Strange Gigs

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
skinnymartin

Strange Gigs

Post by skinnymartin »

Took my daughter to the Rescue Rooms last night to see a band called the Rocket Summer (pretty much it is one bloke when he records and only uses a band when he tours).
It was a pretty strange gig. Not really my music, but very talented bloke. At one point he plays a snatch of drums, loops the sound, then does the same on bass, keyboard and guitar and sings a song totally backed by his own music.

They had lods of technical issues though and at one point did some short clips of other songs while he wated - Enter Sandman, Ghostbusters, WonderWall!!

Most disappointing bit was that he was only on stage for 1hour10mins, which I thought was a bit odd - we left the gig at 1/4 to 10!!

Is an hour and 10mins a rip off?
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
Pete

Re: Strange Gigs

Post by Pete »

skinnymartin wrote:Took my daughter to the Rescue Rooms last night to see a band called the Rocket Summer (pretty much it is one bloke when he records and only uses a band when he tours).
It was a pretty strange gig. Not really my music, but very talented bloke. At one point he plays a snatch of drums, loops the sound, then does the same on bass, keyboard and guitar and sings a song totally backed by his own music.

They had lods of technical issues though and at one point did some short clips of other songs while he wated - Enter Sandman, Ghostbusters, WonderWall!!

Most disappointing bit was that he was only on stage for 1hour10mins, which I thought was a bit odd - we left the gig at 1/4 to 10!!

Is an hour and 10mins a rip off?
The mildfarts oops I mean Wildhearts use to play for about 55 - 70 minutes. Not seen them for a while now so not sure if they still play a short set....

I guess it depends on how much it cost you????
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
PhoeniX PhiL
The Originals (1976)

Post by PhoeniX PhiL »

i'd say that 70 mins is standard for the size of the venue / artist.

I mean even those early Kiss concerts on Kissology 1 are only about an hour I think.

The stranhest gig i've ever seen was when Red Hot Chilli Peppers headlined Reading last year... it was beyond dreadful... It took 6 attempts for them to play their opening song "Cant Stop", Anthony Kiedis stomped off several times after onstage arguments, long (i.e boring) instrumental funk jams, John Frusiciante singing an acoustiic number alone on stage (an Eva Cassidy cover song apparentally).
Roger H
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Post by Roger H »

Lordi only lasted 20 mins. But to be fair they were still playing as I walked out of the venue :!: :wink:
Pete

Post by Pete »

hairychin wrote:Lordi only lasted 20 mins. But to be fair they were still playing as I walked out of the venue :!: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

To be fair ticket were only £9ea and daughter loved it. Support band (The Outline?) were crap though.

Am seeing Lordi at Wacken. Legends, if only for the Eurovision thing.

A world without heroes
Without heroes
Pete

Post by Pete »

skinnymartin wrote:To be fair ticket were only £9ea and daughter loved it. Support band (The Outline?) were crap though.

Am seeing Lordi at Wacken. Legends, if only for the Eurovision thing.
Surely the fact that they won Eurovision makes them more legendary :?: :? :?: :wink:
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
largebloke
Alive II (1977)

Post by largebloke »

hairychin wrote:Lordi only lasted 20 mins. But to be fair they were still playing as I walked out of the venue :!: :wink:
I was going to use this one as my weird gigs reference. I only went for a laugh with some mates and had a great time, but it was the support band who ripped off the "weird" title from Lordi. It was Turisas who seem to be gaining quite a bit of popularity now - I seem to see ads for their albums or concerts in every music mag I read. They play "Scandinavian Folk Battle Metal" apparently, and I can only say I was entertained. They're not a band I would get in line for, but if I had bugger all else to do, I'd go. Two moments match up for strangeness - I've seen plenty of twin guitar solos, but this lot did twin accordian solos :shock: Then they end the show with a rather rousing version of Boney M's Rasputin :lol: I never thought I'd see kids mosh to that!
When did Motley Crue become Classic Rock?
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Have seen Turisas. Very entertaining. But I went to Turisas to see Alestorm as support.

Now if you want weird music Genres - Scottish Pirate Metal has to be somewhere at the top of the list. Alestorm are class and are building a huge reputation touring like bloody mad at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm

I spent most of the Turisas gig getting pissed with them.

A world without heroes
Without heroes
Pete

Post by Pete »

skinnymartin wrote:Have seen Turisas. Very entertaining. But I went to Turisas to see Alestorm as support.

Now if you want weird music Genres - Scottish Pirate Metal has to be somewhere at the top of the list. Alestorm are class and are building a huge reputation touring like bloody mad at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm

I spent most of the Turisas gig getting pissed with them.
Alestorm? I'm sure that's a local breweries top seller...
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Roger H
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Post by Roger H »

Alestorm are class
Saw Turisas & Alestorm at the soundhaus in Northampton and had a great time :razz: , had a grin from ear to ear all night. Due to see Turisas again supporting Dragonforce later in the year,can't wait! Inflatable swords are at the ready :!: :D :D
Dwight Fry
Ace Frehley (1978)

Post by Dwight Fry »

Gruff Rhys, Sherman Theatre, Cardiff, 2005.

I wasn't expecting him to remain seated behind a table for the entire concert, wearing a flashing gum-shield with the lights turned down while playing anything from £3 plastic toy keyboards to a wind-up tweeting bird in a bird cage.

Fantastic though.
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Seeing Alestorm at Wacken. In fact the guys have promised to drop by for a beer. We'll see.

Also seeing them at the Park in Peterborough in September.

A world without heroes
Without heroes
Frehley75

Post by Frehley75 »

Ah, the spectre of Motley Crue's shabby Hammersmith show last summer looms large here.

But I don'ty want to go into that again... :roll:
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"
GlammyDave
Destroyer (1976)

Post by GlammyDave »

When the Manics started out i`d follow them round the pub/club circuit and they`d walk on,play for 30/35 mins not say a word the whole show then drop their guitars and walk off,its one of the things I found cool as hell at the time and totally refreshing compared to the 200th Warrant soundalike that was coming to a town near you at the time.