Cameras and Phones at gigs

Talk about anything KISS related here.
lrostoke
KISS (1974)

Cameras and Phones at gigs

Postby lrostoke » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Does anybody else feel that this trend of filming and photographing at gigs is ruining the crowd atmosphere not just Kiss gigs.
Been a few gigs recently were I've thought the crowd was pretty limp, and to me it seems down to people standing there constantly filming or photographing rather than just watching the gig and being able to jump around without fear of ruining your shot.
Yeah ok one or two pics are nice, but the quality of most vids is utter shite, sound normally so distorted its painful.

You watch some of these gigs on Youtube and all you can see is bloody camera view finders.

Bay
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Re: Cameras and Phones at gigs

Postby Bay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I love it, you get some great pics and vids of shows! :D
ImageImageImage

daniel3786
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby daniel3786 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 pm

RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Postby RippingFleshFromBone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Seated gigs I was always take my camera unless I'm miles away and there's no point, but seeing as I rarely buy tix at the back that ain't really a prob!!!

If it's a standing gig and I'm seeing multiple shows I will take my camera to some and not others. I love beeing able to make my own videos...and if I post some on uTube and folks like them fine...if not, that's fine too.

But how many people on here have been able to see the Islington gig, and been thankful about it, because people took their cameras?

And seeing as I didn't take mine I'm glad they did too...
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

stebeer`
Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Postby stebeer` » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

couldnt just stand there and film the thing but with my digital camera i can pile down the front still get silly jump around and dance etc and still take pics without getting in peoples way and still get good shots...got it down to a fine art i think just stick the camera in the air and click away :)

Goat666
Destroyer (1976)

Postby Goat666 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:41 pm

I took a few good photos at islington but was always concious of the guys behind me. Get the camera in the air squeeze a few of - it gets the atmoshpere better that way - the real close magazine shots are great but they are somewhat sterile.

BESSO
KISS (1974)

Postby BESSO » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I agree with you in most of things... I mean, I have always taken pictures at all my KISS shows, since for me, photos are one of the best memories of a concert, especially if those photos were taken by me, but lately I have noticed that at shows you can see a lot of small screen from celullar phones, video cameras, photo cameras, etc... perhaps it's against the philosophy of enjoying the concert.

That's a reason why I've always refused to shoot with a video camera, because I prefer to enjoy the KISS show, instead of being concentrated and worried about filming in the correct way. I always try not to disturb anybody behind or next to me when taking pics.

highvoltage1969
The Originals II (1978)

Postby highvoltage1969 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:27 pm

I'd rather enjoy the gig and immerse myself in the occasion than be fiddling around with my phone trying to take a wobbly photo or shoot a couple of minutes of footage. The only time I've ever done it was when Bon Jovi played Twickenham and that was only because I was bored shitless and was trying to kill some time.

Drives me round the bend! I'm pretty sure it's some sort of mass psychosis that makes hoards of people whip out their phones and wave them around in the air like lunatic raffle ticket winners every time a band arrives on stage.

It's supposed to be a visceral experience, a gig, isn't it?

Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 pm

:D Well i wish i had got a camera the last time i watched Thin Lizzy,all i got left is distant memories and ticket stub :(

A few pictures of the times i got to see Randy Rhoads with Ozzy would be priceless to me now :(

(ps FJ, have i ever told you i got to see Randy Rhoads TWICE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)

Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 pm

ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)

Glammy Dave
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby Glammy Dave » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Dont see anything wrong with it myself,if thats what ya wanna do at a gig,I take a few pics,not usually vid though as the sound is crap.Whilst there ive never noticed them being a nuisance im usually far to busy jumping round upsetting people somewhere near the front...........
"Glams Not Dead,I`m Still Alive"

largebloke
Alive II (1977)

Postby largebloke » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I like to take a few pictures at a show - I do a video every now and then as well even though the sound can be a little pants if I am too near the speakers. For taking the still ones, I wait until it's a song I'm not particularly in to, and spend that 3 or 4 minutes taking a few pictures, and then put the camera away.
I do agree that some people go way too mad and it must get in the way of their enjoyment of the show. When I saw KISS in December, a guy in the front row spent the entire time looking at his camera rather than at the stage. I guess it's his money, and he can do what he wants.
When did Motley Crue become Classic Rock?

skinnymartin

Postby skinnymartin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Taking a few pics don't stop you doin' a bit of rockin' out. I love to take pics at gigs - but I always have a good time.

Nearly bust my camera in a mosh pit at the Alestorm gig at Wacken 2008. Also took part in a wall of death with my video camera running at Wacken - that was a giggle.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes

Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Postby Father Jack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 pm

minikiss
KISS (1974)

Postby minikiss » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 pm

I dont mind people taking a few pics but not all the way through a gig.
I went to the Islington show stood in front of Gene took a couple of pics of the great sweaty one then put my phone away.
To me the best bit of the gig is get down by the front and get jumping with everybody
Maybe its just me but i hardly look at pics of my own family nevermind pics of bands!!

Return to “General KISS Chat”