Deep Purple

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
milese
The Originals (1976)

Deep Purple

Post by milese »

Any Purple fans here?

I went to see them a few days back in Birmingham (a present from my sister so it was a no lose situation) and was REALLY impressed. I do have several albums but had never bothered seeing them live. They are touring with a mini orchestra (not the volume of KISS symphony) but the orchestrations worked musically. Also, Gillan's voice is still really strong; Don Airey appears to be a perfectly acceptable Jon Lord whilst Steve Morse can do Blackmore better than Blackmore himself ( a la Tommy / Ace)

What say you lot?
Last edited by milese on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ma
Gene Simmons (1978)

Re: Deep Purple

Post by Ma »

I would LOVE to go, but "someone" doesnt like Deep Purple :roll:
Some people :roll:

And i know StarchildMark would ABSOLUTLEY LOVE to hear Child In Time LIVE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hywelkidd
Alive! (1975)

Post by hywelkidd »

Noticed today they've released a DVD of their set at Montreux this year. Superb stuff. Wonder how much longer Gillan will keep his voice, he still sounds amazing. Shame I couldn't afford to go to the Brum show, if the Montreux show is anything to go by, it would have been awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdroBYZvNVU[/youtube]
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Interesting comments about Gillan's voice. Saw Deep Purple at the temporarily revived Monsters of Rock at Milton Keynes a couple of years ago. Thought his voice was the weak spot in an otherwise great band (still enjoyed it though). Might check them out again now.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Downy »

I like Deep Purple. :)
It's a shame Jon lord is not on the keys because he's ill at the moment.
Don Airey is a really good player as his playing on Whitesnake 1987 album was great. :)
Hopefully I will get to see them live in the future.
Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Post by Dan bach »

milese wrote:Any Purple fans here?

I went to see them a few days back in Birmingham (a present from my sister so it was a no lose situation) and was REALLY impressed. I do have several albums but had never bothered seeing them live. They are touring with a mini orchestra (not the volume of KISS symphony) but the orchestrations worked musically. Also, Gillan's voice is still really strong; Don Airey appears to be a perfectly acceptable Jon Lord whilst Steve Morse can do Blackmore better than Blackmore himself ( a la Tommy / Ace)

What say you lot?
I'm a Purple fan, last time i saw them was in the mid 90's was Morse there then, i'm not sure.
Saw them at Knebworth - the reunion in 1985.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Don Airey is a great keyboardist - check out his work with Ozzy and his solo album K2.
Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Downy »

Dan bach wrote:
milese wrote:Any Purple fans here?

What say you lot?
I'm a Purple fan, last time i saw them was in the mid 90's was Morse there then, i'm not sure.
Saw them at Knebworth - the reunion in 1985.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Don Airey is a great keyboardist - check out his work with Ozzy and his solo album K2.
I forgot he played on Ozzy's stuff as well. :)
paul m
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Post by paul m »

Saw them last night @ MEN - have to agree they were superb and the orchestra involvement was really well arranged.

Some amazing sols spots from each of them - Steve Morse and Don Airey especially.

Big shout out to Cheap Trick as well - superb opening act - pity they've never really caught on over here - bit of a gamble having them open for you !

Excellent night overall
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

Downy wrote: I forgot he played on Ozzy's stuff as well. :)
Come on Paul, get with the program mate. :lol:
Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Downy »

Father Jack wrote:
Downy wrote: I forgot he played on Ozzy's stuff as well. :)
Come on Paul, get with the program mate. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray The Tongue
Alive II (1977)

Post by Ray The Tongue »

I have kind of felt the band are a spent force and Ian Gillan has lost it vocally,love Purple and Gillan despite this, his work on Sabbaths Born Again was amazing as well. 8)
http://www.facebook.com/raymond.paul.bionic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PyroMessiah86

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

MOR 2006. My first and LAST Deep Purple show. Really disappointing. Alice Cooper & Journey (mimed vocals or not) completely wiped the floor with them. Was not expecting their show to be so....naff. Was really looking forward to it aswell.