The PRICE OF PETROL Again.......

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Re: The PRICE OF PETROL Again.......

Post by crad »

Pete wrote:
crad wrote:
Pete wrote:Anyone want to buy an 07 Ford Fiesta? 33500 miles on the clock, serviced and MOT'd for 12 months. Tax due end of August.

Let me know as I won't be able to afford to drive it soon...
Now let me see Ford Fiesta Hair Dressers car !! Image
No that's a Fiat Punto...
Your Second car ! :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD
Pete

Post by Pete »

crad wrote:Your Second car ! :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes. Ruth's car.(And she's a qualified Hair Dresser... :razz:)

Anyway the point I was trying to make was that very soon normal folks like you & I will be priced out of our cars...surely that can't be good for the economy? No one going anywhere because they can't afford to drive...
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
crad

Post by crad »

Pete wrote:
crad wrote:Your Second car ! :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes. Ruth's car.(And she's a qualified Hair Dresser... :razz:)

Anyway the point I was trying to make was that very soon normal folks like you & I will be priced out of our cars...surely that can't be good for the economy? No one going anywhere because they can't afford to drive...
Trouble is mate, They banned smoking everywhere Pubs etc So they bang on about people giving up.(i GAVE UP LAST YEAR)
So everyone stops smoking !!! No revenue from ciggies oh fook :roll: I know lets put fuel up so noboby can afford to run there cars,Everyone will get a
Dodgem car (Runs on electricty) Oh fook no revenue from fuel Wtf
Next government bunch of Numptys come in & back to square one the way this country is run is a fooking joke.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Nice to see the government remaining calm and not creating an enviroment of panic with the rumoured tanker driver strikes....

Oh...wait.... :roll:
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
markunderwood
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Post by markunderwood »

I saw an interesting blog page the other day. While it sounds a bit conspiracy-theory like you never know.

"This government continues to astound. Today, they have managed the impossible: to cause petrol shortages without any actual strike.

The height of incompetence some might argue - with some confidence. But here comes another one of my silly questions.

Last quarter's growth figure has just been downgraded by the Office of Budget Responsibility to -0.3%. The OBR said they "still expect the economy to avoid a technical recession with positive growth in the first quarter of 2012, although another fall cannot be ruled out given the volatility of quarterly output estimates." Total growth for 2012 is expected to be a shaky 0.8%, so the first quarter's figure is estimated to be minuscule.

The implications for this Government of having a second consecutive quarter of negative growth are gigantic. It puts the UK into "technical recession". It, almost inevitably, would herald more weeks of miserable headlines.

So, in the last few days of this quarter, there may be more of an agenda in encouraging people to panic-buy everything from cigarettes, pasties and stamps to £2m properties. There may be a more obscure objective in advising every household to spend all their disposable income (or borrow from pay-day lenders). There may be more than meets the eye to frightening an entire country into filling up every tank of our 31m vehicles - plus a few cans in the garage for good measure.

If it means that growth for this quarter is nudged up into an anaemic positive figure and the broader economic incompetence of this shower of Monty Python characters is disguised, it will have been worth it. So what, if some plebeian is blown up in his garage while trying to heat his jumbo sausage roll with a blow-torch? They will be safely breaking bread in no.10 with their billionaire donors, safe and sound."
Pete

Post by Pete »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22540650
David Cameron 'deeply' concerned by oil price fixing claims

David Cameron is extremely concerned by claims of price fixing by major oil companies, Downing Street has said.

The prime minister's spokesman said it was "deeply worrying" if prices have been driven up for consumers.

Oil giants including BP and Shell are facing claims they have been fixing prices for more than a decade.

It follows a raid on the offices of BP, Royal Dutch Shell, and Norway's Statoil by European anti-trust regulators.

The companies said they were co-operating with investigators.

In a Commons statement, Energy Secretary Ed Davey said the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) was working with European Commission investigators but stressed their inquiries were at a very early stage and urged MPs not to "jump the gun".

'Limp-wristed'

But he promised the "full force of the law" would be brought down on the companies if the allegations were found to be true.

"This government is deeply concerned by any allegation that prices for consumers could have been artificially or unnecessarily driven up," the Lib Dem cabinet minister told MPs.

"The UK government and regulators will provide any assistance necessary to the European investigators and we expect the companies concerned to fully comply with these investigations."

He also defended the Office of Fair trading which found no evidence of price fixing when it carried out its own investigation into the petrol market last year.

Tory MP Robert Halfon, who has been campaigning for cuts to fuel duty and greater transparency, attacked the OFT's inquiry as "limp-wristed and lettuce-like".

