W.A.S.P. “30 Years of Thunder” World Tour

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
PyroMessiah86

W.A.S.P. “30 Years of Thunder” World Tour

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

W.A.S.P. – “30 Years of Thunder”

From www.waspnation.com

Twenty Nine years ago today, on September 21st 1982, W.A.S.P. played their first show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles.

On September 21st 2012 W.A.S.P. will begin the “30 Years of Thunder” anniversary Tour starting in the United Kingdom and continuing worldwide!!

This World Tour will be the biggest spectacle W.A.S.P. have ever created. The two hour show will consist of three parts. A one hour set contain songs from the first four albums. The second set will be a 25 minute shortened version of “The Crimson Idol” complete with the movie accompaniment. A third set will consist of material from the New Studio Album, older material and everything in between. This show will see multiple video screens, pyrotechnics, and elements from the early W.A.S.P. shows (maybe even an exploding cod piece) and Blackie’s moving microphone stand “Elvis”!

The “30 Years of Thunder” World Tour - This promises to be the Greatest W.A.S.P. Show Ever !!!

Ma
Gene Simmons (1978)

Re: W.A.S.P. “30 Years of Thunder” World Tour

Post by Ma »

Oh yes !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Will make a nice birthday gift for me for next year :wink:
PyroMessiah86

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

From WASPnation.com KISS get a mention:

W.A.S.P. "30 Years Of Thunder - Part One

This is the first monthly installment of fifteen in total to chronicle the real events of this Band and give you all a little better insight to the last thirty years in our history. A lot has been written over the years, some true, some not. These monthly installments will give you a snapshot of what really happened.

The First W.A.S.P. Show

It was early June 1982 when I met with Chris Holmes to discuss working together again. It had been over 4 years since the two of us had played together in the band Sister. Sister was the group where we both learned the type of Rock-Theatre that we would later do in this new band. Originally we had no intention of playing live shows. I had written about 10 songs that we were only going to record and then shop them around trying to get a record deal. Many of those early recordings were songs that would be re-recorded for the first album. The problem was, we got no offers from any of the major labels. They all turned us down. So after impatiently waiting around for 2
months for a response (that never came), we decided to go out and try these new songs live. We didn’t know if they would be accepted by a very jaded L. A. audience but we thought they were pretty good. Love Machine, Hellion, Sleeping in the Fire, On Your Knees, these were songs that NO RECORD COMPANY wanted. Seems funny now!

Anyway, in our haste to make something happen we decided to go out and play live, something we said we would not do. First we needed a direction. The four of us were, Chris, Tony Richards (drums), Don Costa (bass) and myself. Don was the last to join. If we were going to do this, we did not want to just stand still and play songs. We wanted to entertain ourselves. This is where the idea of the “show” really came from.

For the record, the first show was played in August of 82’ but I was still playing guitar. Don Costa was playing bass. Don was a fantastic player and performer and was a real star. He used to do a routine where he nailed a metal cheese greater to the back of his bass. In the middle of the show he turned the bass over and started grating his knuckles on it. Blood was streaming down his arms – it was quite a spectacle! Chris had a major problem with this. Not that the visual of it bothered him. It was the idea that Don stopped playing the bass to do it. There were actually a number of times during the show that he stopped playing for one thing or another. The next day Chris gave me an ultimatum, either he or Don was leaving the band. I tried for an hour to get Chris to reconsider but he didn’t want to know about it. I would not leave Chris so I was elected to break the news to Don. This was tough, as I had actively courted both Don and Tony to leave the band they were in at the time. That band was called Dante Fox. They would later change their name to Great White.

Now we have no bass player! I had known Randy Piper from a couple of bands that he and I had played in before. An early incarnation that had Tony, Randy and myself could never get off the ground. The missing ingredient was Holmes and I knew it. So I called Randy and asked him to come down. I felt the chemistry was there but there was only one problem – no bass player. Randy could sing and I needed another voice to do all those harmonies with. I had sent copies of the demo tape to both Ace Frehley and former Kiss manager, the late Bill Aucoin. They had agreed to come out to L. A. to see our first show at the Troubadour that was quickly approaching. Now we have one of two options, find a bass player and rehearse him in 3 weeks and I just sing lead, OR I play bass. The other two would not even discuss the idea of them doing it. Holmes said, “we’ve already got 4 very volatile personalities, we don’t need a fifth guy to make it even worse”. So it’s off to Guitar Center (there was only one back then and this was the original on Sunset Blvd.) to buy myself what I would eventually refer to as “the tool of ignorance”. That description was unfair but it described my anxiety and frustration toward that instrument at the time.

