For all the newbies...

Talk about anything KISS related here.
w00dy

Re: For all the newbies...

Postby w00dy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:15 pm

How did you get into the band?
Saw a pic of them on my mates brother bedroom wall (just after EC had joined)and thought they looked great,then when i went to work at my uncles factory,one of the lads taped me Alive 2.
I was about 8 then

What's your fave record/member/DVD etc?
Alive is my fave record and i'm a $-) fan (that's why i play bass ;) ),my fave dvd is Cobo Hall 1975 :D

How many times have you seen the band? Have you seen them abroad?
Seen em 6 times now never abroad though.

What does Kiss mean to you?
KISS means everything to me,being a KISS fan is a way of life (but you all know that anyway)

Have you ever met a current or ex member of Kiss?
Met Gene in London when a few of us went down to Abbey Road.Made some very good friends that day.

JuggaloArmy
Love Gun (1977)

Postby JuggaloArmy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:25 pm

heard lets put the x in sex booming out of my brothers stereo and had a respect for the group from then, saw mini kiss in 2005 in ohio and they re sparked my kiss flame so i brought the greatest hits

only have records up to dynasty so far although at the min its prob rock and roll over but im sure the 80s stuff will grip me once i get to it ( i love cock rock)

member would be gene

dvd i like rock the nation because they play a great mix from all eras but it would have to be kiss symphony

i have seen em once at download and plan to see em abroad in the usa one day

cool band really cool songs ya can feel and their larger than life

ive met dtk :lol: NO and im not sure if i would like to either...............

well thats me :D

kissinuk
Administrator

Postby kissinuk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Great thread Pete. Don't think I'm a newbie anymore... but will answer anyway.
As sad as it is I have Bill & Ted to thank for this. I bought the Bogus Journey soundtrack just because GGRARTY was playing in my head for days after seeing the film. This lead to Revenge and the rest is KISStory. However, there is another connection.... my second cousin in Scotland was a massive fan and used to design his own covers for the 70's albums, I was fascinated by the drawings when I was a kid. He is currently in the band Rainland - http://www.myspace.com/rainland

Revenge, Destroyer, all the Alives and MTV Unplugged are all among my favourite albums. Best DVD is Extreme close up as it gave me a great insight into the band when I was a newbie. Favourite members are Paul and Bruce. Although I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with Paul at the meet & greet in Paris, whereas Gene and Eric were fantastic....

Only 6 - Donington '96, NEC '96, Finsbury, Wembley, Donington '08 and Paris '08. Really regret not catching the Revenge tour.

Enough to set up and run a website devoted to them! My faith in the band hit a high back in 94 when I was sent a package full of KISS stuff from Gene after I wrote to him saying how they helped me get through some tough health problems. I got a copy of Destroyer, pics, pictures and business cards!

One of my most treasured possessions is Eric Carr's tour schedule book that I got from his sister, even though I "joined" after he had died, watching clips of him soon made me realise just how much he was into his fans. A great great guy who will be missed forever.

I'll also never forget being told I'd soon grow out of them - that was 16 years ago and it never happened....

Yes, I've met Paul, Gene, Eric S, Tommy, Peter, Bruce & Mark. I've also had the pleasure of interviewing Bruce & Eric over the net, Mark in his hotel room and Peter by phone (and another phone one on the way very soon hopefully....!).

kiss-76
The Originals (1976)

Postby kiss-76 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:15 pm

My I just ask what it was that you found dissapointing about Paul last year? I would hate for him not to live up to my expectations so it would be upsetting for me if he didn't seem interested..... :?
Last edited by kiss-76 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let’s come to London, strip it down, turn it up and blow the roof off The O2 Academy.

dtkdemongene
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Postby dtkdemongene » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 am

How did I get into Kiss?
I was a HUGE fan of Adam & The Ants & even saw them live at London's Dominion Theatre on the 'Prince Charming' tour...
However, shortly afterwards, Adam dumped his Ants and went solo... and I was so disappointed in his new direction I was ripe for something new,,,
Lo & behold, when visiting family in Australia in early 1982, my cousin introduced me to KISS. He had posters of them all over his bedroom walls (they had toured Oz 16 months earlier) and they looked AMAZING! I asked to hear them so he put on Alive II. As the intro 'announcement' and opening riffs/pyro of Detroit hit me I KNEW I'd discovered something special. He then taped me Unmasked which I listened to everyday for the rest of my trip on my first Sony Walkman!
When I got home I immediately headed down Our Price and that's where the 'obsession' started...

