Status Quo

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
Pete

Status Quo

Post by Pete »

Having just seen another great gig by Status Quo last Friday (never actually seen a bad one to tell the truth) I was wondering what everyone else on here thinks of the Quo.

For me they are up there with Kiss in importance in my life (was gutted when Parfitt was diagnosed with what was thought to be throat cancer) and thinking about it there are many similarities between Status Quo & Kiss...

Only two original members left in the band.
Die hard nutters for fans. :D
Never get the recognition they deserve...yet still going strong (Quo 40 years, Kiss 30 years)
And many more....

I dunno. Maybe I'm just an old git but the new bands just don't cut it like the old ones do as the Quo say I like that old time Rock n Roll...what do you all think... :?:
Last edited by Pete on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
dtkdemongene
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Re: Status Quo

Post by dtkdemongene »

Pete wrote:Having just seen another great gig by Status Quo last Friday (never actually seen a bad one to tell the truth) I was wondering what everyone else on here thinks of the Quo.

For me they are up there with Kiss in importance in my life (was gutted when Parfitt was misdiagnosed with throat cancer) and thinking about it there are many similarities between Status Quo & Kiss...

Never get the recognition they deserve...yet still going strong (Quo 40 years, Kiss 30 years)
And many more....

I dunno. Maybe I'm just an old git but the new bands just don't cut it like the old ones do as the Quo say I like that old time Rock n Roll...what do you all think... :?:
I liked their earlier stuff.... then hated their cheesy 'Marguerita Time'/'In The Army Now' stuff..... turned me off them. :x

However, saw them at Wembley Arena back in the early 90's (with Firehouse supporting - they were my reason for going).... and they rocked HARD!! :shock: :shock: 8)

A superb gig! As a result I won't hear a bad thing said about them.... well not about their live shows anyway! ;)
Live the KISS experience with the World's longest running/Europe's #1 KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill'.
http://www.dressedtokill.org.uk
http://www.myspace.com/kisstributeuk
The PERSONAL choice of Gene Simmons - "Accept NO substitutes!"
Pete

Post by Pete »

dtkdemongene wrote:
Pete wrote:Having just seen another great gig by Status Quo last Friday (never actually seen a bad one to tell the truth) I was wondering what everyone else on here thinks of the Quo.

For me they are up there with Kiss in importance in my life (was gutted when Parfitt was misdiagnosed with throat cancer) and thinking about it there are many similarities between Status Quo & Kiss...

And many more....

I liked their earlier stuff.... then hated their cheesy 'Marguerita Time'/'In The Army Now' stuff..... turned me off them. :x

However, saw them at Wembley Arena back in the early 90's (with Firehouse supporting - they were my reason for going).... and they rocked HARD!! :shock: :shock: 8)

A superb gig! As a result I won't hear a bad thing said about them.... well not about their live shows anyway! ;)
For Cheesy stuff think Asylum/Crazy Nights!

I saw them for the first time on that tour with Firehouse (who were excellent) at the GMEX. Seen them nearly every year since (except when they get sick)
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
dtkdemongene
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Post by dtkdemongene »

Pete wrote:For Cheesy stuff think Asylum/Crazy Nights!
Ooh no.... Marguerita Time etc were MUCH cheesier than that! ;)
Live the KISS experience with the World's longest running/Europe's #1 KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill'.
http://www.dressedtokill.org.uk
http://www.myspace.com/kisstributeuk
The PERSONAL choice of Gene Simmons - "Accept NO substitutes!"
Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

And many more....

Well the drummer was on one of those programs on BBC about decluttering your house.

His wife was a die hard rock chick and had so many rock chick apparell it was unbelievable and I don't think she realised that she was an old woman. It was funny because her stuff was everywhere and his was just cluttered in a small room just basically not allowed to be seen anywhere, gold albums, drum kits pictures....

I don't think she realised who payed for everything.....
Karl
Gene Simmons (1978)

Post by Karl »

dtkdemongene wrote:A superb gig! As a result I won't hear a bad thing said about them.... well not about their live shows anyway! ;)
Very much like Def Leppard.
Utter shite in the studio, but live, kick ass.

