Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Talk about anything KISS related here.
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:54 am

acesmiddlefinger wrote:Blimey so glad we all get to have an opinion....

Im not into comparing KISS albums from now and then,just seems a tad silly to me,yesterday is yesterday end of. Gene and Paul sometimes make a rod for their own back by saying the new album is a mix of Destroyer and Revenge etc, but they did promise Monster was good and they have delivered.

Different time, different place and I do agree with you on that. But when you have GS/PS both making comparisons to past albums, it is hard to view this in any other light. And when you have a long carear it is inevitable that it is the past you have to live up to.

And while this isn't a bad album, personally, I don't think this is a great KISS album. Other than the vocals of GS/PS there isn't much else about it that sounds like KISS. A lot of the sound of the album actually feels 'dated', which is very wierd. Maybe that's just me tho and my ears!... :lol:
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

frontier(s)
Alive II (1977)

Postby frontier(s) » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am

It's getting some pretty damn good reviews:

http://guitarinternational.com/2012/10/ ... his-world/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html

'Outta This World' is still my favourite, strongest chorus by a mile.

'Right Here Right Now' should have been on the main album though, has a brilliant feel to it.

metalpunk
KISS (1974)

Postby metalpunk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 am

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:
acesmiddlefinger wrote:Blimey so glad we all get to have an opinion....

Im not into comparing KISS albums from now and then,just seems a tad silly to me,yesterday is yesterday end of. Gene and Paul sometimes make a rod for their own back by saying the new album is a mix of Destroyer and Revenge etc, but they did promise Monster was good and they have delivered.

Different time, different place and I do agree with you on that. But when you have GS/PS both making comparisons to past albums, it is hard to view this in any other light. And when you have a long carear it is inevitable that it is the past you have to live up to.

And while this isn't a bad album, personally, I don't think this is a great KISS album. Other than the vocals of GS/PS there isn't much else about it that sounds like KISS. A lot of the sound of the album actually feels 'dated', which is very wierd. Maybe that's just me tho and my ears!... :lol:

100% Adam

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

I only got it yesterday, was filmed purchasing it and spent a lot of yesterday afternoon - doing a "DRC studio album intro" get in car, drive off and listen to the album whilst driving round Aber(ystwyth).

My fave tune atm is Freak (love the lyrics and the mood of the song).

PhoeniX PhiL
The Originals (1976)

Postby PhoeniX PhiL » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:15 am

SO DAMN GOOD! ...I must admit that I was a little underwhelmed when I first heard some of the previews (shorter versions of what appeared on itunes) BUT boy oh boy the full product is so much more than they hinted at. I'm going to give a few more spins before I fully wax lyrical on it BUT after three start to finish play throughs I'm loving it. It may not be their greatest album but it's sounding like it will sit very comfortably in the top third of their catelogue. Also every member of the band sounds like their having SO MUCH FUN on it... the other studio KISS albums don't sound anywhere near as joyful.

andykiss4ever
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Postby andykiss4ever » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:31 am

Loving the great reviews the album is getting from the Rock sites and mags! To my mind this is a GREAT KISS album and although unmistakably KISS still has some surprises and fresh ideas to offer musically and lyrically. The Devil is Me for instance appears to be your typical Gene song but if you read/listen to the lyrics properly it becomes obvious its actually got an interesting message i.e. don't blame the world for the shit that happens, look at yourself first and see what you can do to improve it, at least that's my take on it. I really rate Gene's songs on this album, it seems like he put much more effort in somehow. Regarding Paul's voice I like the way he's working with it, to me it has a more bluesy rootsy quality now he's doing less of the 80's style high pitched screaming. All Paul's songs on here are good strong rockers, the style he does best in my opinion. Tommy and Eric play and sing at the top of their game, they are every bit a part of the modern KISS sound as Gene and Paul. Great album and...the future still looks bright!

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Dan bach wrote:I only got it yesterday, was filmed purchasing it

TOWIA? (The Only Way Is Aberystwyth) :shock: :lol: :lol:
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

Mr Grady
Alive! (1975)

Postby Mr Grady » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm

just got the album today, and at first listen i was disappointed.

it does strike me as either very good songs, and either average or bad ones.

H or H... good
wall.. excellent!
freak...jury is still out
BTTSA..love it!
shout mercy...oh dear
long way down...loved it from the first listen as the net freebie
EYHO...same as Freak
devil is me.....got to hear this beauty live!
outta this world....great riffs, but i thought only gene did cheesy lyrics
AFTLOR&R....when kiss do lighter catchy tunes, they do them well, and this one of them...
take me down below...sucks
last chance...pretty good.

so thats 6 thumbs up....2 undecided....1 maybe, and 2 thats on the delete list

i guess after 40 years of writing and performing songs thats not too bad...but deffo not a "destroyer" or a "revenge"

highvoltage1969
The Originals II (1978)

Postby highvoltage1969 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:31 pm

I Like it all except for the awful 'All For The Love of Rock & Roll' which sounds like a Shania Twain reject - something you should be learning to line dance too.

Paul's voice just about cuts it in the studio, Gene sounds great, prefer his tracks, Tommy's 'OTW' reminds me of Hard Times.

Better than Sonic Boom, a really strong, solid album. Not sure at this point in their career you could expect anything better.

sweetpain
Alive II (1977)

Postby sweetpain » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm lovin' it,but then i always do.

C'mon girl let your backbone slip ! Sure I've heard that somewhere before :!:

Fave at the moment is Freak.
MY LOVE WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE!!

Deuce
The Originals II (1978)

Postby Deuce » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Really lovin' it all so far, Long Way Down, HoH, and Take Me Down Below (did Steel Panther have a writing credit on this lol) stand out for me so far.

Deuce
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Steve

---------------------------------------------

Stand by my side, I'll be there for you......

Get up! and get your Grandma outta here

neilramone
Destroyer (1976)

Postby neilramone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:13 pm

2 plays in,,,,it's great I like it.Is it the Son of Revenge,or COTN? ,no but it's a cousin ,,,,
Gawd it's Heavy,,,,Revenge,,,ish but without the Vinnieisms,(sadly).
Have to admit ,I do miss a good Stanley ballad, now and then though.
Eat Your Heart,I'm getting a vibe or melody of Bang Bang You somewhere lurking in that.
Last Chance,I'M kinda hoping it's the Last Chance ,,,,we get to hear Gene's Russian Roulette in the harmonies again!! :shock:
It's KISS it's my fav band ,,,BUT,,,I don't have to like it but glad I DO!! :D

Pjcity
The Originals (1976)

Postby Pjcity » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Well when HMV deliver it I will let you all know what I think !!!!

Hopefully before Xmas !!! :shock:

metalbearuk
KISS (1974)

Postby metalbearuk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Cannot get into it at all, where are all the hooks and big choruses? I hope this isn't the last Kiss album as they would be going out with a whimper rather than a bang. Didn't I read somewhere this was going to be a cross between 'Destroyer' and 'Revenge'. There is absolutely no trace of 'Destroyer' on this album. Totally disappointed.

acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby acesmiddlefinger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 pm

metalbearuk wrote:Cannot get into it at all, where are all the hooks and big choruses? I hope this isn't the last Kiss album as they would be going out with a whimper rather than a bang. Didn't I read somewhere this was going to be a cross between 'Destroyer' and 'Revenge'. There is absolutely no trace of 'Destroyer' on this album. Totally disappointed.

I think you may be playing it upside down... :wink: :lol:

Just kiddin mate,each to their own.
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'

Return to “General KISS Chat”