Fave record?
Not sure.... I love each for different reasons. Have soft spots for Paul's 78 solo album, The Elder, Creatures, both Alive's and Unmasked though...
Also love the 4 new tracks on Killers...and would have loved to hear them do a full album like that at the time...

Fave member? $-) (obviously) but that's more to do with his onstage persona. I think *-) is the man due most respect though....
I also love Eric Carr.... great drummer and a sweet guy.

Fave DVD; Largo (Alive II)

How many times have I seen them?..Numerous.... Wembley '83, Wembley '84, Donington '88, Wembley '88, Asheville (North Carolina) 1990, Herschey (Pennsylvania) 1990 & NY Madison Sq Garden 1990, Glasgow, Plymouth, Wembley, Sheffield & Whitley Bay 1992, Donington 1996, Finsbury Park 1996, Wembley, Manchester & Birmingham (Reunion Tour), Vienna & Wembley (Psycho Circus tour), Donington 2008 & Paris 2008.

What does Kiss mean to me?
Summed up my way fo life since the early 80's, great party music, belief in oneself and an excuse to try & reenact it for myself! lol!

Ever met them:
Met all of them apart from Vinnie at one time or another. Gene, Peter, Paul, Ace, Bruce, Eric Carr, Eric Singer, Mark St John & Tommy Thayer... Met them backstage, at Expo's, onstage with DTK, in hotels and filming with Gene...
Live the KISS experience with the World's longest running/Europe's #1 KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill'.
http://www.dressedtokill.org.uk
http://www.myspace.com/kisstributeuk
The PERSONAL choice of Gene Simmons - "Accept NO substitutes!"

kissinuk
Administrator

Postby kissinuk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 am

kiss-76 wrote:My I just ask what it was that you found dissapointing about Paul last year? I would hate for him not to live up to my expectations so it would be upsetting for me if you didn't seem interested..... :?

Without doubt Paul is and will always be my favourite member. However last year backstage he was a bit moody when it came to signing stuff - maybe it was just a bad day, or maybe he was just nervous for the show. It wasn't just me that noticed it.

PhoeniX PhiL
The Originals (1976)

Postby PhoeniX PhiL » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Apologies in adavnace i got a bit carried away on this one...

It all started in 1986 with a 9 year old PhoeniX PhiL staring in bewilderment at a Kiss pinball machine sandwiched between a Flash Gordon & a Star Trek pinball machine at a Havens Holiday Campsite in France. I knew what Flash Gordon & Star Trek were but I didn't have a clue what the hell is this Kiss thing was all about & why it had a pinball machine. I asked my mum who gave a vague "Oh I think they were a 70's band... I can't remember any of their songs... they were probably more famous in France" I didn't really ponder on it any further but the memory remained and occasionally I think back to the glam rock band on the pinball machine that I presumed were French and had a man dressed as a tiger on drums.

My next encounter with Kiss was seeing Crazy Crazy Nights on the Chart Show and was thinking "Kiss? ...Isn't that the pinball machine band? Where's their make up?" The Chart Show then did it "Fascinating Fact Bit" and said about how Kiss used to wear make up but don't anymore. So for many years I presumed that CCN was their "unmasking song". Again it didn't make me a massive fan (I was more interested in Transformers and stuff at that age) but it was another seed planted.

When I was about 12 I got heavily in to rock & metal Guns N Roses were my favourite but I took them as a starting point and branched out. I picked a compilation called the Wild One which was very influential to me and put the first Kiss song in my record collection. The tracklisting was...
QUEEN - Breakthru
KISS - Crazy Crazy Nights
ALICE COOPER - Poison
BRUCE DICKINSON - Tattooed Millionaire
MEGADETH - No More Mr Nice Guy
THUNDER - Dirty Love
GEORGIA SATELLITES - Battleship Chains
ROBERT PLANT - Heaven Knows
QUIREBOYS - Hey You
SKID ROW - Piece of Me
WASP - The Real Me
LITTLE ANGELS - Kickin' Up Dust
FAITH NO MORE - Epic
RUN DMC - Walk This Way
LIVING COLOUR - Glamour Boys
VIXEN - Cryin'
I loved "Crazy Crazy Nights".. I always knew it was corny but it really spoke to me and the tune was irresistible. At this stage I still thought they were French or something... or atleast French Canadian (listen to the chorus vocals they do sound a bit French). Kiss were definitely on my radar now.. I swore if I saw one of their albums cheap I would snap it up but condemned to the small town trinity of Woolworths / Smiths & Menzies I couldn't find any of their records anywhere. I remember as word got around that I was turning into a bit of a rocker various friends dads & relatives would lend me albums but none of them had any Kiss plenty of Led Zep, Sabbath etc but no Kiss. I remember watching those Sounds Of The 70's programmes every week hoping to catch some footage of Kiss but alas no!

I probably would've let it lie there and then, but by luck "God Gave Rock N Roll To You II" crashed into the charts a few months later leading to the Revenge-era, "Unholy" in the charts and a huge article in RAW magazine that I read over & over again on a holiday to LA (where a local station "Pirate FM" had "I Just Wanna" on their playlist further fuelling the fire) when i got back to the uk I went to buy Revenge but my local John Menzies only had it on cassette and were charging £11.99 which i felt too expensive for a cassette album. Needless a few months later it was sold and they didnt restock it.

The Summer & autumn of 92 saw me being further drawn into the world of Kiss... there were cover versions in my collection by Skid Row ("Cold Gin") and Anthrax ("Parasite") and intriguingly an article in RAW with a band called 24-7 Spyz where they mentioned some of the albums that influenced them and they mentioned Kiss Alive. Underneath the bands opinion was a "RAW says" bit where they said something along the lines of "A classic offering with plenty of pantie wavin' influenence. Of course the poor boys never recovered.. that is until Alive 2!" I searched up and my high street looking for either Alive or Alive 2 in every record shop or charity shop I came across but nothing.

The next step of the cure was an instance where i happened to be listening to Virgin 1215 and Jono suddenly said "ok it's time to call the Army!" over a pounding bass groove. "Could he mean the KISS Army!" and before i knew it, i was lost in "I Was Made For Loving You" it was superb.. i couldnt believe how disco-y it was but it was brilliant and week or two later Alive III was announced in Kerrang and I immediately started saving for it's May release date.

SO AFTER ALL THAT BUILD UP.....

On May the 29th I ran down to an independent Record Shop in Sittingbourne and snapped up "Alive III" on CD ran back home and stuck it on. "COTN" exploded out of the speakers quickly followed by "Deuce" and then one i knew "I Just Wanna". It was exilharating... kinda like the first snog you have as a teenager. You've been waiting for it and you knew you were going to like but you never expected it to tingle like this. The whole first listen to Kiss Alive III was just like being transported to some strange alien world.. a world I felt very comfortable in. By the ending of "GGRnRTY2" i was on the verge of tears and bizarrely the version of "Star Spangled Banner" with all the explosions going off just made floods of tears pour from eyes. I was like finding religion or something... i sat on the living room in daze.. feeling cleansed. It was a bizarre experience... on ethat sent me on a three year quest of every record shop I happened to be near trying to track down the entire back catalogue most of which seemed to be deleted (which of course all got re-released about a year after I completed my collection). If memory serves the next five albums were LIU and Animalize on tape followed by Asylum on vinyl then Love Gun on CD and then Alive 2 on CD. With purchases of eXposed and Phantom of The Park (imagine my surprise when I saw it in a charity shop... Kiss in a sci-fi movie!?!) on video also around that time.

Favourite Album: This depends what element of Kiss i'm in the mood for really... As it was my first Kiss Album and I played it to death "Alive III" will always have a place in my heart. I can play Ace's solo album over & over again and still get new things from it. Give me a sunny day or hot summer night with Unmasked as the soundtrack and I'm in pop heaven. Destroyer is fantastic and the one I'd recommend to anyone who wants to buy just one Kiss album (even if it's a bit slick). "Alive 2" is a great demonstration of Kiss at the height of their 70's powers plus I love Unplugged as it gives a showcase to the often ignored slightly quirky pop song side to Kiss that I love ("Going Blind", "See You Tonite", "Sure Know Something" etc.) I'm also one of those pro "Music From The Elder" people.

Favourite Member: I love Ace bestest (his singing style, his guitar playing, his make up, his moves, the whole Jendell thing, the fact that he adds a element of risk to the sometimes too slick for it's good world of Kiss) but Paul Stanley IS Kiss. He is the only memember they couldn't replace. A big shout also has to go to Eric Carr - a great charisma and by all accounts a great guy plus just listen to those drums on Creatures Of The Night!

Favourite DVD (video): I'll always have a soft spot for "eXposed"... i bought this for 4.99 in Our Price about 3 months after getting into Kiss and just watched it over and over again that summer. The Spinal Tap-esque scripted comedy interview segments were extremely dumb but gave me loads of info. Plus it was first time I ever saw any make up era footage. I remember watching the '75 footage of Deuce thinking that it sounded very rickety compared to the highly produced Alive III version but the chorography and hunger of the performance just blew me away. The edit of Gene spitting blood with shots of him breathing fire was monstrously cool. Plus there was lots of little new things I discovered like the fact that Peter Criss sang and that Vinnie Vincent had his own make up. All these little nuggets that made me hungry to dive even further into the world of Kiss.

