Kiss New Album?

Talk about anything KISS related here.
rsauye
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Kiss New Album?

Postby rsauye » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Ask Paul

On whether it's still worth making a new KISS album now that the band already has so many classic songs that everybody knows:

Stanley: "It's only worth doing it if, artistically, you wanna do it. Every time we finish an album, I kind of go, 'Well, that's it.' Whenever we've done an album… When we did 'Sonic Boom', it was because the band was so good that I just thought to not capture the band and do new material would be a shame. But once we did 'Sonic Boom', I said, 'Well, we've made the point.' And then, a few years later, it was, like, 'Wow, why don't we dig deeper and get a little closer to the roots and the people that we loved and kind of do something else,' so we did that, and then I said, 'We're done.' But lately I've been thinking, yeah, we should do another. There's no secret that when anybody who's considered classic or of our generation does a new album, most people are not interested in hearing that stuff; they tolerate it at best. If you turn the sound off and you put on a live [THE ROLLING] STONES concert or a live [Paul] McCartney concert, I'll tell you every time they're playing a new song, 'cause the audience sits down. You tolerate the new song, 'cause you wanna hear 'Brown Sugar'. You tolerate the new song, because you wanna hear 'She Loves You', 'Strawberry Fields'…. whatever it is. So I'm aware that doing an album is more for my own satisfaction than anybody else's. That being said, if I don't feel the need to do it, then there's no need to do it."

Pete

Re: Kiss New Album?

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:53 am

rsauye wrote:Ask Paul

On whether it's still worth making a new KISS album now that the band already has so many classic songs that everybody knows:

Stanley: "It's only worth doing it if, artistically, you wanna do it. Every time we finish an album, I kind of go, 'Well, that's it.' Whenever we've done an album… When we did 'Sonic Boom', it was because the band was so good that I just thought to not capture the band and do new material would be a shame. But once we did 'Sonic Boom', I said, 'Well, we've made the point.' And then, a few years later, it was, like, 'Wow, why don't we dig deeper and get a little closer to the roots and the people that we loved and kind of do something else,' so we did that, and then I said, 'We're done.' But lately I've been thinking, yeah, we should do another. There's no secret that when anybody who's considered classic or of our generation does a new album, most people are not interested in hearing that stuff; they tolerate it at best. If you turn the sound off and you put on a live [THE ROLLING] STONES concert or a live [Paul] McCartney concert, I'll tell you every time they're playing a new song, 'cause the audience sits down. You tolerate the new song, 'cause you wanna hear 'Brown Sugar'. You tolerate the new song, because you wanna hear 'She Loves You', 'Strawberry Fields'…. whatever it is. So I'm aware that doing an album is more for my own satisfaction than anybody else's. That being said, if I don't feel the need to do it, then there's no need to do it."

Hope this happens and they bring back Eddie Kramer or Bob Ezrin for one final hurrah, but Paul's final quote is the key thing...(to me at least)
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

AxeBass
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby AxeBass » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 am

As he said, there is very little point unless he himself fancies it. Let's face it, Monster and Sonic Boom get slated constantly on Kiss fan sites so what he is saying is true. Personally I play those two albums just as much as any of the classic but that makes me a minority user!

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:08 am

AxeBass wrote:As he said, there is very little point unless he himself fancies it. Let's face it, Monster and Sonic Boom get slated constantly on Kiss fan sites so what he is saying is true. Personally I play those two albums just as much as any of the classic but that makes me a minority user!

I often play both SB & Monster too. Wish I'd gotten hold of a vinyl version of SB when it was available too...
Pete

Pjcity
The Originals (1976)

Postby Pjcity » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:47 pm

It's an easy option to slag off current Kiss and in that I include the current members, the last two albums and possibly the last few tours (Stanley's voice is gone, the set list is poor etc etc) however TBH I love the fact that this band is still out there doing things in 2016. As Gene says every day above ground is a good day and I welcome any new addition to the Kiss catalog be it a new tour / CD / DVD Bluray.