There were two shows that were booked for us to play the Troubadour. The first was September 21st and the next week on the 28th. Both were Tuesday nights at 8 PM. Considering the Troubadour was closed on Monday, these were the worst time slots in the week. There were 63 people in attendance at that first show. Humble beginnings !!

More Next Month!!
B. L.

AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Post by AxeBass »

I can see a few trips abroad aswell as a road trip at home for this one. A year to plan aswell. :D 8)

In the meantime .... from my WASP collection ... an original newspaper advert for the 2nd of the 2 first ever WASP dates at the Troubadour refered to in Blackie's recollections...

Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

This looks like being a meet up of Biblical proportions.
Ma
Gene Simmons (1978)

Post by Ma »

AxeBass wrote:I can see a few trips abroad aswell as a road trip at home for this one. A year to plan aswell. :D 8)

In the meantime .... from my WASP collection ... an original newspaper advert for the 2nd of the 2 first ever WASP dates at the Troubadour refered to in Blackie's recollections...

Ahh Sep 28th, my birthday :D
I have one of these posters but it is half the size and printed on blood red paper, dont know if its an original or a copy, most probably a copy
Pete

Post by Pete »

Father Jack wrote:This looks like being a meet up of Biblical proportions.

Why? Are Kiss playing here next year too? :wink:
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

Who ??
Pete

Post by Pete »

Father Jack wrote:Who ??

They're playing too!?
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
MrBlackwell
Alive II (1977)

Post by MrBlackwell »

Great news...roll on next year!!
High Priest of Kisstianity.

Ma
Gene Simmons (1978)

Post by Ma »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DnBMfKKqA[/youtube]

:twisted:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-WUzg4 ... re=related[/youtube]
Chris Holmes, ffs :lol: quality !!
PyroMessiah86

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

“The Road Warrior Cometh”

The first show on the 21st went OK but was a little less memorable than we would have liked. Although Ace and Bill Aucoin had been invited to the first show and were planning on coming to L. A., I called them about 2 weeks earlier and asked them to come to the show on the 28th. It turned out to be the right decision because we just weren’t ready. As a band we had the chemistry but still needed more time to come together. We learned a lot from that first show. We weren’t bad musically but to make the impression on the 2 of them was going to take more than we had presented at that first show. We needed a real visual hook, something that would truly STUN people! Remember, we’re attempting to “wow” 2 of the people that reinvented the genre of “Over the Top/Shock Rock”. This was going to be no small feat. Trying to show them a warmed over, poor man’s version of what they had already done would be a disaster.

There was a type of experimental theatre that I had heard about that had been tried at UCLA (University of California L. A.) back in the 1960’s called “psychodrama”. It was live theatre group that would start out on the stage and progress into the audience and do improvisation. A lot of it was based on whatever the audience reaction was to the performers. Reportedly Jim Morrison had been a member of this ensemble. I had seen the early Alice Cooper group do the “Love it to Death” show in 71’ and that too had a big affect on me. As a band, all of us had been tremendously influenced by 2 new movies that had just come out, “Conan the Barbarian” and “The Road Warrior”. The whole idea of Chris and myself wearing the backless pants came from “The Road Warrior”. That movie had a real impact on me. You must remember, a lot of my musical background (the N. Y. Dolls, Killer Kane) would later be called Punk Rock. To me this WAS a Punk Rock movie! The visual imagery of it was spectacular and it was captured by a terrific cinematographer named Dean Semler. I loved his work. He would later be the Director of Photography on our video’s for “The Real Me’ and “Forever Free”. The day after we shot “Forever Free” he left to do a little movie called ”Dances with Wolves” (which he won an Oscar for). I had been thinking for a while about what would happen if a band could put Heavy Metal together with Punk. It really didn't seem to be much of a stretch to me. I saw a lot of similarities between the two, but more visually than musically, although that musical line would latter be blurred by other groups. Even a lot of our early stuff had definite Punk overtones. Much of me describing all of this might feel to you like I’m rambling around here, but it’s important for you to understand everything that was going on around us in a very, very short period of time. Even the naked girl on the torture rack that would come a couple of shows later, it too was a direct influence from the “Road Warrior”. The chase scene at the end of the movie where the two people are tied standing up to the front of the truck with hoods over their heads. The image of two completely terrified and helpless people also left a big impression on me. To me this was true horror. Even to this day I’ve never seen a “Jason” or “Freddie Kruger” movie. It never interested me because it wasn’t real. I was always more fascinated with the inner workings of the human mind and that scene hit me hard. It was such a pitiful image, so pathetic. What made the whole “girl on the rack” thing work was not the idea that we had a naked woman on stage. It was the helplessness of it all. You could see it on people’s faces when we did it in the show. They were stunned! It was designed to be more physiological than simple shock and that’s why it worked. Shock bored me then and it still does.

