learning to play guitar = advice needed

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
KISStrooper
Double Platinum (1978)

learning to play guitar = advice needed

Post by KISStrooper »

OK i've always wanted to play the guitar and never got around to......infact i cant play a bloody thing and i dont own a guitar.

I dont want to play the classical stuff, i dont want to be ace frehley lol and i dont want to join a band.

I would like to be able to pick up a guitar and knock out a tune though, nothing flash just a tune.

All you guitar players out there, what advice could you give me.

Whats the best way to learn? is it lessons, is it via a book? should i get an acoustic or electric?

is there anything i should know or avoid?
Mick
nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Re: learning to play guitar = advice needed

Post by nicksmithworld »

it's ALL here my friend.. all here:

http://www.kissinuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4865

"when the student is ready the master will appear"
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!
KISStrooper
Double Platinum (1978)

Post by KISStrooper »

PMSL !!!!

For a light has suddenly appeared in my life and all my questions have been answered............

I have a Mac....... i have garage band.........im off to recreate Van Halens "aint talking bout love"...........what a piece of piss this guitar malarky.......thankyou. :D
Mick
raydeen
Ace Frehley (1978)

Post by raydeen »

Home Shopping Network to the rescue!

You need to enter the magical musical world of flamenco guitar master, mysterious and intriguing telecelebrity, and friend-to-insomniacs Esteban. The guy never sleeps. He's like on the shopping channel 24/7 hawking his "You Too Can Play Guitar!" program.

http://media.hsn.com/esteban-complete-g ... ccm=m|1042

There are diagrams of 960 chord patterns included. St. John the Mensch appeared to me in a dream last night and told me "You ain't gonna need 956-I mean 957 uh dem."
The quality goes in before the name goes on.
AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Post by AxeBass »

There is only one way to learn. Get lessons. You will learn a few chords from books but no techniques. Buy an electric guitar and look on the notice boards for tutors that teach rock and blues. There is no rock without blues. Good luck.
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Don't follow my example.

I have a classical guitar, electric guitar and a bass sat at home all waiting for me to learn to play. They have been waiting for quite a few years.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

skinnymartin wrote:Don't follow my example.

I have a classical guitar, electric guitar and a bass sat at home all waiting for me to learn to play. They have been waiting for quite a few years.
I raise you a les paul, a bass, an electo acoustic and a 12 string acoustic and can't play for toffee.
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Mr.Spireite wrote:
skinnymartin wrote:Don't follow my example.

I raise you a les paul, a bass, an electo acoustic and a 12 string acoustic and can't play for toffee.
:D

A world without heroes
Without heroes
PyroMessiah86

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

AxeBass#69 wrote:There is only one way to learn. Get lessons. You will learn a few chords from books but no techniques. Buy an electric guitar and look on the notice boards for tutors that teach rock and blues. There is no rock without blues. Good luck.
Hmmmm id have to disagree. While lessons are all well and good, its perfectly possible to just learn from books. I think you'll find many of the classic guitarists of our time spent most of the time hidden away in their own bedroom learning from books. Me included (i had 2-3 lessons and realized it was agreat waste of money). A teacher can skip over many things that you'd easily pick up from a book. Just depends on your learning style...teachers do have their merits. Buy a book first then look into teachers if you think its a good move.

The other bonus from learning on your own is you will more than likely pick up your own style/sound rather than whats been shown to you.
KISStrooper
Double Platinum (1978)

Post by KISStrooper »

any decent books recommended?
Mick
AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Post by AxeBass »

BlackieUK wrote:
AxeBass#69 wrote:There is only one way to learn. Get lessons. You will learn a few chords from books but no techniques. Buy an electric guitar and look on the notice boards for tutors that teach rock and blues. There is no rock without blues. Good luck.
Hmmmm id have to disagree. While lessons are all well and good, its perfectly possible to just learn from books. I think you'll find many of the classic guitarists of our time spent most of the time hidden away in their own bedroom learning from books. Me included (i had 2-3 lessons and realized it was agreat waste of money). A teacher can skip over many things that you'd easily pick up from a book. Just depends on your learning style...teachers do have their merits. Buy a book first then look into teachers if you think its a good move.

The other bonus from learning on your own is you will more than likely pick up your own style/sound rather than whats been shown to you.
I don't think this guy is aspiring to be a classic guitarist like yourself. From what he said he wants to bang out a few tunes and feel good about doing so. Sticking your head in a book if you know nothing as a starting point is seriously dull and boring when a half decent tutor will have you knocking out Cold Gin, Highway to Hell or Cat Scratch Fever within the first lesson or two.

I agree that learning styles differ and if you are a book worm then go for it and self study but if you want a bit of fun as quickly as possible then pay for someone with similar musical taste to yourself to show you. Worry about developing your own style when you can actually play a few songs and have something to style.
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

I think you'll find many of the classic guitarists of our time spent most of the time hidden away in their own bedroom learning from books. Me included
Self-praise indeed. :D

I take your point. But, I know from my personal perspective that until I invest in a tutor, I will never learn. Different strokes for different blokes etc.
The motivation of needing to practice and improve before the next lesson will make the difference.

A world without heroes
Without heroes
PyroMessiah86

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

skinnymartin wrote:
I think you'll find many of the classic guitarists of our time spent most of the time hidden away in their own bedroom learning from books. Me included
Self-praise indeed. :D

I take your point. But, I know from my personal perspective that until I invest in a tutor, I will never learn. Different strokes for different blokes etc.
The motivation of needing to practice and improve before the next lesson will make the difference.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: wasnt really supposed to sound like that LMAO

Yeah was basically saying the same. People learn best indifferently. Depends who it is etc. 8)
nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Post by nicksmithworld »

Wouldn't it be easier to sell your soul to the devil at the crossroads?? :shock: :D :D

mind you 'SWA' tried selling his soul to Satan, but he ended up selling his Soul to 'Santa'!! BOOM BOOM!

but Hey! you should see his christmas box :D :D :D
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!
starchildmark
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Post by starchildmark »

Mick get a mag called total guitar, i get it every month, it is a good read and has some good tips for people starting out

Get a chord book and just have a bash, thats how i started and 25 years later i am still shit LOL

:D