Despite calls for a full probe into petrol pricing, amid claims of price fixing by a whistleblower, the regulator had failed to spot any of the allegations now being investigated by the EU, said Mr Halfon.

'Shocking behaviour'

He called on the government to change the law so that people could be jailed "for fixing oil prices" and for any cash recovered in fines, if the companies are found guilty, to be returned to motorists.

Caroline Flint, responding for Labour, said the allegations "if true" were an example of "shocking behaviour in the oil market which should be dealt with strongly".

She called on the OFT to re-open its investigation into the petrol market.

Mr Davey said the OFT was an "independent body, a strong body", which has powers to determine its own investigations and the government could not interfere.

He rejected accusations of complacency from some MPs, saying the government had tightened up competition laws.

European Commission officials said its investigators made the "unannounced inspections" on Tuesday amid concerns that "the companies may have colluded in reporting distorted prices".

It did not name the firms, and emphasised that the raids did not mean the companies were guilty of any charges.

'Huge impact'

But BP, Shell, and Statoil, and also the oil pricing agency Platts, confirmed that they were working with the authorities in their inquiries.

In a statement the European Commission said: "Even small distortions of assessed prices may have a huge impact on the prices of crude oil, refined oil products and biofuels purchases and sales, potentially harming final consumers,'"

As part of the investigation, the Commission said it was examining whether the companies may have prevented others from participating in the pricing process "with a view to distorting published prices".

It added: "Any such behaviour, if established, may amount to violations of European antitrust rules that prohibit cartels and restrictive business practices and abuses of a dominant market position."
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
crad

Post by crad »

So Cam ''MORON'' Is Deeply concerned eh Ok if he is that concerned give us back the extra fuel duty he has made from the extortionate price's.
Pete

Post by Pete »

crad wrote:So Cam ''MORON'' Is Deeply concerned eh Ok if he is that concerned give us back the extra fuel duty he has made from the extortionate price's.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was feeling a little down today, however that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!!!

Thanks! :D
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
crad

Post by crad »

As suspected by many people for years that there has been something not right with the prices of oil,fuel etc,Oil goes up On a Mon,Pump prices go up Tues,Old fuel at an inflated rate,surely this can't have been right ..
What gets me why has it taken this long to be investigated .
frontier(s)
Alive II (1977)

Post by frontier(s) »

This is all such an appallingly deceitful smokescreen.

Who cares what the oil companies charge? They extract it, refine it, transport it, market it and make it available conveniently to everyone. That they can do so and still make a big profit on c.40p a litre is a monument to human ingenuity and effort.

Then the government add c.£1 for doing absolutely fu*k all.

And, let's not forget, they also charge the oil companies tax and they take tax and NI from all the oil companies' employees.

It sickens me when the government blames the oil companies for high petrol prices.
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

Lets have a war !!
Oh hang on, you need fuel for a war. :(
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

I agree with you that the cost of fuel is high, but remember the fuel duty escalator isn't there anymore - with that you would be paying even more.

The point about fuel goes beyond car drivers. Logistics is about 90% of the cost of goods, a fair part of that is fuel, so the more tax there is on fuel, the more goods cost.

On the flip side - where would you take the money from. There ain't any at the moment.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
frontier(s)
Alive II (1977)

Post by frontier(s) »

skinnymartin wrote:I agree with you that the cost of fuel is high,
No, the cost of petrol is very low. The various taxes that are added to it, with 20% VAT then charged on those taxes, it what makes it horrendously expensive to purchase at the pumps.
skinnymartin wrote: but remember the fuel duty escalator isn't there anymore - with that you would be paying even more.
True. However, that's a bit like somebody mugging you of your phone and wallet but then throwing you a fiver of your own money and saying, 'At least you can get the bus home'.
skinnymartin wrote: The point about fuel goes beyond car drivers. Logistics is about 90% of the cost of goods, a fair part of that is fuel, so the more tax there is on fuel, the more goods cost.
Absolutely, it's crippling the nation as it essentially adds additional cost, plus that 20% VAT on all those increased costs again, to everything. Goods, services, transport - literally everything.
skinnymartin wrote: On the flip side - where would you take the money from. There ain't any at the moment.
Fuel duty brings in about £38bn a year at the moment, although, ironically, the constant tax increases have made it so expensive that the government are now estimated to be losing around £18bn due to lower sales.

So, you could cut the tax rate and take more revenue, or you could cut the Welfare Budget by 15% and let everyone buy petrol at 40p a litre.