Dr Who

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
Pete

Re: Dr Who

Post by Pete »

So. What did we think of 'The Waters of Mars' then?
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

Pete wrote:So. What did we think of 'The Waters of Mars' then?
I thought it was excellent tbh and might be one to watch with the pause button with the wiki like entries.
PhoeniX PhiL
The Originals (1976)

Post by PhoeniX PhiL »

So then what did everyone think.....

My sixpence...

When I saw the 3D advert for the new Dr.Who in the cinema I cringed and thought the worse BUT it was all rather ace wasn't it. I said to a friend that it was "effortlessly entertaining". Which as the RTD / Tennant era was becoming a little laboured I found to be a welcome relief.

The mad cgi crash landing opening was the stuff of eternal 8 year old's dreams and the fussy eater introduction to the new doctor was note perfect. Even the most stoney hearted cynical hearts out there must have sunk when little Amelia packed all her belongings into a little suitcase and ran out to the front garden and waited ..and waited...

In the best news ever I thought Matt Smith nailed it... maybe he was a bit too Tennanty (although this seemed to fade through out the episode and I'm sure was a deliberate safety play)... but he also had a dash of the brave friendly uncle-ness of the 3rd Doctor mixed with with bit of a 2nd doctor clumsy accidental hero / Columbo vibe where your never quite sure if he does actually know how to save the day until the end (and even then there's a feeling that he got lucky) which was refreshing after the 10th / 11th doctors "I've been everywhere, got an answer for everything and everybody's in awe of me" ways. Anyhow when the 11th Doctor stepped through the bubble showing all the previous doctors, any doubts over his casting were surely put to rest.

My only grumble is Y O Y O Y O Y does the assistant always have to be a woman on the run from her dull life and pathetic boyfriend. Plus I wish they'd stop all this fancying the doctor nonsense... i though Matt Smith's wonky face would be the device to do this BUT NO apparentally he looks good naked. As someone who hasn't thought much of the 10th / 11th doctors companions (apart from Martha), Amy seems like a great companion but after such an intriguing and touching introduction I wish they given her a slightly more exciting storyline (escaping an alien boyfriend... or being an alien herself... or even the stranded daughter of a time lord.. i mean just who were her parents and what happened to her supposedly cruel aunt who we never got to see?) rather than re-hashing Rose's.

Multi assistants would be cool (I remember when i was very little and Peter Davidson used to go round with a clutch of young adults... the Tardis was almost like a galactic youth club) and seeing as they like to include some kind of sexuality into the tardis these days it means that the love story could blossom between assistants. Or even hate and betrayal between assistants leaving the Dr in the middle of it all. SO much potential but they're sticking with the Dr and Assistant going through the "Gold Blend Advert" motions.

Oh and I long for the day when the inside of the Tardis is white again but you cant have everything.

Anyhow, good stuff... naturally Blink 2 can only disappoint but I'm looking forward to it (especially if it's Dr.Who & Amy vs. Weeping Angels locked in the Tardis).
Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

PhoeniX PhiL wrote:My only grumble is Y O Y O Y O Y does the assistant always have to be a woman on the run from her dull life and pathetic boyfriend.
How do we know it's the boyfriend she's marrying ?

A lot can happen in two years and that's a BIG assumption for NuWHo