At the moment though it's Kissology Vol.2

Alas never. Attempted to see them at Donington '96 but got let down by "friend" (who kept assuring me that he sort out tickets and transport but didn't) at the last minute. Had to miss the London dates later that year due to a new job I started that week. Was going to go Finsbury Park but had a prior engagement. After that I was living in Cardiff but was simply too broke to be able to make any trips. Then after hearing the sluggish and uninspiring "Alive IV: The Millennium Concert" I lost all interest in seeing my heroes past their prime...HOWEVER the "Alive 35 Download" has re-affirmed my faith. The next time they play the UK I hopefully go (ideally they'd be playing Hyde Park next summer).

I did see Ace at The Astoria last April though. It was amazing. When he kicked off with Rip It Out I thought my heart was going burst out of my chest.

So much! Perhaps too much... sometimes I get quite overwhelmed by their music. I love all periods of Kiss admittedly some of the albums have tracks which I tend to skip but ultimately Kiss' music just sends a naughty jolt through my body. Not everyone gets it but hey it just makes them more of MY band. When I got into them there was no internet and it was chore to find their albums. It was like a treasure hunt. There's always been an element of mystery to them which I like.. I mean in the UK they don't really have any hits as such and so their music is never really over exposed. A case in point would be when I was a teenager I liked Nirvana but I never needed to put on Nevermind because every f*cheer in the world was playing it on every jukebox in every pub whereas shutting the door on my bedroom and popping on Destroyer was a real treat just for me.

I also like their versatility AC/DC are great but every album is pretty much the same. Kiss are very underrated in terms of the different musical aspects of their career: Hendrix-y riff rock, Stones / Faces swagger, New York Dolls trashy cool, Slade power-stomp-glam, disco, power-pop, Metal, Orchestral Broadway-esque moments, 80' stadium rock, acoustic ballads.. heck even grunge. You simply cant get bored with the back catalogue.

No... but I did wait outside the Astoria for Ace though even though I'm not an autograph kinda guy.

Wally & Jugs
Alive! (1975)

Postby Wally & Jugs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:45 pm

A fantastic post Pete,thank you, I've read them all so far-keep 'em coming people.
Its great to see where,when,how we all got into Kiss,whose been where,whose met who & all the different favourites we have.We sure span a lot of age groups

Wally & Jugs

JuggaloArmy
Love Gun (1977)

Postby JuggaloArmy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 pm

kissinuk wrote:
kiss-76 wrote:My I just ask what it was that you found dissapointing about Paul last year? I would hate for him not to live up to my expectations so it would be upsetting for me if you didn't seem interested..... :?

Without doubt Paul is and will always be my favourite member. However last year backstage he was a bit moody when it came to signing stuff - maybe it was just a bad day, or maybe he was just nervous for the show. It wasn't just me that noticed it.

its reasons like this that im not sure if i would wanna meet em i have met people from bands b4 and had great times chatting to them on down to earth levels but i honestly dont know what i would say to kiss i mean they are gods! they are just so huge! what could i say to bring em down to earth that would contain any substance in a 2 min meeting? what could i say to let them know how much i feel them that has not been said to them a hundred thousand times allready? they must be imuned to it by now

kiss-76
The Originals (1976)

Postby kiss-76 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Sorry came across as rude there...Meant to say he not you :D
Let’s come to London, strip it down, turn it up and blow the roof off The O2 Academy.

grunge
Peter Criss (1978)
Location: Walsall, West Of The Midlands! Official KISS ARMY Member #1010 XBox Live: Oh4Q

Postby grunge » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:17 pm

In '79 me & my mates would pay a weekly visit to a market stall in my home town Willenhall. While flicking through all the vinyl I saw an album with a weird looking dude on the cover with a drip of blood in the corner of his gob. All my friends were getting into rock & we made a pact that none of us could like the same band. So, I couldn't choose AC/DC, Sabbath, Maiden or Thin Lizzy - so because of this album cover I'd seen, I chose KISS - well Gene Simmons of KISS to be correct!
I got the album for my 11th Birthday (March 1980) - the first thing I heard was the opening of Radioactive, that'll do me!

