For all the newbies...

Talk about anything KISS related here.
jaymze
Destroyer (1976)

Re: For all the newbies...

Postby jaymze » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:01 pm

How did you get into the band?
My brother "acquired" (ahem!) a copy of Smashes, Trashes & Hits on tape in 1989. It did the rounds around the house with my Brothers and Sisters before I really listened to it. Have been a fan ever since.

What's your fave record/member/DVD etc?
Member: Hard to choose a fave member but probably Gene (always thought his attitude was cool, even if I see a bit too much of him on TV these days, talking the same old talk...). Bruce is second (just a cool guy). Then Vinnie (musically brilliant, but a bit messed-up attitude wise).
Record: Again hard to choose. Probably Revenge. Though Love Gun, Lick it UP, HITS and the 1st album are a very close 2nd!
DVD / Video: Fave DVD is probably Rock of Nations from 2004. Fave Video would be X-treme close up. I still remember watching it with my mate Donnchadh a few days after it came out as a wee 14 year old, after reading the great review of it in Raw Magazine.... We are going to see KISS together in May.

How many times have you seen the band? Have you seen them abroad?
I've only seen KISS once, London 1999. It was a week after my 21st B'day so my parents helped to pay for the ticket / trip etc. I was in University in Republic of Ireland at the time so I went abroad for the show. I lived in the Ireland up to about 5 years ago so there was never a chance to see them there until now (I had a ticket for the infamously canceled show in 1996)....
I have seen Dressed to Kill twice and will be there again in April when they play The Ferry in Glasgow.
Going to see KISS at least twice this May (Dublin and Glasgow), still thinking of Sheffield too......

What does Kiss mean to you?

Probably still my fave band after all these years. I'm into loads of different types of bands these days, bands that I follow online and catch the shows when they visit my city (CHIC, The Rolling Stones, Human League to give some examples of the variation); but KISS still rule the roost!

Have you ever met a current or ex member of Kiss?
I met Eric Singer briefly in 2007. It was while I was walking around the SECC (Glasgow) at an Alice Cooper gig. I saw this small guy with long blond hair with a big burly security guard. So I went after them and spoke to Eric for a few moments. He liked my KISS t'shirt.
KISS Wembley Arena 1999
KISS Islington Academy 2010
KISS Dublin O2 Arena 2010
KISS Glasgow SECC 2010

hywelkidd
Alive! (1975)

Postby hywelkidd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 am

I saw the greatest hits CD in a shop about 8 or 9 years ago for a few quid so bought it to see what they're like and have been hooked since.

My favorite record would be either Destroyer or Sonic Boom (despite some of Gene's lyrics lol). I also really love The Elder and all of the Alive albums, as well as some of the stuff from the 80's and 90's. My favourite member is Eric Singer. I just love how he plays, and he's the one who got me into drumming in the first place :) My favourite DVD would be the Kissology DVDs, there's some really great stuff on them.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see them yet but I do have a ticket for the show at the Birmingham LG arena in May.

Everything. They're the first band that I was really into. I liked some stuff from bands before hand but never really thought of myself as a 'fan' of any of those bands (although I always quite liked The Beatles). If it wasn't for Kiss, I may not be into music as much as I am so may not have ended up meeting my fiancée (we're on the same music courses in college).

Kev

Postby Kev » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 am

ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Postby Dan bach » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 am

Hi there HywelKidd,

Welcome to the forum,
I bet you are looking forward to the NEC/LG show on the 5th of May.

Great to have you on here.
Cheers
Dan bach

Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Postby Downy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 am

Welcome to the forum HywelKid. :)

hywelkidd
Alive! (1975)

Postby hywelkidd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks guys, really looking forwards to the gig. I've seen some great bands live before (Black Stone Cherry, Alice Cooper and Hawkwind to name a few) but this should be the best one by far (although Alice Cooper was fairly awesome).

