Kissin' UK Wants YOU

Talk about anything KISS related here.
daniel3786
Paul Stanley (1978)

Re: Kissin' UK Wants YOU

Postby daniel3786 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 pm

nicksmithworld wrote:Why not make available everyone’s real name and LOCATION – NOT address , to MEMBERS only. If you are unwilling to do this then you can’t post? This seems fair enough to me.

I still don't understand why you would need somebody's full name, if everyone was to give their full name what difference would that make unless you were to trace exactly where they lived, I am happy to know everyones first names and thats it, a full name to me does not make a difference unless you have another motive for requiring somebody's full name.

w00dy

Postby w00dy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:17 pm

I can't understand why ppl use a forum but sign in as 'invisible'. Doesn't seem any point to me.

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Postby nicksmithworld » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 pm

daniel3786 wrote:
nicksmithworld wrote:Why not make available everyone’s real name and LOCATION – NOT address , to MEMBERS only. If you are unwilling to do this then you can’t post? This seems fair enough to me.

I still don't understand why you would need somebody's full name, if everyone was to give their full name what difference would that make unless you were to trace exactly where they lived, I am happy to know everyones first names and thats it, a full name to me does not make a difference unless you have another motive for requiring somebody's full name.

what ulterior motive??? no-one can steal your identity with just a name?? you could pick a name out of the phone book for that and have their address to boot?? is everyone paranoid on here??

I give up, YOU solve this then
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

daniel3786
Paul Stanley (1978)

Postby daniel3786 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm

nicksmithworld wrote:what ulterior motive??? no-one can steal your identity with just a name?? you could pick a name out of the phone book for that and have their address to boot?? is everyone paranoid on here??

I give up, YOU solve this then

Motive was maybe the wrong word, from your post I got the impression by knowing everyone's full name people would resist to name calling and insulting other members, I just can't see how that would effect it. Myself included and probably most members would just post as they would normally, there full name displayed or not..

Guitar Guru
Dressed To Kill (1975)

Postby Guitar Guru » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm

nicksmithworld wrote:
Why not make available everyone’s real name and LOCATION – NOT address , to MEMBERS only. If you are unwilling to do this then you can’t post? This seems fair enough to me.

Doesnt stop people lying about it though
Mods shoud be able to see IP addresses from troublesome posters though if need be
http://www.felineguitars.com
Pro-spec, no compromise guitars , hand crafted in the UK
Past customers include Dressed To Kill, Parasite and Hard Rock Cafe

kissinuk
Administrator

Postby kissinuk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Guitar Guru wrote:
nicksmithworld wrote:
Why not make available everyone’s real name and LOCATION – NOT address , to MEMBERS only. If you are unwilling to do this then you can’t post? This seems fair enough to me.

Doesnt stop people lying about it though
Mods shoud be able to see IP addresses from troublesome posters though if need be

I already have access to ip addresses, but they're not perfect. For example most people posting from aol have the same ip. I would like names to be captured in the registration (currently they're not) but you're right that people can lie about who they are.

Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Postby Downy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:39 pm

I can see good points in this real name address thing from both sides of the discussion.
If this was to happen then really only Paul should have access to these.
I mean lets be honest their has been a few very strange people register on here over the last couple of years and I for one would not want them to have my real name location cause if you have a bad time on here with them things could turn nasty and they can get hold of your address.
I dont think usernames are hiding but it's a trust thing,once you get to know people on here and have meet ups at gigs and stuff then you give more details to them when you feel comfortable.
But I really dont see that knowing their real name will make any difference to be honest.

Karl
Gene Simmons (1978)

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:43 pm

Paul, check out the phpbb mods section, there is one available for mandatory fields.

I use this on my forum, which enforces location. This doesn't stop people putting in fun names, but most fill out normally.
I like the extra filed for new users accounts. That normally stops spam accounts, but every now and again, the bots will find a way through.

