New Years Eve 1999/2000
KISS New Years Eve show
This review has come from Sna who was at the show last night, many thanks to
him for it....
Here's some observations about the NYE show, from what I saw:
- No drum solo - it really wouldn't have fit in with the crowd anyways
- Opened with a 10 - 15 minute video documentary highlighting the release dates of all their albums and other KISStory moments.
- Played 2000 Man right after midnight
- The whole countdown to midnight was rushed. Paul had to quickly end the song they were playing (I can't remember what it was) and start
talking about it being almost midnight. There was a big digital clock on the rear wall of the stadium (facing the stage). The clock didn't
display seconds on it, and there was on countdown on the big screen. It just turned 12:00 and Paul announced it, there was a cheer, and Ace
started the 2000 Man riff.
- Decent crowd in the end - I was thinking earlier that the turn out wasn't going to be so good, based on seeing the number of scalpers
selling tickets "below cost" shortly before the doors opened, but by the time KISS came on, the place filled out pretty good. I would guess
there was at least 16,000 people there.
- Paul played a Ibanez model (I think) guitar with a big "2000" on it for a couple songs. His main guitar appeared to be a Sunburst color
- Peter screwed up the opening drum beat to I Love It Loud. Instead of playing the 1-and-2-3-4 beat, he played 1-2-3-and-4 (like Do You Love
Me). Other than that, Ace and Peter did great versions of Lick It Up, Heaven's On Fire and I Love It Loud. I noticed that Ace basically hung
back on stage, by Peter, while Paul and Gene were at the front during these songs.
- Sound was nothing special. I've been to other concerts at BC Place, and this one didn't sound any better than the other shows I've seen.
Too much echo.
- More real fire than other KISS shows in years. During Heaven's On Fire, Detroit Rock City, and others, they had 4 flame columns going off
(two in front, two in back), like the old days.
- Big display of sparks and smoke at the end of Rock 'N' Roll All Nite, with several pinwheels. The drum rose and there were two hydraulic
lifts for Gene and Ace, while Paul smashed his guitar
- The techs running the fly rigs must have been a little rusty as Gene had a
bit of a stutter at first when being hoisted then when he reached the top it
was rather hard and he swung a bit before getting onto his perch. Paul was
stopped a little short of his stage initially and then when they brought him
closer to the stage, he almost overshot it.
- A guy hoped over the guard rail during Love Gun and grabbed Paul at the
- When they were showing the video retrospective, The Elder actually got a
pretty big reaction from the crowd and Creatures received an even bigger
- I Love It Load met with a big reaction from the crowd as well with very
- Song list Psycho Circus, Shout It Out Loud, Deuce, Heavens On Fire, Shock Me,
Firehouse, Do You Love Me, Let Me Go Rock and Roll, (Midnight Countdown), 2000 Man,
Ace's Solo, Cold Gin, Gene's Solo, God Of Thunder, Lick It Up, I Love It Loud,
100,000 Years, Love Gun, Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, Into The Void, Beth,
Rock and Roll All Nite
Back To Contents
Drop me (Paul Finn) an E-mail.