Compared to all the metal my friends were into, Gene's album was pretty tame so, the next album I got was Love Gun ('cos of the cover again!) - I could now face the world as a Rocker!! :wink:

In July of 1980 my (2nd) Cousin mentioned on a visit that KISS were playing in Stafford in September - after much pestering, my Dad (RIP) gave me the money for a ticket (£4.75!).

I'll never forget that night for as long as i live - I was a KISS fan!

Gene is/has & will always be my fave member - I've played bass since I was 11 (I sold my ZX Spectrum to buy my 1st bass!) solely because Gene played bass!

Fave album is Love Gun - it's raw man! AliveII is a close second!
Video/DVD - Animalize Live Uncensored - I worked during my school holiday at a shitty supermarket to get the money to buy it. I quit the day I bought it!

15 times - I never really had the money to travel abroad to see them until last year but, saw them on every UK tour since 1980.

It's a way of life - I've been beaten up - verbally abused and ridiculed for having KISS patches on my demin when I was a kid. But, it's the one thing I've always believed in and had faith in - it really is a religion to me. Even through the '80's period with the member changes I always loved the band.

Eric Carr's passing is the only time I've cried about a death other than family members (and pets!).

I got Paul's rose for my 1st tattoo when I was 18.

I'm currently getting a 3/4 sleeve tattooed for my 40th.

I've made some good friends through KISSinUK - I'm proud to be a member of our little part of the web!

And for those who don't know, I met my wife over the 'net while trying to book to see Paul on his solo tour in 2006. She's from Detroit ( like, where else?!?). I never got to see Paul - but, I'm so glad it all worked out the way it did. Our honeymoon was seeing KISS @ Download, Nijmegen & Paris last year. Again, something I'll never forget!

I've never had a desire to meet any member - 'Never meet your heroes.....' I have met Eric Singer at an Expo and Bruce Kulick at Nick Smith's UNION Birthday gig (my mates band supported) - I think that's when I 1st spoke to the legendary Lord Dan of Bach.
Last edited by grunge on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danger You, Danger Me, Danger Mouse!
Shock Me - Put on your black SWEATER!

ImageImageImage ImageImage

tallfruit
Alive II (1977)

Postby tallfruit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:52 pm

hi all
im a newbie of sorts to this forum have been watching and reading it since it began, but for some reason never joined until now, have been a kiss fan since 1980 saw them in stafford that year and was hooked,since then seen them on every uk tour and just about every date of the tour lol, inc the ace solo show in hammersmith, unfortunetly sold all my collection a couple of yrs back needed the cash and it was taking over the house, all i have now are the cds and dvd`s .
heres a pic of me back in the day with mr simmons holding my kramer axe bass, bit older now lol
stuart
Last edited by tallfruit on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TommyIV
KISS (1974)

Postby TommyIV » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:32 pm

I had been aware of this band called Kiss, seen pictures and read about them, but had never heard any music. Then one memorable eveing they were featured on Jonathan King's Entertainment USA on BBC2 - the 'I Love It Loud' video. The sound of Eric's drum, the colour, Ace et al coming to live on the small screen, having only previously been colour pictures - awesome!
That was it, 'COTN' purchased as soon as, followed by receiving Alive, Alive II and Destroyer as Xmas pressies. From then, every vinyl album was purchased, which for the older ones meant regular trips to HMV/Virgin in London (local record shop was largely Kiss-free and totally apathetic), up until 'Crazy Nights' and then I just kinda lost interest until Alive IV. I was vaguely aware of Kiss happenings, but not listening to the music.
Favourite DVD gotta be Symphony - my partner bought it as a present and it blew me away and made me want to play Kiss music again. Always had a soft spot for Xposed as was my first Kiss DVD and gave me the first sight of the old Kiss concerts and magic.
Favourite record COTN - got me well and truly hooked
Favourite member - Ace (then) Tommy (now)
To my shame, I have never seen them live through a combination of circumstance, fiscal hardship and apathy during my 'wilderness' years. They are the last of my 'Big 3' supergroups I have to see (AC/DC and Rush done) - rest assured I will be seeing them should they venture over again.
Playing Kiss music makes me feel young again and like its 1982/83 all over again.....
Not yet....

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Wow! What great replies.

Nice to see how the band has influenced us all. Just a shame young Daniel 3786 hasn't responded...

Maybe Paul could make this a sticky, so any other newbies can tell us all about their love for Kiss?
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Cheers Paul.

As this is now a sticky...anyone else wanna tell us about there love and passion for Kiss?

New folks...don't be shy to tell us your tales...

:D
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Return to “General KISS Chat”