For the record (pardon the pun!) I play Monster and SB just much as any other Kiss stuff these days, I love having the Kiss buffet and can choose any era I like but you know what.... I love it all......loud and right between the eyes!

rsauye
Rock And Roll Over (1976)

Postby rsauye » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:43 am

New Quote From Paul

"I’m of the mindset now that I’d do another album if it wasn’t just a rehash of (‘Monster’),” Stanley said during a recent phone interview. “I’d want to do something with a little more scope. … If we pushed ourselves away from what we’d do instinctively or most easily, and if everybody’s on the same page and it works, I could see going into the studio."

b.monkey4
Destroyer (1976)

Postby b.monkey4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 am

In other words, 'yes we're doing another album'.
Which probably means an album and tour....then probably the farewell tour.
Thought we'd only get one more tour out of them but maybe this means two...
Whatever happens i'm sure they'd like to keep at least something going so they can celebrate that big five o.
READ MY NAME.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:37 pm

b.monkey4 wrote:In other words, 'yes we're doing another album'.
Which probably means an album and tour....then probably the farewell tour.
Thought we'd only get one more tour out of them but maybe this means two...
Whatever happens i'm sure they'd like to keep at least something going so they can celebrate that big five o.

The Paul Stanley whispers Kiss songs tour???

Looking forward to new Kiss music and any tour that follows. I do think their European tour days are now sadly behind them though...
Pete

b.monkey4
Destroyer (1976)

Postby b.monkey4 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:49 am

The more terrorism attacks there are in Europe, the smaller our chance of ever seeing them over here become :cry:
READ MY NAME.

benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby benambro » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:07 pm

b.monkey4 wrote:The more terrorism attacks there are in Europe, the smaller our chance of ever seeing them over here become :cry:

And you know that because?

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:39 pm

benambro wrote:
b.monkey4 wrote:The more terrorism attacks there are in Europe, the smaller our chance of ever seeing them over here become :cry:

Not sure anyone knows for sure but it seems patently obvious to me that's the reason the 2016 Euro trek was cancelled in favour of the current FTR US tour. KISS are an expectionally patriotic band who would probably be a very high profile target in Europe given its current state.

Of course could be wrong and they'll be here next year but I somehow doubt it....

Would love to be proven wrong though for many reasons.
Pete

benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby benambro » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Pete wrote:
benambro wrote:

Not sure anyone knows for sure but it seems patently obvious to me that's the reason the 2016 Euro trek was cancelled in favour of the current FTR US tour. KISS are an expectionally patriotic band who would probably be a very high profile target in Europe given its current state.

Of course could be wrong and they'll be here next year but I somehow doubt it....

Would love to be proven wrong though for many reasons.

Well, I think it's likely that terrorism was the reason for the change, maybe they had 2 offers on the table and they were going to do Europe until the events that happened and went with a lost city tour instead. I don't see what happened being the decider for all tours from now til they retire and that's simply because they'll get great offers. I don't see them coming back next year, I think they'll do a package tour with a band, if it's a British band we might get lucky since mr *-) said we needed a tour :P

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:50 am

benambro wrote:
Well, I think it's likely that terrorism was the reason for the change, maybe they had 2 offers on the table and they were going to do Europe until the events that happened and went with a lost city tour instead. I don't see what happened being the decider for all tours from now til they retire and that's simply because they'll get great offers. I don't see them coming back next year, I think they'll do a package tour with a band, if it's a British band we might get lucky since mr *-) said we needed a tour :P

On May 26th 1992 Mr Stanley said loud and clear in front of a rabid NEC crowd " See you next year". They didn't return until 1996...
Pete

benambro
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby benambro » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Pete wrote:
benambro wrote:

On May 26th 1992 Mr Stanley said loud and clear in front of a rabid NEC crowd " See you next year". They didn't return until 1996...

They don't understand years very well.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:07 am

Pete

Return to “General KISS Chat”