Are Rush taking the piss?

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Re: Are Rush taking the piss?

Post by crad »

Bay wrote:
crad wrote:Slightly excessive for a ticket but heyy Ho mine was £72 :shock: :shock:
More fool you
Never seen them before m8 :)
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD
Bay
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Post by Bay »

crad wrote:
Bay wrote:
crad wrote:Slightly excessive for a ticket but heyy Ho mine was £72 :shock: :shock:
More fool you
I still don't agree with those prices, how the hell are kids ever going to get to see bands? The only way to put a stop to it is by not paying! Sad to see live music go in this direction. :(
ImageImageImageImage
The Dant
Love Gun (1977)

Post by The Dant »

Why are we all so surprised/outraged about this?

We are now all paying for the whole 'file sharing' era where artists now believe (sometimes wrongly to be fair) that they're not selling enough copies of an album or single because of countless thieves downloading it off torrent sites for free.

Therefore they see live performances as the only way to make money that they know can't be touched and ticket prices go up as a consequence.

I remember Whitney Houston coming over some years ago (prior to iTunes etc) and charging £45 to shout at punters for 45 whole minutes. That is not value.

I would argue that a 3 hour + set by Rush for £55 is far better value for money than that. Yes it's excessive, and KISS can happily take the moral high-ground with their sensible ticket pricing over the years (wasn't it just £6 in 1983???) but you can expect more and more of this from all artists of all genres from now on.

It is a shame, but take it up with the greedy, selfish downloaders if you have a problem with it. Why people didn't see this coming goodness only knows.

Ian
3-)
(Pete in DTK)
http://www.iandanter.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are now the knights who say...ekky ekky ekky f'tang woop longerlmmmmmmmn...........ni
Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Post by Dan bach »

Bay wrote:
crad wrote:
Bay wrote:Slightly excessive for a ticket but heyy Ho mine was £72 :shock: :shock:
More fool you
I still don't agree with those prices, how the hell are kids ever going to get to see bands? The only way to put a stop to it is by not paying! Sad to see live music go in this direction. :(
Defo seconded ..... £72.00 for one band - soz .... apart from KISS (last year's Cobo, MSG and Nassau Coliesum tickets) - i won't shell out that sort of money.

Gary DTK - great insight into Promoter's way of thinking.

I want to see Rush - it's been ages since I've seen Lee, Peart and Lifeson - Presto tour.
They might do 2 for the price of one tickets later on - if they haven't sold out already.

I'd rather spread my cash over a few gigs - than just for one or two.

I haven't bought Maiden tix yet - saw them at Sonisphere - they were superb - so I'm not that desperate to see them.
Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Post by Dan bach »

The Dant wrote:Why are we all so surprised/outraged about this?
Ian
3-)
(Pete in DTK)
Well, I'm getting hot n' bothered ... because I travel miles, n' miles, n miles ... and I like to buy merch.
So taking all this into account ....

If I attended this gig - I'm most prob looking at a round figure of £150 for one gig - this is drive up n' back in one night ie no hotel costs etc.

Rush are brilliant. But they are not worth £150 of my "hard earned cash".
My work is under pressure - public sector - my job is safe - thank f**K but a 3 year pay freeze beckons.

As I say if the gigs are not sold out - nearer gig time - will see if there are "2 for the price of 1" or some deals going on.
Bay
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Post by Bay »

Dan bach wrote:
The Dant wrote:Why are we all so surprised/outraged about this?
Ian
3-)
(Pete in DTK)
Well, I'm getting hot n' bothered ... because I travel miles, n' miles, n miles ... and I like to buy merch.
So taking all this into account ....

If I attended this gig - I'm most prob looking at a round figure of £150 for one gig - this is drive up n' back in one night ie no hotel costs etc.

Rush are brilliant. But they are not worth £150 of my "hard earned cash".
My work is under pressure - public sector - my job is safe - thank f**K but a 3 year pay freeze beckons.

As I say if the gigs are not sold out - nearer gig time - will see if there are "2 for the price of 1" or some deals going on.
Well said Dan. I'm not so much surprised or outraged as i am dismayed. There are other ways to generate income , advertising etc, without fleecing your fans who put you where you are. If tickets were a flat £50 i'd have no issue with that, but £54 for nosebleed seats is, imho, excessive and i won't be paying those prices.
I'll let you know if anything pops up on Orange Dan ;)
ImageImageImageImage