World Cup 2010 Thread

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
tallfruit
Alive II (1977)

Re: World Cup 2010 Thread

Post by tallfruit »

could have been worse, have to feel sorry for rob green , all in all a decent performance and the next 2 games should be easy anyway :roll:
kissinuk
Administrator

Post by kissinuk »

Agreed, bad mistake but, touch wood, that was our hardest group match.
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

Well if that's his only mistake this world cup Im glad its out of the way. England looked far sharper than they have for a long while and the USA are no pushovers. I can't believe Im going to write this but I thought Heskey played the best game he's ever played for his country last night, I thought he was fantastic up front.
AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Post by AxeBass »

Father Jack wrote:I can't believe Im going to write this but I thought Heskey played the best game he's ever played for his country last night, I thought he was fantastic up front.
I can't believe you wrote that either! :lol: :? Whilst Heskey held the ball up well, to win the world cup or even get to the latter stages we have to have someone who can offer more than that. Putting the ball straight at the keeper when clean through showed he hasnt got the class to merit an international place. If Drogba or Rooney had done that it would have sparked comments about how unlike them it is - however it was exactly like Heskey, no surprise that he didn't score and the only shocking thing was that he hit it clean and didnt scuff it. Any of our defence would have tested the keeper more than that. He isnt good enough and nor is Lennon, SWP, Carragher, Milner (what a shocker!) or the hapless Green. Joe Cole can't do it for us either.

Barry back in the middle and Gerrard out wide is, unfortunately, our only option in midfield because SG,FL and GB are the only ones with international class and we must fit them all in if possible.

Overall, very poor imho against a bunch of well organised journeymen. Simply not good enough. :mad:
acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

I think we saw that this England team just arent good enough to win the World Cup...
I still cant believe that we havent solved the problem on the left hand side of midfield,continually playing right footed players in that position,sorry but im old school,put someone who can cross with their left there!!I know people will laugh but try Stephen Warnock in that position,100 per cent commited and loves to get forward,he may not be considered good enough but lets face it half the squad arent either.
Have to agree with AB Heskey just isnt up to the task,this is the World Cup if you get put clean through then you have to hit the back of the net.The back four are short of pace in the centre and when we play the top teams we will be punished.Sorry but its going to be 44 years of hurt,cant wait to see Spain play they play the beautiful game in the right way.
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

Yes, and how rubbish were Italy & France during the last world cup ???
Up to now no one has impressed me. The Argies should have been mauled by Nigeria, the frogs were piss poor against Urgay.
Its true what you both say about Heskey, he simply isn't good enough as an international. Ive been saying this since his first game for England, but apart from his shocking miss I thought he offered far more than he has since he partnered Owen up front. He had a far better game than SWP who was completely clueless out on the left. We as a team missed a lot of chances that should have been put away. It will come together as the tournament progresses and some poor bugger will get a walloping. The main thing is the hardest group game is out of the way and we can concentrate on making a mess out of Algeria & Slovenia.
You don't have to play football like Brazil in a top skills tournament every game to win major competitions. Its only a draw in the opening game, Don't write England off yet.
acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Father Jack wrote:Yes, and how rubbish were Italy & France during the last world cup ???
Up to now no one has impressed me. The Argies should have been mauled by Nigeria, the frogs were piss poor against Urgay.
Its true what you both say about Heskey, he simply isn't good enough as an international. Ive been saying this since his first game for England, but apart from his shocking miss I thought he offered far more than he has since he partnered Owen up front. He had a far better game than SWP who was completely clueless out on the left. We as a team missed a lot of chances that should have been put away. It will come together as the tournament progresses and some poor bugger will get a walloping. The main thing is the hardest group game is out of the way and we can concentrate on making a mess out of Algeria & Slovenia.
You don't have to play football like Brazil in a top skills tournament every game to win major competitions. Its only a draw in the opening game, Don't write England off yet.
Truth be told i wrote us off before it started,my heart always says England but my head tells me otherwise.People rave about Capello being a brilliant manager,but alas i just dont see it!Im old enough to know that football is a funny old game,on the day eleven v eleven anything can happen,in the past teams have made it to the final on the form of one player,lets hope Rooney can lead us to glory!!
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'
tallfruit
Alive II (1977)

Post by tallfruit »

biggest prom at the moment is the lack of pace in the middle of defence , if terry and carrager are going to be the starters then they are in trouble, did you see how slow carrager was when that yank went passed him like he was'nt there
Frehley75

Post by Frehley75 »

Pretty much as expected, performance wise. Howler by Green but it shouldn't have mattered as we should have been able to bury them at the other end.
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

tallfruit wrote:biggest prom at the moment is the lack of pace in the middle of defence , if terry and carrager are going to be the starters then they are in trouble, did you see how slow carrager was when that yank went passed him like he was'nt there
If that's the case then you'd think we'd be in trouble now that King has a slight hamstring problem and may miss the Algeria game. Having said that on viewing them and their spectacular goalkeeper this lunchtime I don't honestly believe Jamie Carragher has anything to worry about. We should be encamped in their penalty area for 90 minutes on Friday. Even Heskey might score.... :shock:
tallfruit
Alive II (1977)

Post by tallfruit »

heskey scoring now that is expecting too much lol, but agree after watching the other game today they should walk past both of them :D
danisgod
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Post by danisgod »

Ive just noticed my computer has a Rob Green Virus....I cant save anything :wink:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Germany looked impressive...
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Kev

Post by Kev »

Donate £2 to an African and he buys a ferkin trumpet :D
ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)
Frehley75

Post by Frehley75 »

Kev wrote:Donate £2 to an African and he buys a ferkin trumpet :D
Beat me to it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"