The Van Halen Thread

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
Pete

Re: The Van Halen Thread

Post by Pete »

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/07/09/van-hale ... en-letter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Van Halen Addresses The Superbowl Rumors In Open Letter

As we told ya they would, Van Halen has issued an Open Letter (another VHND.com exclusive) regarding the rampant rumors that they will play the Superbowl next year:

VAN HALEN
An Open Letter

I’m compelled to address the now-rampant rumors that Van Halen is playing the Superbowl. First of all let me say this — be still my pigskin heart. That honor has not been bestowed upon us at this time though it is one we would accept in a NY minute.

Having heard VH blaring through stadium speakers on any given Sunday – more like every given Sunday, the idea of playing there live would be like – ‘okay, now we’re in the game’.

Van Halen’s collective memories are – and with all due respect to each and every one of these memories, teeming with been-theres and done-that’s, but none include playing at the Superbowl. Playing at the Superbowl is a veritable holy grail of musical recognition, a highly prized rite of passage for (game-changing) artists. Not a spiritual rite with snake pits or Hebrew school or anything, but it’s up there.

We are not on Commissioner Goodell’s dance card at this time, but we would be most honored to dance the halftime away in New Orleans.

It’s an honor to be considered and for that we would like to thank the rumormongers all over the World Wide Web.

- D-Ro
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Downy »

DLR doesnt half ramble on doesnt he? :lol:
Still love VH but just disillusioned with them at the moment.
I feel the same about Poison too.
crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Post by crad »

Found This :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUqXfk8jG5I[/youtube]
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD
crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Post by crad »

Eddie has emergency surgery ...Hope he will be ok
http://loudwire.com/eddie-van-halen-eme ... postponed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD
Pete

Post by Pete »

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... lth-scare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Van Halen came close to death in his recent health scare, a newspaper says.

The National Enquirer reports the guitar icon nearly lost his life after suffering severe intestinal problems.

And the cause is said to have been a controversial diet which replaces food with a liquid concoction of fruit and pepper.

The report says Van Halen was “clinging to life when he was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain” recently. Wife Janie, son Wolfgang and ex-wife Valerie all “feared the worst.”

A source tells the paper: “They were sick with worry because he was in so much pain. It really was touch and go.”

The 57-year-old was apparently the victim of the Master Cleanse Diet, which involves abstaining from normal nutrition and instead drinking a mixture of water, lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. It promises rapid weight loss, but the lack of energy-giving properties combined with high volumes of spice have aroused suspicion and concern among medical experts.

Van Halen is predicted to make a full recovery, although doctors say he’s likely to be sidelined for up to six months. The official reason given for his illness was diverticulitis, caused when pockets, known as diverticula, form in the colon then become infected and inflamed.

The band were forced to cancel their November tour of Japan, but promised to reschedule in 2013.
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
frontier(s)
Alive II (1977)

Post by frontier(s) »

Wolfgang's in a Twitter 'feud' with One Direction, apparently...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... Halen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pete

Post by Pete »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mitch-ma ... ks-online/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mitch Malloy's audition...

Van Halen fans are well aware of the different eras of the band — the classic era featuring lead singer David Lee Roth, the “Van Hagar” period with Sammy Hagar, and the less successful lineup with former Extreme singer Gary Cherone. But many fans are unaware that for a brief period, it seemed likely that well-respected AOR singer Mitch Malloy would take over for Hagar as Van Halen’s lead singer. Some previously lost audio from Malloy’s audition has surfaced online, featuring him jamming with the members of Van Halen on ‘Panama.’

The informal recording took place at Van Halen’s 5150 studio in 1996, according to Melodic Rock, which leaked the tape. It’s interesting to hear Malloy — whose voice is closer to that of Sammy Hagar than David Lee Roth — performing on the track, which is a glimpse of what might have been. Had he landed the gig, he might have needed a lyric sheet; Malloy doesn’t appear to know all of the words to the iconic, “Yeah, we’re runnin’ a little bit hot tonight” voiceover. But it’s still a rockin’ version of the song, which the band members were apparently happy with; after it ends, they can be heard laughing and cutting up, with somebody saying, “That was fun!”

Melodic Rock reports that after three days of hanging out and jamming with Van Halen, Malloy was offered the job by the band, but their management instead insisted on Gary Cherone — which ushered in the relatively ill-fated ‘Van Halen III’ era.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJKeOYU6 ... r_embedded#![/youtube]
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Post by Sour Mash »

Mitch Malloy would have made a much better choice than Cherone
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..
Pete

Post by Pete »

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... r-at-last/
Van Halen are finally planning to return to the UK and Europe, says frontman David Lee Roth.

Their last visit, in 1998, included just a handful of appearances in Finland and Germany with Extreme singer Gary Cherone at the helm. They haven’t toured the UK since a set of shows with Sammy Hagar in 1995, and their last trip to Britain with Roth was the Monsters Of Rock tour of 1984.

But now the singer believes fans will finally get their chance to see them within the next nine months.

He tells the Opie & Anthony radio show: “We’re going to be playing Europe – probably 50, 60 shows starting at the end of this year.”

And he vows the decades-long wait will prove worthwhile, saying: “Van Halen is very pure and uncut music. It’s a little like getting drunk on shots of really good Kentucky bourbon. It’s lead, bass, drums and howling at the moon. You’ll have a great night… but you probably won’t want to see us again for three years. You won’t want to see that bottle.”

The band’s only US appearances this year were booked at short notice, says Roth. “I’m frankly surprised that these happened now,” he admits. “I think probably they had designs on somebody else, and somebody got sick. These are big shows, like, 50-70,000 person shows. They’re coming together fast, which says, probably, somebody else bowed out.”

The frontman recently admitted he’d love to see Michael Anthony return to complete the original lineup. Meanwhile, his replacement, Eddie Van Halen’s son Wolfgang, has said they’re at work on material for a follow-up to last year’s A Different Kind Of Truth.
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

Wow, DLR talks more shite than Gene. 50 or 60 shows my arse !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
madmark
Double Platinum (1978)

Post by madmark »

Saw them twice at the Rainbow...79 and 80 ... They were unbelievable.. If memory serves me correctly in 1979 they opened with Atomic Punk :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ziggy played guitar...or was it Ronson?
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Post by RippingFleshFromBone »

madmark wrote:Saw them twice at the Rainbow...79 and 80 ... They were unbelievable.. If memory serves me correctly in 1979 they opened with Atomic Punk :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nope!!! In '79 they ENDED with Atomic Punk!!!

Light Up the Sky
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Drum Solo
Runnin' With the Devil
Dance the Night Away
Beautiful Girls
On Fire
Bass Solo
You're No Good
(Dee Dee Warwick cover)
Jamie's Cryin'
Feel Your Love Tonight
Outta Love Again
Ice Cream Man
(John Brim cover)
Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
Guitar Solo
(Eruption and Spanish Fly)
You Really Got Me
(The Kinks cover)
Bottoms Up!
Atomic Punk

Still one of my fav shows ever...saw this one at Newcastle and they stormed the place!!! Recently found a download of the very show and it certainly brought back many a memory for me. Great to hear it again!!... :D
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

madmark
Double Platinum (1978)

Post by madmark »

Obviously my memory doesn't serve me correctly :oops: !!! Anyway it was brilliant and the opening number is a bit of a belter isn't it? :D
Thanks for correcting me and chucking the set list up so I can see it ,Ta...
Ziggy played guitar...or was it Ronson?
Pete

Post by Pete »

*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)