Statement from Bill Ward re Sabbath reunion

Talk about other bands... or whatever!
w00dy

Statement from Bill Ward re Sabbath reunion

Post by w00dy »

Just seen this on Metal Hammers website.
Dear Sabbath Fans, Fellow Musicians and Interested Parties,

At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a “signable” contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band. Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with Tony, Ozzy and Geezer. And on 11/11/11, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference. Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another “unsignable” contract was handed to me.

Let me say that although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with Black Sabbath.

Since the news of Tony’s illness, and the understanding that the band would move production to the U.K., I’ve spent everyday getting to or living in a place of readiness to leave. That involves something of a task, and as I’ve tried to find out what’s going on with the U.K. sessions, I’ve realized that I’ve been getting “the cold shoulder” (and, I might add, not for the first time). Feeling somewhat ostracized, my guess is as of today, I will know nothing of what’shappening unless I sign “the unsignable contract.”

The place I’m in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, I also have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign as-is, I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician. I believe in freedom and freedom of speech. I grew up in a hard rock/metal band. We stood for something then, and we played from the heart with honesty and sincerity. I am in the spirit of integrity, far from the corporate malady, I am real and honest, fair and compassionate.

If I’m replaced, I have to face you, the beloved Sabbath fans. I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original Black Sabbath lineup as promoted. Without fault finding, I want to assure everyone that my loyalty to Sabbath is intact.

So here I am. I lay my truth down before you. I’m good to go IF I get a “signable” contract. I don’t want to let anyone down, especially Black Sabbath and all the Sabbath fans. You know I love you. It would be a sad day in Rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few.

My position is not greed-driven. I’m not holding out for a “big piece” of the action (money) like some kind of blackmail deal. I’d like something that recognizes and is reflective of my contributions to the band, including the reunions that started fourteen years ago. After the last tour I vowed to never again sign on to an unreasonable contract. I want a contract that shows some respect to me and my family, a contract that will honor all that I’ve brought to Black Sabbath since its beginning.

That’s the story so far.

Stay safe and stay strong.

I love every single one of you.

–Bill Ward
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Re: Statement from Bill Ward re Sabbath reunion

Post by Sour Mash »

Unsignable contract.? sounds about right especially as Sharon owns The Black sabbath name.................................
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dont Take Shit from anyone...ever....
Gene Simmons 1984..
grunge
Peter Criss (1978)
Location: Walsall, West Of The Midlands! Official KISS ARMY Member #1010 XBox Live: Oh4Q

Post by grunge »

Here we go again!

It's so sad that 4 blokes can't make music due to an overbearing witch!
Danger You, Danger Me, Danger Mouse!
Shock Me - Put on your black SWEATER!

ImageImageImage ImageImage
crad
Creatures Of The Night (1982)

Post by crad »

:roll: sounds like KK from priest :roll: greedy fookers
If offended please feel free to report me to your nearest MOD
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Post by RippingFleshFromBone »

Sour Mash wrote:Unsignable contract.? sounds about right especially as Sharon owns The Black sabbath name.................................
You sure?

From the Rooling Stone website:
"In his lawsuit, Ozzy asked that ownership of the Black Sabbath trademark be split equally between himself, Iommi and Sabbath's Geezer Butler and Bill Ward."

That isn't to say that's what happened but I can't see Tony Iommi letting Mrs O get her hands on the rights to the name?
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

Ma
Gene Simmons (1978)

Post by Ma »

crad wrote::roll: sounds like KK from priest :roll: greedy fookers
Ooooooooh dont say that about Plugs hero :lol:
Sleep with one eye open tonight Crabstick :lol: :lol:
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Post by Sour Mash »

RippingFleshFromBone wrote:
Sour Mash wrote:Unsignable contract.? sounds about right especially as Sharon owns The Black sabbath name.................................
You sure?

"In his lawsuit, Ozzy asked that ownership of the Black Sabbath trademark be split equally between himself, Iommi and Sabbath's Geezer Butler and Bill Ward."

That isn't to say that's what happened but I can't see Tony Iommi letting Mrs O get her hands on the rights to the name?
Thats exactly what happened the last reunion with ozzy sharon aid only if she buys the sabbath Name...Tony Iommi let her have it...they can not perform as Sabbath without Ozzy...Thats why Heaven and Hell where called that!!

it looks like Ozzy wants it splt 4 ways sharon doesnt thus offering Bill an unsignable contract..............
IAN

http://kissoffline2012.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gene Simmons 1984..
RippingFleshFromBone
Dynasty (1979)

Post by RippingFleshFromBone »

Sour Mash wrote:
RippingFleshFromBone wrote:
You sure?

Thats exactly what happened the last reunion with ozzy sharon aid only if she buys the sabbath Name...Tony Iommi let her have it...they can not perform as Sabbath without Ozzy...Thats why Heaven and Hell where called that!!

it looks like Ozzy wants it splt 4 ways sharon doesnt thus offering Bill an unsignable contract..............
Well that I did not know. Have to admit to being amazed that Tony Iommi let the name go seeing as he was the one who kept the band going.