Demon Dave
KISS (1974)

Postby Demon Dave » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Hello.

Another newbie here, although I have met some of you before.

I got into Kiss around 1978 when I bought Kiss Alive 2. First time I saw them was at Bingley Hall, Stafford on the Lick It Up tour. Also saw them, and met them, in Leicester a couple of days later. That week was my most memorable Kiss experience to date. I'm a big Vinnie Vincent fan, but enjoy all eras of Kiss. Also saw 4 dates on the Animalize tour, Donington '88, Donington and Manchester '96. I'm looking forward to seeing them a few times on the upcoming Sonic Boom tour too.

Chat soon folks.

David

Glammy Dave
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby Glammy Dave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Welcome to the board Dave and hywellkidd too,the familiy is growing by the day,great stuff.
"Glams Not Dead,I`m Still Alive"

onethirtyeight
KISS (1974)

Postby onethirtyeight » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Hello. I am all excited about tomorrow's show in Islington so thought I would sign up

In 1987 I was 10, and fell in love with Crazy Nights. never looked back.

I don't pick favourites.

I have seen them 4 times so far, Wembley twice, Finsbury Park, and Donnington the other year. Got the Islington Academy show and one of the Wembley shows to go this year. Both will be attending by my unborn child, which I think is the best kind of parenting.

A sore throat from singing along

No. Not sure I would want to.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

Same138
KISS (1974)

Postby Same138 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:52 pm

I first remember seeing the sleeve of Destroyer in the window of a record shop in seaside town as a kid and thinking the band on the cover looked really cool, over the next few years I'd see photos or other sleeves here and there and that logo always stuck in my head. I first heard them on Entertainment USA when they showed the Love It Loud vid then mid-80s a mate did me some tapes including 45 minutes of Kiss (mainly from Creatures, LIU & Asylum) and that was it, hooked!

Favourite LP is Dressed To Kill, I just love it with Alive I & II following close behind. Member is and always will be GENE! Although I think Mr Simmons is a bit of an ass! DVD has to be the Symphony, how much does that rock? The Kissologys are very awesome though and I look forward to more of them (please!).

Seen Kiss 4 times over the years, Edinburgh '88, Donington and Nynex '96 and Finsbury '97, I plan to see them in Glasgow this year (my first hometown Kiss!) but haven't secured a ticket yet, but I will!

Big dumb Rock 'N' Roll, no need to think about it, just enjoy the ride!

Nope, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to , I'd just make myself look like a total fool!
RNRAN! PED!
Sam.E.

Shane
The Originals (1976)

Postby Shane » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:24 am

Not a newbie but I thought I would post this up anyway.

Been a fan since the day I was born. Dad is a huge Kiss fan and I just naturally grew up with listening to them non stop. the figures fascinated me when I was a toddler as well, I can remember looking at them while my dad tried to teach me their names. Think I was about 2/3 when I could name them all.

Record - Alive 3, Revenge or Destroyer. Alive 3 and Revenge were being played constantly as I was a kid so that might have something to do with it.
Member - Ace. Used to be Gene but as I started growing up Ace started to take over.
DVD - I don't really watch that many Kiss DVD's. Only have Rock the Nations and Kiss Symphony. Can't really decide. I have Exposed on video as well but I think thats it.
Merch - That I own, it's is either Kissopoly or my Silvertone cracked mirror guitar. Both because I actually do use them a lot and aren't just sat around my room. I do have quite a lot of figures and other stuff though. The russian dolls are pretty cool. Worst bit of merch I own is probably a life sized cardboard cut out of the band. Saw it, brought it, nailed it to the bedroom wall. It just scares people and makes me look like a freak. I love it though.

3 times, best show was Islington last tuesday :D
Also saw them at Download and Paris in 08. Should have seen them at Finsbury Park in 1997(?), but my dad decided I was too young and took my older cousin instead. Wanted to see them on the Psycho Circus tour as well but he still thought I was too young. When the year 2000 came he then said I was old enough to go and see them... So they decide not to come back for another 8 years after :roll:

Seeing them another 4 times in May, Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester and London. Looking into doing the first London date as well as the second, but thats just an idea at the moment.

