First live gig you ever went to....

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
Frehley75

Re: First live gig you ever went to....

Post by Frehley75 »

The Jam, De Montfort Hall, Leicester, 22 March 1982.
"Hi, I'm Rich Pelley. I'm on the guest list."

"Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom"
starchildmark
Music From "The Elder" (1981)

Post by starchildmark »

Dan bach wrote: My first festival - Donington Monsters of Rock, August 1983 ....
Diamond Head, Dio, Twisted Sister, ZZTop, Meat Loaf and Whitesnake
That was my first festival too Dan
Deuce
The Originals II (1978)

Post by Deuce »

ACDC - April ( I think) 76 at The Northants County Cricket Club at a grand age of 11. Rumour has it that Angus was 'roughed up' a bit by a local Biker gang, who took offense to the school boy outfit after the gig. I remember it being loud and intimidating (probably all those big hairy bikers ). Didn't put me off gigs though.

ACDC also headlined my 1st festival - Monsters of Rock August 1981, along with Whitesnake, Blue Oyster Cult, Slade, Blackfoot and Moore. I won my ticket in the local rag, and they even arranged free transport on a coach trip that was going from where I live (nice). Highlight of the day apart from DC was singing 'Merry Xmas Everybody' along with 40,000 others in the middle of August when Noddy Holder had asked the crowd what they wanted to hear, after a unanimous MXE, he shouted 'well you fuckin' sing it'. And sing it we did, along with the bottle fight, 90% back then were empty and certainly those that did have something in, were not of a pee nature, just mostly flat beer / lager /cider. And only a little at that, as it gave the bottle the ability to 'fly' further. Oh how I wish for every Donington to have been the same as this one. Kiss / Ozzy (96) was my last Donington, and great memories of that I have too, I have never attended a 'Download'.

Deuce
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Steve

---------------------------------------------

Stand by my side, I'll be there for you......

Get up! and get your Grandma outta here
The Hendon Kiss Army
Ace Frehley (1978)

Post by The Hendon Kiss Army »

first gig was Gary Glitter aged 10 ( no paedo jokes please) at The Rainbow in 1974 which was fantastic with my mate and his dad.

First without an adult was The Sweet at The Lyceum Jan 1981 when Duran Duran were suppossed to have supported and pulled out at the last minute. Sweet have had a massive influence on all my life and as some of you know I met Mrs HKA on their forum 5 years ago.

First festival was also Donnington 1981. What a great line up and as a massive Slade fan it was very special. The bottle fights were legendary. It made me laugh when my step daughter said she had been in a bottle fight at Sonisphere when about 3 small bottles were chucked during Bring Me The Horizon. The drummer for More who were first on that bill lives opposite a good friend of ours. he was also at Sonisphere but I didn't get to meet him.
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Post by RippingFleshFromBone »

Queen at Newcastle City Hall - Night At The opera tour December 1975.

What a way to start... :D
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

MrBlackwell
Alive II (1977)

Post by MrBlackwell »

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Queen at Newcastle City Hall - Night At The opera tour December 1975.

A GREAT way to start. I managed to see Queen on their 'Kind Of Magic' Tour. Really glad I got to see them before the sad death of Freddy.
High Priest of Kisstianity.

Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Post by Dan bach »

MrBlackwell wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Queen at Newcastle City Hall - Night At The opera tour December 1975.

A GREAT way to start. I managed to see Queen on their 'Kind Of Magic' Tour. Really glad I got to see them before the sad death of Freddy.
RFFB, a great first gig

MrB, I saw that tour - Manchester and Knebworth.
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Dan, I was at the Knebworth gig - it was awesome. The view from the back of hte whole crowd hand calapping during Radio Ga Ga is something I will always remember.

That was a great year - saw Gary Moore, Big Country, Jethro Tull and Marillion at the Garden Party in MK bowl.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Post by Dan bach »

skinnymartin wrote:Dan, I was at the Knebworth gig - it was awesome. The view from the back of hte whole crowd hand calapping during Radio Ga Ga is something I will always remember.

That was a great year - saw Gary Moore, Big Country, Jethro Tull and Marillion at the Garden Party in MK bowl.
Well Martin, that accounts for two of the 109,000 or so who saw Freddie Mercury's last ever live performance.

Garden Party, Milton Keynes Bowl - awesome gig - Mamas Boys were there two.
I love Fish era Marillion with a passion.

Big Country supported Queen.

You missed out Status Quo too - they were main support to Queen - two years or so after they did the Farewell Tour :roll:
Bay
Best Of The Solo Albums (1979)

Post by Bay »

Dan bach wrote:
skinnymartin wrote:Dan, I was at the Knebworth gig - it was awesome. The view from the back of hte whole crowd hand calapping during Radio Ga Ga is something I will always remember.

Well Martin, that accounts for two of the 109,000 or so who saw Freddie Mercury's last ever live performance.

Garden Party, Milton Keynes Bowl - awesome gig - Mamas Boys were there two.
I love Fish era Marillion with a passion.

Big Country supported Queen.

You missed out Status Quo too - they were main support to Queen - two years or so after they did the Farewell Tour :roll:
Ah remember the Garden Party well guys, how bleedin hot was it?? I got sunburnt through my shirt! :shock: :D :D :D
ImageImageImageImage
The Hendon Kiss Army
Ace Frehley (1978)

Post by The Hendon Kiss Army »

Outside of kiss, Queen at Knebworth has to be best gig I have ever been to. If I remember the weather was really hot.

I also saw them at Wembley Stadium with INXS and Quo, pouring with rain but another magic day
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Both Knebworth and the Garden Party were really hot - and yes it is likely I got my acts muddled up.

Wish the original Marillion would get back together.

A world without heroes
Without heroes
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I saw that tour at The Rainbow,Finsbury Park. :D
Bay

Post by Bay »

skinnymartin wrote:Both Knebworth and the Garden Party were really hot - and yes it is likely I got my acts muddled up.

Amen to that, i did see the original line up at HighVoltage, but Fish was only watching from the audience sadly :(
ImageImageImageImage
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Bay wrote:
skinnymartin wrote:Both Knebworth and the Garden Party were really hot - and yes it is likely I got my acts muddled up.

Amen to that, i did see the original line up at HighVoltage, but Fish was only watching from the audience sadly :(
The fact that he was watching may be a good sign. I suspect Steve Hogarth would be a bit pissed off if it did happen!!

A world without heroes
Without heroes