I remember the night before the Wembley gig in 96, Leps played with Terrorvision in support. Joe Elliott commented on how they sound in the studio was dictated by the record company, and the live sound was the way they wanted to play it. In short, Leppard kicked ass on album for the first three records, then came Hysteria and they sold out to the American Rock/Pop culture.
Still won't by their new albums, but will see them live if I get the chance.

Quo have been to Jersey once, and were excellent live, but the same thing as above, I just can't do the studio stuff.

I'll get me coat :?
sweetpain
Alive II (1977)

Post by sweetpain »

Great live. Saw them in 96' at Sixfields Stadium in Northampton.
Absolutely pissin' down but we didn't care boppin' up and down in a mud bath.

Fave track live Gerdundula.
Shame the studio stuff don't quite hit the mark.
MY LOVE WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE!!
Kev

Post by Kev »

Image comes to mind when you mention QUO.How any one can compare them to DEF LEPPARD is beyond me,STEVE CLARK,PHIL COLLEN,,VIVIAN CAMBELL,RICK ALLEN,RICK SAVAGE,JOE ELLIOT,are amongst the most talented people in the music industry,take a listen to miss you in a heartbeat,two steps behind,long long way to go,when love &hate collide,hysteria,bringin on the heartbreak,photograph,promises,women,rock rock (till you drop) ..and my all time fave ,love bites!!!oh and dont forget the album HYSTERIA ;) only my opinion tho sure you will agree or disagree ;) didnt 75% of the bands try the rock/pop thing in the 80s :?: :?:
fox~fan
The Originals II (1978)

Post by fox~fan »

Am a huge Leppard fan, for my sins, - saw them 9 times this year with Journey. Every show was great!! Havent loved every album they have ever brought out, again i prefer the first few, they have come through some crap and i have been a fan since i was about 6 yrs old so wont hear a bad word said!! ;)

Dont mind Quo, never seen 'em live, but dont particularly have anything negative to say about them.
Kev

Post by Kev »

i saw them on there first headline tour at vic hall in stoke,they were all in there teens and the whole place rocked,was it budgie who backed em up that night and magnum :?: saw em last in brum at the carling academy,great show and i got phils guitar pick to top it off. ;)
Pete

Post by Pete »

Quo are definitely one of those bands that are better live than in the studio (although the album Heavy Traffic is very good) as the set list will testify.

It's a bit like Kiss really as the 70's albums are the best ones and as you progress through to now the albums get weaker and weaker but each one has a decent song or two on it.

Oh and if we're comparing Quo to anyone you should play any of the 70's stuff next to any of the Bon Scott era AC/DC...(can open, worms everywhere.... ;) )
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
ric k iss
The Originals II (1978)

Post by ric k iss »

ahhhhh the quo! you gotta love a bit of the quo aint ya? cant disagree with anyone quo are harmless rock n roll always give a good show and fantastic live,a few boring songs a few good ones,better in the early years cheesy in the 80's,still going strong with 2 original members,play the u.k regularly,in fact is quo kiss???? oh no they play the u.k!!!!
Pete

Post by Pete »

ric k iss wrote:ahhhhh the quo! you gotta love a bit of the quo aint ya? cant disagree with anyone quo are harmless rock n roll always give a good show and fantastic live,a few boring songs a few good ones,better in the early years cheesy in the 80's,still going strong with 2 original members,play the u.k regularly,in fact is quo kiss???? oh no they play the u.k!!!!

Can I just add to that statement...ON A REGULAR BASIS!!! (although they don't play America that much... ;) )
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

I haven't seen Quo for years, but they are a class act. One of my fave bands to listen to when I'm out running.
w00dy

Post by w00dy »

I love the Quo,in fact,i went to see them last night in Nottingham.
What a fookin great gig.Had a few beers before and had a great time.
Not got a bad word for their show.

w00dy