For all the newbies...

Talk about anything KISS related here.
Fortress
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Re: For all the newbies...

Postby Fortress » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:26 am

Hello all,Greetings from Edmonton,AB Canada! My name is Des and I've been a fan since 1978 when I was 4.

Q1 . How did you get into the band?
Watching the original North American airing of Phantom

Q2 . What's your fave record/member/DVD etc?
Make-up record is Creatures,Non-Make-up Hot in The Shade,Favorite Member is a tough one. Gene?
Favorite DVD these days is Kissology 2 with the Commentary on.

Q3 . How many times have you seen the band? Have you seen them abroad?
Bad Boys of Kiss in '95,Reunion in '97,The,ahem.."Farewell" in 2001.

Q4 . What does Kiss mean to you?
Hard to explain. It was fascinating when I was a Child,my whole world as a teenager and a bit of a rock for me as an adult.
Its very personal to me. I admit to liking it all more when nobody cared about them.

Q5 . Have you ever met a current or ex member of Kiss?
Met Peter back in 1995. He was very nice. And quite short. Picture and an autograph was no problem.

fried alive
Ace Frehley (1978)

Postby fried alive » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:17 pm

welcome fortress

ALIVE_cat
KISS (1974)

Postby ALIVE_cat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 am

I was always snakin my older brothers classic KISS records as a a kid...

When he graduated and went in the Air Force at age 18,
he gave 'em to me...still got most of 'em, too..

I used to put the pillows and coffee cans (the more the better or course)
in a semi-circle on the couch, grab the drumsticks,
& pretend I was Peter while listening to ALIVE!

In particular, I remember, even into my teens, rewinding the cassette (yeah I'm that old, so what!!)
to hear that opening 1-2 power-chord crunch of HOTTER THAN HELL on ALIVE!
(preceded by a barely audible click of the drumsticks)

Over & over & over & over...I was like friggin Rainman with those two notes..

ALIVE! is one of my favorite albums of all time,
and certainly my favorite KISS album, by far.

I don't care how it was made...
IMHO, it's the PERFECT representation of the ideal KISS show,
& thanks to Eddie Kramer, it sounds fuc*ing AWESOME to this day.

Eddie had mojo enough for Jimi Hendrix, and it worked GREAT for KISS too.

well, somewhere in my mid-20's I started drumming for a hobby

flash forward a couple decades...

I just joined up as a drummer for a KISS tribute,
and our first show is in San Diego,
then 3 nights in LAS Vegas!!

How cool is THAT???

Here's a photo of me, be kind...lol...

acesmiddlefinger
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby acesmiddlefinger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum Fortress and Alive Cat. :)
'Who knows where we'll be in the morning,i know we're here tonight'

crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Postby crad » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 am

Welcome aboard the uk's No 1 kiss forum :)
Good luck with show :) ,cool pic also post some pics of the show please..
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD

ALIVE_cat
KISS (1974)

Postby ALIVE_cat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am

Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

ALIVE_cat
KISS (1974)

Postby ALIVE_cat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:46 pm

by local, do you mean the UK?

Well, it's definitely on our list, no doubt....
hoping to make a bit of a Euro-tour happen.

I got a close friend in Prague that wants a show,
my other buddy's family is in Turkey, so we're going there too...

What's the good venue(s) there? Is London the safe bet, or elsewhere?

loftyhites
KISS (1974)

Postby loftyhites » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Long time observer of the forum - so I feel like I know many of you!!

How did you get into the band?

I first got into the band when I saw the single Shandi/She's so European (Unmasked cover). Played that single over and over - loved it. At the time, I was really big into Adam and the Ants (I was 12!!!) and these guys took the make-up to another level. It was 1982 and the first albums I bought were the 'new' Creatures of the Night album and the record shop recommended Kiss Alive. What a shock that was - from Shandi to Strutter. Anyway - completely blown away and a fan ever since.

What's your fave record/member/DVD etc?

Fave default record - still Kiss Alive, however I fluctuate between what is my fave record depending on what I like at the time. Current fave is Asylum but no doubt that will change next week. Fave default song is Love Her All I Can - but fave current song is King of the Mountain. Fave DVD is Second Coming.

How many times have you seen the band? Have you seen them abroad?

First time was LIU tour '83. Didn't see them again until Revenge '92. Saw pretty much most of the UK Reunion and Psycho Circus shows in the UK and saw a few reunion shows in Europe with Nick. Took my 10 yr old daughter to see Sonic Boom - Sheffield and she was just blown away.