I've never really paid much attention to Mrs O but I am beginning to see why she so disliked. If the original do get back together then it should be an equal split. I know Ozzy said it was his unique vocals that gave Sabbath it's sound, but seriously, Bill ward is one of the most underated drummers ever in my eyes.

He did some totally amazing work that, to me, gave Sabbath something other bands didn't have. Just as much as Ozzys voice made them unique so did Bill Wards druming along with Geezers bass and of course Tony's simply brilliant riffs.

4 unique styles and sounds.
ACK!...It's Rock 'n' Roll!!

crad

Post by crad »

Looks like there going ahead without Bill ..
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/black-sa ... ball-ward/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The recently reunited Black Sabbath have announced their intentions to continue on with their planned comeback tour and album without Bill Ward, just one day after the drummer threatened to not take part unless offered a “signable” contract that would properly financially reflect his contributions to the band’s history.

In other words, Ward wants more money and Sabbath aren’t going to give it to him.

“We were saddened to hear yesterday via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current Black Sabbath plans,” reads a statement from the band’s three other members — Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler — that was posted today on their Facebook page. “We have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open … We are still in the U.K. with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll … See you at Download!!!”

The recording sessions for what would be this Sabbath lineup’s first album since 1978′s ‘Never Say Die!’ already were sidetracked once before when Iommi revealed last month that he had been diagnosed with lymphoma. Following that news, the band relocated their recording sessions to London so that Iommi could be close to his doctors for treatment, although apparently Ward has not been taking part in the sessions.

In his lengthy open letter to fans, Ward stated that he “would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour,” but is unable to continue unless presented with a “contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward [him] as an original member of the band.” He claims that he has been receiving the “cold shoulder” from Sabbath since refusing to sign and hopes that fans don’t hold him responsible if the reunion does not materialize as promised. “My position is not greed driven,” he insists.

Black Sabbath are scheduled to rock the final night of the 10th annual Download fest, which takes place June 8-10 at Donington Park, England.

Let the “Dave Grohl joining Sabbath” rumors start……now!
Last edited by crad on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sour Mash
Unmasked (1980)

Post by Sour Mash »

crad...pete is the link man!!! stop trying to fill his boots while he is ahem....Away :D :D :D :wink:
IAN

Gene Simmons 1984..
Dan bach
Animalize (1984)

Post by Dan bach »

Are we bothered ......???????? I certainly ain't.

I saw the reunited Sabbs at Milton Keynes was it '97 or was it '98 then at the NEC too, Crimbo time.

I saw the Dio Sabbs lineup three times (as Heaven n' Hell) before Mr Dio passed on.

I saw the diff lineups of Sabbs from 1986 - 1992.

The only era lineup i haven't seen is the Gillan one - missed Reading 1983.

Awesome tunes, awesome metallic riffs, the orginators of the music i love ... but since money is pressing - a half reunited/fully reunited perhaps - Sabbath is not a gig priority at the mo.
skinnymartin

Post by skinnymartin »

Dan bach wrote:but since money is pressing - a half reunited/fully reunited perhaps - Sabbath is not a gig priority at the mo.
word bro!
Martin Curtis BA (Hons) ELL (Open)
(status accurate from 3 August 2010)

A world without heroes
Is like a world without sun
You can't look up to anyone
Without heroes
Father Jack
Greatest KISS (1996)

Post by Father Jack »

I think its quite sad actually.
This will more than likely be their swansong album and if so, surely why not split everything four ways ? They've all got more money than sense anyway.
Why close the final chapter of the bands history on such a sour note ?
fried alive
Ace Frehley (1978)

Post by fried alive »

crad

Post by crad »

Black Sabbath sounds determined to keep recording its next album without drummer Bill Ward —in fact, they may have already lined up his replacement. But disappointed fans who had been looking forward to a full reunion of the band’s original lineup aren’t taking the news lying down.

As of this writing, more than 8,000 people have joined the Facebook group ‘1,000,000 Black Sabbath Fans Say Yes To Bill Ward,’ lending public support to the drummer following his ouster over complaints regarding his reunion contract. As one Facebook post put it, “Bill Ward is not able to be substituted for… It is like a Zep record without (John) Bonham.”

Of course, Ward has left the band on multiple occasions in the past —and Sabbath has a long tradition of replacing almost all of its members at various points, including Ozzy Osbourne. But now that they’ve effectively been denied the reunion they were promised, a number of fans are understandably frustrated.

That hasn’t stopped the remaining Sabbath members from moving on without Ward; in fact, they’ve reportedly found his replacement in Osbourne’s drummer, Tommy Clufetos. This is just a rumor for now —and as the band put it in their announcement following Ward’s ouster, “our door is always open” —but it doesn’t look like either side is willing to back down in this argument.

What do you think? Will Ward’s removal keep you from seeing Sabbath on their 2012 tour, or buying the new album once it’s released?

Filed Under: Black Sabbath, Hot Off The Press