Everything. It's quite scary when I think about it but I have been a fan all my life and if Kiss wasn't around then I would be so much different. I wouldn't play guitar, probably wouldn't like rock music, wouldn't have long hair and my personality would just be completely different.

I met Bruce and Eric at the Nottingham expo's, Gene the abbey road day with other people off the forum and Ace last December in a meet & greet.

Spooky_Von_Glitter
Dynasty (1979)

Postby Spooky_Von_Glitter » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Ha, I'm not a newbie either... But may as well give my 2 cents.

I remember seeing "love gun" on a market stall and thinking "ooh thats an odd name for an album... har har... penis" when i was like, 12. About a week later i was doing some test thing at school... and in the study time we had my friend shoved an ear phone in my lug and made me listen to stuff. Which was KISS. The Love gun album infact, i thought "awesomeeeee" so i went out and bought the album. So from then on, i was HOOKED and whenever i got money i'd go on a hunt for KISS albums, and kiss stuff.

Record? Well, i like most of them really. But the ones i listen to ALOT are unplugged, love gun, unmasked etc..
Member? Easy. Paul. Yum
DVD? Animalize live... love it.
Fave bit of merch? I couldn't tell you, but I love my KISS busts which i bought from our very own 'hairychin' and my... um... Paul Wall... LOL

I've seen them 3 times. The first time ever was Download 08... and it meant so much to me i got the date tattooed on my chest. Abroad? Twice. Paris 08, and Los Angeles 09. Janueary 08 and previous, i was so upset at the thought that i would NEVER, EVER see them live. Dream came true at Donington. That'll be with me forever.

As sad as it sounds...Everything. They have been am inspiration to me from a young age. I don't know what would have filled the void if KISS wasn't in my life. It takes up alot of my time too! In highschool i was always drawing KISS stuff on books, folders, other peoples faces etc. I would be a totally different person if I wasn't a Kiss fan to be honest! And these days i'm collecting, painting murals, getting them imortalised on my skin as well as talking about them daily with people on here and other forums as such.

I met Eric Singer at the Nottingham expo, and Bill Aucoin at tanother expo. I also met Ace Frehley at Best Buy in Hollywood in 2009.

stebeer`
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby stebeer` » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Guys I met a few of you in the glassworks bar before the Islington show and I said I would sign up was good to meet you and hope you all got in I was just in shock how small the place was, apologies I didnt stick around to talk much afterwards but the girl I went with actually lives in london so dont get to see her very often so was on catch up, but im going to a few shows in may so will be great to keep up and have a beer or ten with you all then.
was the one in the grey winter jacket and wearing the green fan club shirt
i'm steve from nottingham btw, very nice to meet you
also took a lot of pics, put em on photobucket and will try and work out how to put em on here soon enough

Why not use this thread here to tell us all about your Kiss experiences?

I actually got into via the film runaway month or so later i saw the promo video for crazy nites and it clicked that the bad guy was the bass player, it went downhill from there...i get soo much stick for loving this band but put it simply KISS RULE \m/

fave member is paul as far as im concerened its still kiss aslong as he's involved his whole persona and attitude is integral to the live show, like steven tyler in aerosmith i just dont think anyone else could replicate him

fave record is actually hot in the shade, doesnt have the big hits on it and no songs that they play live anymore but its the album as a whole i enjoy the most listening to in one whole sitting (if that makes sense)

dvd either second coming or symphony,

so far i've seen them at donington twice, the nec, finsbury park, wembley arena, islington last week and also in prague and stuttgart, the nec in 96 i think was my favourite i was a bit drunk and on a high my mates sat at the back could see me on the big lcd screens and i think i had to be dragged out cos i was hyper as hell and demanding to anyone in ear shot they play for at least another 2 hours \m/
in may im going to sheffield, birmingham manchester and both wembley shows