Tracking IP addresses is also useful. Most spam accounts will usually come from a block of IP addresses.
When a new user account is created, log the IP into a spreadsheet. Over time you can sort these, and get an idea of blocking whole address ranges, as well as the common spam email hosts.
Official Kiss Army member #1960

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:07 am

My point is Accountability, people behave a lot better in a society where they can be held accountable for their actions. Most people on here will know other members on here and can verify each other. If we know who is who then it's not so easy to be smug and anonymous. THIS is what I am trying to get across.

maybe this is why identity cards haven't happened....
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 am

nicksmithworld wrote:
Pete wrote:
nicksmithworld wrote:as per usual - sarcasm, piss-taking but NO actual solutions.... :roll:

So what do YOU want then Nick?
How can we improve (if needs be) the forum? What solutions do you want to see?

Moderators are a necessary evil. I am against the concept of censorship per se but as some people are unable to self-censor, it does appear to be necessary.

My ‘who you are’ idea has been taken out of context and completely misconstrued as per usual.I never said put your name and Address on a PUBLIC forum. My point, and it still stands is to NOT HIDE behind an anonymous Pseudonym

WHY for example do people NOT USE the location line in the address box far right?? Why put some facetious and Vulgar riposte “Chowing down between your girlfriend's legs” for example rather that your ACTUAL location?? This has a purpose, what have you got to hide? Because it’s easier to let rip if there is no come-back.

Ok. I see.

Thanks for that. I have changed my location to my actual location (tho the sunny bit is debateable!) and I am no longer hidden. If this helps create a more friendly and open forum then I'm all for it. After all that's what we're trying to achieve here.
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

highvoltage1969
The Originals II (1978)

Postby highvoltage1969 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 am

My name is Paul and I'm from London (this is a bit like an AA meeting).

Interesting topic. I've always thought that a forum should be viewable to members only.

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am

highvoltage1969 wrote:My name is Paul and I'm from London (this is a bit like an AA meeting).

Interesting topic. I've always thought that a forum should be viewable to members only.

:lol: Well the thread does seem to have taken a certain direction, however the main point remains the same. Help us to improve the forum. Either post it here or PM any of the mods or admin. :D

Thanks
Pete
Image *-) $-) ACE-) 3-) Image

dtkdemongene
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Postby dtkdemongene » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:04 am

nicksmithworld wrote:WHY for example do people NOT USE the location line in the address box far right?? Why put some facetious and Vulgar riposte “Chowing down between your girlfriend's legs” for example rather that your ACTUAL location?? This has a purpose, what have you got to hide? Because it’s easier to let rip if there is no come-back.

That's b*ll*x Nick.... everyone knows who I am and that I'm from the South East... and I'm just having a typical 'Gene-style' laugh with my "chowing' quote... get over it. :roll:
My username gives away who I am to anyone not sure and I can easily be contacted through this site or one of the DTK sites. I hardly have anything to hide do I?!?

And I don't feel any need to publish any more/different info about myself than I already have, thank you very much....
Live the KISS experience with the World's longest running/Europe's #1 KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill'.
http://www.dressedtokill.org.uk
http://www.myspace.com/kisstributeuk
The PERSONAL choice of Gene Simmons - "Accept NO substitutes!"

nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:07 pm

dtkdemongene wrote:
nicksmithworld wrote:WHY for example do people NOT USE the location line in the address box far right?? Why put some facetious and Vulgar riposte “Chowing down between your girlfriend's legs” for example rather that your ACTUAL location?? This has a purpose, what have you got to hide? Because it’s easier to let rip if there is no come-back.

That's b*ll*x Nick.... everyone knows who I am and that I'm from the South East... and I'm just having a typical 'Gene-style' laugh with my "chowing' quote... get over it. :roll:
My username gives away who I am to anyone not sure and I can easily be contacted through this site or one of the DTK sites. I hardly have anything to hide do I?!?

And I don't feel any need to publish any more/different info about myself than I already have, thank you very much....

Gary that wasn't a dig at you as you well know. My point still stands, if people aren't anonymous then they are less likely to post gratuitous, fatuous comments.We can have intelligent debate rather than slanging matches...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AnonymousDemotivator.jpg

Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:02 pm

:D Put it to the public, open a new topic with a vote pole.simple question ,do you want to display your name & location :D

over to you nick :D
ImageImageImageImage

(only my opinion,in no way am i insulting you....statement copyright of plugtwot)

Return to “General KISS Chat”