So back to the show on the 28th. The idea of “psychodrama” led me to throwing the “Raw Meat”. This was the first “Big” idea that we needed. It was vile, it was rude, it was crude and it was perfect. I later said it was like, “going to a Baseball game, you had to pay attention or you’d get hit with a foul ball”. It was taking what was on the stage and putting it out in the audience. Although to someone talking about it that had not seen it, it seemed incredibly juvenile. But if you were there and saw it, it was terrifying. First of all, when you go to a live show there’s an invisible barrier between the audience and the band. If you're out in the crowd, you're safe, nothing is expected of you, you're basically invisible. NOT AT THIS SHOW!! The Meat DESTROYED that invisible barrier! No rock band had ever broken that imaginary line before like that. Now, nobody was safe, nobody knew who was going to get hit next. A few shows later when the crowds got really big it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Because there were so many people, nobody could move. I’d single people out and there was nothing they could do to get away. I’d look them in the eye and they’d start shaking their heads franticly screaming, “NO, PLEASE, NO!! Now this created the “car wreck on the side of the road” mentality for everybody else in the audience. You watched it in a morbid curiosity even if you didn’t want to. Nobody ever got hurt though because I made it look like I was hitting them a lot harder than I did, but the spectacle of it was intense. It was also where eventually the “Blood Drinking” came from. We put the meat in the “Raw Meat” box and one night during one of the shows I looked down in the box after I had thrown the meat into the crowd and noticed there was about a cup of real blood in the bottom of it. I always loved improvising on stage so it seemed obvious to me, so………down the hatch!! Nothing like a good mistake!! Another W.A.S.P. trademark was born. Not by design but total improv. That’s how a lot of the early stage gags came about, some were defiantly planned, but some were not. I was always surprised that nobody ever saw the connection between us and those movies. It was one of those things where we were waiting for somebody somewhere to bust us for it, but it never happened.

Later on, after the show that night both Ace and Bill came back to the dressing room and it all went well. We never ended up working together for various reasons but we always remained friendly. I often wondered what would have happened if we would have worked together. Both of their inputs were extremely valuable, but we had more growing we needed to do…….and man oh man we grew…….into a Monster!!!!!

More Next Month!!!

B. L.
MrBlackwell
Alive II (1977)

Post by MrBlackwell »

UK dates:

SEPTEMBER 21ST LONDON: THE FORUM
SEPTEMBER 22ND EDINBURGH: HMV PICTURE HOUSE
SEPTEMBER 23RD NEWCASTLE: ACADEMY
SEPTEMBER 24TH BELFAST: ULSTER HALL
SEPTEMBER 25TH DUBLIN: VICAR STREET
SEPTEMBER 27TH MANCHESTER: HMV RITZ
SEPTEMBER 28TH LEEDS: ACADEMY
SEPTEMBER 29TH NOTTINGHAM: ROCK CITY
SEPTEMBER 30TH NORWICH: WATERFRONT
OCTOBER 1ST WOLVERHAMPTON: WOLFRUN HALL
OCTOBER 3RD CARDIFF: THE GREAT HALL
OCTOBER 4TH BRISTOL: ACADEMY

Tickets on sale 9am this Friday :D

Pete

Post by Pete »

MrBlackwell wrote:UK dates:

SEPTEMBER 21ST LONDON: THE FORUM
SEPTEMBER 22ND EDINBURGH: HMV PICTURE HOUSE
SEPTEMBER 23RD NEWCASTLE: ACADEMY
SEPTEMBER 24TH BELFAST: ULSTER HALL
SEPTEMBER 25TH DUBLIN: VICAR STREET
SEPTEMBER 27TH MANCHESTER: HMV RITZ
SEPTEMBER 28TH LEEDS: ACADEMY
SEPTEMBER 29TH NOTTINGHAM: ROCK CITY
SEPTEMBER 30TH NORWICH: WATERFRONT
OCTOBER 1ST WOLVERHAMPTON: WOLFRUN HALL
OCTOBER 3RD CARDIFF: THE GREAT HALL
OCTOBER 4TH BRISTOL: ACADEMY

Tickets on sale 9am this Friday :D
:shock: :shock:
I thought they'd play the Academy at least .
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
MrBlackwell
Alive II (1977)

Post by MrBlackwell »

Definitely going to Wolves....tickets £18 by all accounts!!!