Shirt Request - The mighty Gunners

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
skinnymartin

Shirt Request - The mighty Gunners

Post by skinnymartin »

As some of you are aware I was in Namibia working in a Town called Otjiwarongo ona project to improve local Government in Africa. One of the most inspiring week's work I have ever done.

Whilst I was in Otjiwarongo I happily discovered that their local team is called The Mighty Gunners - so I am now a proud owner of one of their shirts (which I paid for!!)

I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but Premier League and European football is absolutely massive out there, with loads of people wearing footie strips. There is also a Multi-Purpose centre in the Town, funded by a Dutch Chamber of Commerce Project from a Town called Guesden, which supports the most impoverished in the community, feeding about 120 people a day - many of them children, but also providing clothing and advice on Aids and other issues (Aids is a huge problem in Namibia, with the rate much, much higher amongst the poorer communities).

I would love to be able to send a few football shirts out there. So if anyone has any they are no longer using, or any old Children's football shirts, please contact me and I'll PM you my address so you can send them to me. I am making similar requests to some of my Gooner contacts.

The children out there stole my heart. They live in dreadful conditions but laugh and play their way through life in a way that we seem to have forgotten.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes