'.
http://www.dressedtokill.org.uk
http://www.myspace.com/kisstributeuk
The PERSONAL choice of Gene Simmons - "Accept NO substitutes!"

fried alive
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby fried alive » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:42 pm

gonna miss ya dants send my best to alvin :D

Gojira1975
Gene Simmons (1978)

Postby Gojira1975 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 pm

I would love a crack at replacing him. Sadly, logistically i think it is out of the question.
DEATH TO FALSE METAL

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)

Postby nicksmithworld » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:40 am

Y'know I can't help thinking that in 5 years you never once performed Beth as a piece of 'Ginsberg beat poetry' as interpreted By Trevor Brooking *sigh* looks wistfully into middle distance, lost opportunities.. :neutral:

Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Postby Sour Mash » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 am

IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..

frontier(s)
Alive II (1977)

Postby frontier(s) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 am

Just wanted to say, what a great original post.

Looking forward to seeing DTK at The Furnace next week.

Return to “General KISS Chat”