Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Talk about anything KISS related here.
kissengland
The Originals (1976)

Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby kissengland » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

I'm hoping it's a grower, because right now, I'm not too impressed (after playing it 3 times).
I wont spoil things too much for you, but some of Gene's lyrics sound very familiar!
Give Me Measures Of Pleasure And Pain, Boiling The Blood In My Veins

largebloke
Alive II (1977)

Re: Monster - Whats Your Verdict?

Postby largebloke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I love it - major riffage all over the place, and there's a lot of great lead work by Tommy.. There are a couple that some will feel are fillers, but on the whole, an album that I know I am going to enjoy for a while.. :D
When did Motley Crue become Classic Rock?

Gojira1975
Gene Simmons (1978)

Postby Gojira1975 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm

2 listens so far, enjoyed it both times. On second listen though, it became apparent ( in my opinion ) that a couple of tracks could have been cut from it.

All For The Love Of Rock N Roll for example, is dreadful. Not a patch on All For The Glory, which was a highlight of SOnic Boom.
DEATH TO FALSE METAL

Frehley75

Postby Frehley75 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:55 pm

First impressions after a couple of spins: “Shout Mercy” is a killer, the “Black Helter Skelter Dog” cock up on “Wall Of Sound” should have been strangled at birth, they should have got Ace Frehley to do the solos like on “Sonic Boom” and the kids’ tracks are damn good if a bit blatantly Ace and Peter.

Sounds like it’s more of a contemporary Rock record than “Sonic Boom” which tried (and succeeded brilliantly, to me) to recreate “Classic Kiss”.
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"

AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby AxeBass » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm

My one listen on the way to work this morning sounded great, up there with Sonic Boom and such a treat to still be smiling at the great riffs and lyrics that this band keep giving us.... Looking forward to the drive home...

Im going to avoid those 30 second clips on itunes in the future as they distort your expectations of what the album will be like. You have to listen to the whole song to know!

almack
Double Platinum (1978)

Postby almack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Well I've had it on most of the day and apart from Eric's track I think it's F**king Mint!!

I liked SB but this to me is soooo much better and will be getting regular time on the iPod!

Long Way Down is the stand out track for me... *-)
They try to tell us we don't belong, but that's alright, were millions strong......

Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Postby Father Jack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Listened to it twice on Saturday & forgotten most of it already.
I'll have to wait until my cd turns up on release day :roll: :roll: so I can have a proper listen

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:57 pm

On first listen it's a mile better than SB, but that wouldn't be hard as SB was 75% shite!

Other than 'All For The Love...', which sounds like a bad 70's pub band, none of the songs are really bad, but then none of the songs really jump out and grab you either. The one thought that did go through my mind was that it doesn't sound like a KISS album. No anthems, no really up tempo 'get up and party' tunes.

But as for 'one of the top 3 KISS albums ever' bumpf from the mouths of KISS...er, NO! This is not gonna trouble any of the 70's albums or even the early 80's albums in the classics list!

So, onto second listen now...see if anything grabs me!
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

hywelkidd
Alive! (1975)

Postby hywelkidd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 pm

So much better than Sonic Boom. Really enjoyed every song (All for the Love is the weakest song on the album but it's not that bad to be honest). After one listen so far, I'd say HoH, Wall of Sound and Shout Mercy are the best songs. Monster will be getting a lot of plays during my many hours of travelling to and from college.

Ray The Tongue
Alive II (1977)

Postby Ray The Tongue » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm

A solid but generic release,along the same lines as Sonic Boom,nothing to exciting on first listen.Tommy replicates Ace's style as well as ever and Gene and Paul sound good enough. I expected very little so its easy to not get dissapointed,to be honest i dont think Kiss have written a classic song since 'Psycho Circus' 8)
With the change in Paul's voice i do miss the Tears Are Falling...Million to One stuff,Gene had his evil sexist style of writing that came from his personna,where Paul had the ballads big anthems and melodic masterpieces,and Ace was just off the wall.
Now its a little more middle of the road rock in a key thats easy for the guys,still at least the guys are still playing and touring and i am sure with more listens i will find it to be better. :)

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm

2nd listen done!

Shout Mercy/Long Way Down/Outta This World/Take Me Down Below & Last Chance are my favs, but still nothing to rave about. Good 'foot-tappers' but nothing I'd say that was a classic.

Still the album, as a whole, is much better than I expected I just can't say it really excites me at all though.
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

starchildmark
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Postby starchildmark » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 pm

This will take some getting in too. A good album but not a great kiss album. When you put it against the latest shinedown and halestorm albums it falls flat. But i must say Tommy does a great job on the album.

Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Postby Sour Mash » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Shinedown and Halestorm .?? C'mon it would just be wrong to compare ....!!
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 am

feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby acesmiddlefinger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 am

Blimey so glad we all get to have an opinion....

I think the album is fantastic, nearly 40 years down the line and this band still puts a smile on my face. This will be on the IPod for quite some time, i cant wait to see some of these songs live. I seriously hope that Gene and Paul allow Eric and Tommy to sing their songs from this album,they are both very catchy tunes.
Im not into comparing KISS albums from now and then,just seems a tad silly to me,yesterday is yesterday end of. Gene and Paul sometimes make a rod for their own back by saying the new album is a mix of Destroyer and Revenge etc, but they did promise Monster was good and they have delivered.
Its obvious this line up feel comfortable around each other, over the past few yearsthey have written a new chapter of the KISS legacy.

People seem to want to compare this album to other bands, i even heard someone compare it to Black Ice.What a crock,it knocks that album for six.

If this is the last studio KISS album then i wont be disappointed,a solid effort and i think Tommy deserves a special mention for his input. Co writing many of the songs and putting down some decent guitar work,unfortunately because it doesnt sound 'Aceish' some people will be disappointed. Not sure what more the guy can do to convince some people that he FULLY deserves his place in front of the logo?

Will be interested to see if KISS play the entire album on the cruise as Gene has suggested,that would be performance i would love to see.
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'

Return to “General KISS Chat”