KISS RULE its my mantra, even though they have millions of fans round the world not many of my mates actually like em and i do get a lot of stick for them over the years tho they have to admit there impressed once they see em, family guy has helped i guess, the girl im going with in sheffeild is going purely cos she has heard me raving about em for years she knows some of the stuff now the last big show she went to was metallica at nottingham arena last year, so we just know already when she sees kiss she is gonna freak :)

have met bruce kulick in the rig he was doing an acoustic set for union was really pissed off it was really badly advertised and didnt know anything about it, i just happened to turn up for the club night and he was there at te bar with john corabi
met mark st john after a kiss expo also met tommy thayer just randlomly walking the streets the day after the prague gig
had 2 occasions to meet eric singer one in nottingham when alice cooper was in town and also in prague the same day as tommy, but was in shock and didnt pluck up the courage to say hi

the worst story that still makes me sick, my friends band was doing a gig at a pub called the old angel and i turned it down going to go see bullet for my valentine at rock city instead, met them all in my local afterwards and they just burst out laughing turns out gene simmons was there he wanted to use the place so his class from rock school could have a warm up, didnt beleive them til my mate showed me the mobile phone cam of them both together they had to buy me a few stiff drinks after to calm me down

but hey thats me, will still use this and keep in touch
til then roll on may \m/\m/

andylen
KISS (1974)

Postby andylen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi All

After years of just sitting back and reading on this forum, I thought it time to actually step forward, especially with 2010 being such a BIG YEAR!

So, here's my Kisstory...

Way back in the summer of 1980, I was round at a mate's house and he had Gene's solo album. I was just taken with the cover, thought it looked amazing. The following weekend I bought Alive II for the princely sum of £1.99 and the love affair started.

Fave member/record/DVD?

I had a soft spot for Eric Carr (see below), but I suppose it's got to be Gene. Love him or hate him, he's such a larger than life character who has his own beliefs and won't be swayed by others. I was never a big Peter Criss fan, highlighted on the Symphony DVD where he really struggles to keep up.

As for albums, from the first make-up era it's Destroyer - such great songs and fantastically produced, followed closely by Creatures and The Elder. From the unmasked days it's Revenge. Must admit I love Sonic Boom too.

As for a DVD, it'll be Exposed. It's quite corny looking back at it now, but at the time it was really funny with lots of good videos.

How many times have you seen the band?

I've lost count. Unfortunately I just missed the 1980 tour, but I've seen them on every UK tour since. After being at the Megastore signing of Creatures in 1982, the first live show was in Leeds on the Lick It Up tour. Saw them three times on that tour, followed them around the country on Animalize and Crazy Nights tours. Was at Donington when they co-headlined with Ozzy, and then on the subsequent reunion and Psycho Circus tours. Download 2008 was the last time.

I've not (yet) ventured overseas to see them!

What does KISS mean to me?

They are my favourite band and this year I celebrate my 30th KISS year. Nuff said!

Have you ever met a member of KISS?

On several occasions. Most memorably I spent an hour with them at Newcastle Airport on the Lick It Up tour. Gene was in particularly good form and Vinnie and Eric were bearing the brunt of his humour. I had a disc camera (remember them?) but had used all the photos at the City Hall show the night before. The newsagents in the airport had every other type of film! So I had no photographic record, however Eric took loads of photos of us!

The following year when they came back, Eric spotted me and my brother, came over to us and said "Hey, you were the guys at Newcastle Airport". I nearly died. He was one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet and always found time to chat to his fans.

So, it's 2010 and despite not making the Islington show, I'll be seeing them three times in May - Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester. The big thing for me is I'll be taking my kids Dan and Jack to their first KISS show, they can't wait!

Hope to see you there!

Andy

Return to “General KISS Chat”