The Van Halen Thread

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Re: Van Halen playing with heads...............!

Post by Downy »

skinnymartin wrote:
Downy wrote:I knew that they were from old demos already as I have quite a few bootlegs of the demos.
It's not a crime to create new songs from old demos.
you're right but IMHO it should be a crime to create that particular piece of dross from an old demo.
That's you opinion and youre entitled to it even though your opinion is a load of Bo**ocks!! :lol:
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Post by Sour Mash »

I knowtrhe British are Renowed for being Negative and moaning..

But sometimes I think KissinUK are A fuc*ing Disgrace....... :lol: :roll:
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..
Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

Sour Mash wrote:I knowtrhe British are Renowed for being Negative and moaning..

Opinions sometimes differ, when people call others idiots for theirs it makes you wonder. But hey ho it's only a joke :roll:
nicksmithworld
Killers (1982)
Location: Wolverhampton "You are the rock'n'roll capital of the World!"

Post by nicksmithworld »

The track isn't dross..the problem is that expectations were just TOO high...and that track is a bit lacklustre. A van halen riff should make you want to bounce around like a 4 year on a bouncy castle for the first time..this wouldn't spill the tea at a vicar's tea party. Roth should be yelling the lyrics in your face like a Korean woman who's just been short-changed. And the fat kid on bass, don't give a boy a man's job..that man is Micheal Anthony..they know it and WE know it...
feel free to feel offended, cyber-bullied, put out, outside of the clique, side-lined, marginalised or just generally have the piss taken out of. However it's a JOKE!-Nick's Mirth World!
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Post by Sour Mash »

Mr.Spireite wrote:
Sour Mash wrote:I knowtrhe British are Renowed for being Negative and moaning..

Opinions sometimes differ, when people call others idiots for theirs it makes you wonder. But hey ho it's only a joke :roll:
Dont you start :twisted:
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..
Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

Ehh ?
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Post by RippingFleshFromBone »

Pete wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:
Downy wrote:I knew that they were from old demos already as I have quite a few bootlegs of the demos.
It's not a crime to create new songs from old demos.
Maybe not, but it's a bit worrying when at least 2 songs on a new album are from demo's before the 1st album was put out! And neither of them are particularly good either.

Doesn't say much for new creativity... :wink:
Absolutely, I mean any band that takes an old song and reworks it to a new song just ain't playing fair...
But then 'Nobody's Perfect' are they... :wink:
Point proven then...cos I really don't like that song at all!!!!... :lol:
downy wrote:All bands have rework demos from years ago at some point in their career without you even knowing.
I bet even your beloved Kiss has at some point.
True. It's not the reworking that's the problem, it's simply that after almost 30 yrs apart I'd have thought they'd have enough ideas for new songs without having to go back to the start and use songs that weren't good enough to be included on any album until now!
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

Mr.Spireite
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Mr.Spireite »

For me expectations are a problem for any band getting together I mean expectations for Psycgo Circus were huge and they for me delivered a great album but people didn't buy into it for some reason.

Psycho Circus sounded like a modern KISS to me, not sure of this Van Halen track as the lead single. Though strangely I do really like She's The Woman...
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

I have absolutely no problem with reworking old songs and old demos if that's what they want to do, it's just not very well done (understatement of the year)- that is the problem (IMHO). As for bringing Psycho Circus into the equation. Well, I really like i, still listen to it and think stuff like We re One, In Your Face, Into the Void and others are great tracks.

I forced myself to listen to Tattoo again today and I have to say that it is worse than anything KISS have ever put out, including the multitude of 2nd rate tracks that are on Unmasked and the worst of Carnival of Souls - but then I know others disagree with me about that.
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
PyroMessiah86

Post by PyroMessiah86 »

Pete

Post by Pete »

nicksmithworld wrote:The track isn't dross..the problem is that expectations were just TOO high...and that track is a bit lacklustre. A van halen riff should make you want to bounce around like a 4 year on a bouncy castle for the first time..this wouldn't spill the tea at a vicar's tea party. Roth should be yelling the lyrics in your face like a Korean woman who's just been short-changed. And the fat kid on bass, don't give a boy a man's job..that man is Micheal Anthony..they know it and WE know it...
This.
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
Downy
Dynasty (1979)

Post by Downy »

True. It's not the reworking that's the problem, it's simply that after almost 30 yrs apart I'd have thought they'd have enough ideas for new songs without having to go back to the start and use songs that weren't good enough to be included on any album until now!
@RFFB,This is not strictly correct as some songs are really great songs but they dont have the room to fit on the album or they dont sound like they fit with the rest of the album so they get left in the vaults and years later they get put out on new albums or boxsets and turn out to be great songs and people think why didnt they put this on the album it was demoed for.
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Downy wrote:
@RFFB,This is not strictly correct as some songs are really great songs but they dont have the room to fit on the album or they dont sound like they fit with the rest of the album so they get left in the vaults and years later they get put out on new albums or boxsets and turn out to be great songs and people think why didnt they put this on the album it was demoed for.
Yep, you have a point but, personally, I rarely find that those 'rare' demos are actually any good and you usually see why they didn't make an album.

The exception to this would have to be Gene's 'Street Legal' demos. Some great stuff on there.

But Paul's 'Sword & Stone' & 'Time Traveller' are great examples of songs that should have stayed hidden.

I'm just surprised VH had to go way back to the start to find some inspiration. Surely they have better songs lying around than those too choose from?

Pete

Post by Pete »

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Yep, you have a point but, personally, I rarely find that those 'rare' demos are actually any good and you usually see why they didn't make an album.

The exception to this would have to be Gene's 'Street Legal' demos. Some great stuff on there.

But Paul's 'Sword & Stone' & 'Time Traveller' are great examples of songs that should have stayed hidden.

I'm just surprised VH had to go way back to the start to find some inspiration. Surely they have better songs lying around than those too choose from?
I like those two. :oops: :D
*-) $-) ACE-) 3-)
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Pete wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:Yep, you have a point but, personally, I rarely find that those 'rare' demos are actually any good and you usually see why they didn't make an album.

I like those two. :oops: :D
As you like the 80's era KISS I am in no way surprised by that!!!