What does Kiss mean to you?

Listening to the music always gives me a lift. Can be frustrating at times - with how members past and present always big each other up and then knock each other down, and seemingly waiting forever for Monster. But most of all - Kiss mean so much to me because they always get me coming or going, they've sold more gold records than the Beatles, wear more make-up and high heels than your mommy...

Have you ever met a current or ex member of Kiss?

No - but I've met Nick Smith!!

crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Postby crad » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:40 pm

If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD

Kev

Postby Kev » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Hello all the newbies, nice to see the place getting busy again. :D :D
ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)

bigrob
KISS (1974)

Postby bigrob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi all. My names Rob from Leeds and i've been a fan since 1978 at the tender age of 8.

I got into KISS when i had a choice of buying either an Elvis radio or a KISS radio when visiting family in Rugby. I'd never heard of KISS but they looked cool so plumped for that one (wish i knew what happened to that radio). I must admit i thought Ace was a girl until i found out who they were from my cousin the following year after she bought the I Was Made For Lovin You single. So as well as thinkin Ace was female, i also thought they were a disco band. Not the best start.
Anyhow, i convinced me mum to buy me buy KISS alive 2 and after opening the gatefold sleeve and hearing "You Wanted the Best..." that was it. KISS was my life.

My fave album. Mmm. Cos it was the first KISS album i bought, and remembering how i felt after listening to it for the first time, its got to be Alive 2.
Fave member is Paul.
Fave DVD has got to be Second Coming

I've seen em 10 times now. First time was Donnington 88, last time was Wembley 2010, the day before my 40th birthday (stayed at the Wembley hotel, and ended up in the kitchens eating Muesli in me Boxers after sleepwalking, but thats another story entirely).
I saw em in Hamburg in 2008 at the Color Line Arena which was a great gig.

I met Gene on the last night of the Revenge tour in Birmingham (May 26th 1992). I'm sure many of you UK fans remember KISS Crazy, the UK fan club run by Carol.
Well they ran a competition for 2 fans for each gig on the tour to sit backstage with KISS and hangout for a while. I entered, not thinking i'd win. I'd already got tickets for the Birmingham show which was actually 2 days after i got back from holiday with my girlfriend.
The day before we went on holiday i got a letter through the post. I'd won!! However my delight was shortlived as i saw that i'd won for the Sheffield Arena gig on May 18th - when i was in Tunisia.
Oh please God no. My girlfriend, although sympathetic, didnt want to cancel the hol (suffice to say we are no longer together), so i left all the details with my mate to contact Carol and try to swap the Sheffield meet & greet for the Birmingham one. He couldnt get in touch with her, and believe me i've regretted not cancelling that holiday ever since.
Anyway, a few of us went to the Birmingham show, and i took the Competition winning letter with me in the hope of finding someone who would take pity on me. I showed it to a guy in the Box Office who told me where the Backstage door was, and to go hang around there. We went round the back of the arena, and as we turned the corner, there was Gene stood giving an interview to a couple of reporters. Oh my God, oh my God. When he'd finished the interview he came over and shook my hand and asked me how it was goin.
I explained about the competiton i'd won and showed him the letter, asking if there was anything he could do.
Now i'll stop here just to let you know what i was thinkin at the time. Here was my idol (Gene was my fave member at the time) standing in front of me. And although this was the man i'd worshipped for the last 13 or 14 years, he was after all just a human being, and i didnt want to come across as a gushing idiot. Just be normal Rob
So when Gene replied "dont worry man, me and the band are like that" (crossing his fingers), i said (jokingly) "Oh, so you know KISS then?"
Well, Genes face dropped. "well err, this is me here err on my t-shirt" (he had a KISS t-shirt on). Oh good lord. He thinks i dont know who he is. Our Gene didnt appreciate a bit of northern humour. I've since read many times that he has a strange sense of humour.
Thankfully the situation was soon rectified and he gave us aftershow passes for an autograph signing session. This wasnt as good as the competition win as only Gene came out to do the signing and you couldnt get near him, but at least i got to meet him.
I bumped into Carol from KISS Crazy a few years later at a KISS convention in Bradford and told her the story. She said she'd tell Gene about it as (hopefully) he'd now find it funny.
Happy days!

Kev

Postby Kev » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:49 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General KISS Chat”