Paul's Voice

Talk about anything KISS related here.
CJ
KISS (1974)

Paul's Voice

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 pm

The tour is now over and I managed to see the Birmingham and London Shows. Although this has was raised in another post, I wondered what other fans honest opinion is on Paul's voice from the UK shows they saw? I have previously mentioned that I thought that the shows as a whole are great entertainment, but I find it difficult to gloss over the quality of the main man's vocal performances. Paul has recently quoted that the band was having a great time on this tour and never sounded better. Those close to him need to be honest. I thought the vocal quality varied, from song to song, to acceptable to (dare I say it) slightly embarrassing. Backing vocals were evident in many songs where they would never have previously been provided. The quality of the backing vocals I thought were pretty strong though from the other three. So what's the answer? We all love the guy to bits, but I don't know that there is one. Introduce a more Gene heavy lead vocal set, get Paul to sing less demanding songs (like what!) or consider changing the key/register of songs to suit (but the songs would surely never be the same)? A slow down on live performances would seem inevitable with greater rests between shows possibly helping matters to a degree.
All said and done, current Kiss is better than no Kiss!

Pete

Re: Paul's Voice

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:52 am

All he needs to do is stop screeching to the audience in between songs.

Let's face it. He's 65 and not getting any younger. He's been performing for 45+ years and for most of that is been one of the best rock singers around. He manages his issues reasonably well now a days. Shame he lost a step or two with his vocals but that's old age!!

Anyway. Here's to the next tour!
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

tallfruit
Alive II (1977)

Postby tallfruit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:20 pm

do like many other bands do and do a few songs to vocal backing tracks, shinedown have done it for yrs, afterall with kiss it the experiance i personally wouldnt care if paul done a few songs to backing tracks to save his voice

JBraz
KISS (1974)

Postby JBraz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Whilst the London gig was my first Kiss gig, I found his vocals to be a lot better than what I had expected. I had seen a few videos from earlier in the tour where it really was cracking, but he seemed to be pretty stable in my opinion in london - albeit a lot of the time singing in a lower tone on songs, I'm guessing he knows his limits.

That being said, he did do a high note to show off in between one of the songs - and whilst not awful..maybe better if he leaves that out next time.

acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby acesmiddlefinger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Let's be honest. Paul's voice has been in constant decline since 2006. No amount of rest will make a difference. I know exactly what I am going to get when I go to see Kiss live. Over the years we have been spoilt with his vocal performances. With the guitar/drums and backing vocals to thrown in it isn't as noticeable as when he persists with his one man yodelling show. There are plenty of bands who use backing tracks in a live setting out there and I don't want my band to be one of them. The current shows I have seen rank highly on my Kiss show list even though Paul has been up/down vocally.
The band sound so tight and judging by the crowds response Kiss are more than capable of still providing a rock n roll experience that other bands struggle to emulate.

Backing tracks my arse!!! :D
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'

Pjcity
The Originals (1976)

Postby Pjcity » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I agree that Kiss is about being live with no backing tracks or vocals.... yes Paul's voice is nowhere near what it was but it's still going after all the shows they have done!!

Birmingham was better than Glasgow even though it was the night after so not sure if he needs more rest between shows / songs....

I think that they just need to be realistic with the sets on song choice, how many he sings / how many in a row....etc

As Gene says they won't be doing this in their 70's so I think we have a farewell tour to go to at most in the UK and therefore make the most of them whilst they are around people!!

TONYSOUTH
Alive II (1977)

Postby TONYSOUTH » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 am

It is what it is, just enjoy KISS for who and where they are currently, if you asked me way back in the 1980's (when I first saw them) if I would have seen KISS live in europe in 2017, I would have told you that you were crazy. But I have just had two excellent weeks with some great friends I meet via this forum, watching the best band in the world.

I will be on the kruise in November and we were told that they will be back next year. so if you still visit this forum on a regular basis, get posting messages, so you can also have some more crazy crazy nights over the fews years with new and old friends made on this forum.

Thanks to Paul and Peter for keeping it going. (And yes I do post more on FB these days than this forum). :wink:
This is only my opinion… it is neither right nor wrong (but my lovely wife tells me I'm always wrong)!

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:26 am

TONYSOUTH wrote:It is what it is, just enjoy KISS for who and where they are currently, if you asked me way back in the 1980's (when I first saw them) if I would have seen KISS live in europe in 2017, I would have told you that you were crazy. But I have just had two excellent weeks with some great friends I meet via this forum, watching the best band in the world.

I will be on the kruise in November and we were told that they will be back next year. so if you still visit this forum on a regular basis, get posting messages, so you can also have some more crazy crazy nights over the fews years with new and old friends made on this forum.

Thanks to Paul and Peter for keeping it going. (And yes I do post more on FB these days than this forum). :wink:

So they're coming back in 2018 then???
Wooooooo yeah!!!
Pete

madmark
Double Platinum (1978)

Postby madmark » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:40 am

"Thanks to Paul and Peter for keeping it going." SOUTH, you're a useless drinker! :lol: :lol:
Ziggy played guitar...or was it Ronson?

b.monkey4
Destroyer (1976)

Postby b.monkey4 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

Thought he was good in Birmingham and even better in London.
Seriously 100% better than he was a fortnight earlier.
Did you notice him jump an octave in the 2nd verse of IWMFLY at London? Never thought we'd see that again. And he also really went for it in the last verse of Detroit too!
They've already detuned from e flat down to d so that's not the answer and backing tracks (hopefully) isn't a route they'll ever take.
BUT...we really don't need to hear the 'ive got a feeling' squawky routine any more. Truly painful :?
READ MY NAME.

jonnybgoode82
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby jonnybgoode82 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:13 pm

I thought Paul's voice was a lot, lot better than expected but like others found it varied from song-to-song. Thought he struggled on Lick It Up and Psycho Circus but really impressed on Shout It Out Loud, Firehouse, Crazy Crazy Nights, Say Yeah, IWMFLY and Detroit Rock City. It seems to be when he's on songs back-to-back that the problems occur.

I wouldn't be particular adverse to them dropping LIU and PC and replacing with a couple more Gene songs, i.e. they could have dropped in Calling Dr Love and Parasite or even given Tommy an extra song? Perhaps chuck Beth in for a future tour too.

acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby acesmiddlefinger » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Politely disagree with you Jonny on Pyscho Circus. Always loved the song and was one of the highlights of the tour for me. While most people were focusing on Paul I just enjoyed watching Eric open up on this song.

Now the big question??? Any footage of that song??
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'

kisspep
KISS (1974)

Postby kisspep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:06 pm

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:22 pm

I personally hate 'Say yeah!', I just remember thinking there are so many great classic Kiss songs they could play instead of thsi gumby singalong nonsense.
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 am

nicksmithworld wrote:I personally hate 'Say yeah!', I just remember thinking there are so many great classic Kiss songs they could play instead of thsi gumby singalong nonsense.

If they're going to play a Sonic Boom song they should do MDD or Yes I Know.
Pete

Return to “General KISS Chat”